Inspire 2 Landing Gear Issue Identified And How To Fix!!!
16416 36 2017-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MadFrenchie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 914711 ft
United States

Hello,

I know I saw many posts about people having issues with the landing gear  getting stuck on the Inspire 2.  I spent a few hours today testing and  have figured out what triggers the issue, and also figure out how to  resolve the issue and land the Inspire.  

For those of you who don't know, people have complained that while  flying the Inspire 2's landing gear would get stuck it what looks like  travel mode, and will not go up or down no matter what they do.  This  causes them to have to catch the bird mid air, or land on 2 x 4's.  

Here is what triggers the event.. (Works Every Time) as well as how to Fix the Issue Mid Air (Works Every Time)

The Cause.

If you have the landing gear set to automatic, and you slowly land the  Inspire while the gear is in the raised position the gear will start  coming down.  If you happen to give the drone throttle while the gear is  coming down, the drone thinks you are no longer interested in landing,  and then causes the gear to STOP and stay in whatever position it is at.     I have also a few times see it stop going down, even if you continue  to try and land.

Toggling the landing gear up and down via the remote switch does  NOTHING.. no matter how often you do it.  So what do you do?   Its  actually very simple

The Solution

Raise the Inspire to about 20 or 30 feet in the air,  In the DJI Go 4  app press the Autoland button, and then slide the slider to the  right.... The drone will begin to decent, but oh no.. the landing gear  still doesn't come down...   Toggle the bird from GPS mode to ATTI  mode... the drone will then stop and hover in place..  Once it starts  hovering toggle the landing gear switch on the RC up, and then Down.    The landing gear will then begin to lower and allow you to land

This has worked EVERY single time I have tried it!!!

DJI.... Hint Hint... You may need to add a fix to the next firmware release!!

Hopefully this can help at least one person save their drone if it happens to them..                                                

2017-1-20
Use props
Geo66
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Very good work MadFrenchie!  I haven't had the landing gear problem yet but knowing how to avoid it will be reassuring.
2017-1-20
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Nevermind....
donnie

2017-1-21
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 768448 ft
United States

I have yet to fly mine because of bad weather, but I'm wondering if it's the mode change that actually resets the landing gear.  What if you switch to sport mode and then toggle the landing gear?  Also, why not just turn off automatic landing gear and control it manually until the fix comes?
2017-1-21
Use props
fans50052bcf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 228940 ft
United Kingdom

this did not work for me?
2017-1-25
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.3
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2017-1-21 14:47
I have yet to fly mine because of bad weather, but I'm wondering if it's the mode change that actually resets the landing gear.  What if you switch to sport mode and then toggle the landing gear?  Also, why not just turn off automatic landing gear and control it manually until the fix comes?

I actually did turn off the automatic landing gear after discovering the issue.. but now it seems to also happen when you hit the Return to Home button on the controller.

I was finishing up a flight and figure.. lets test the return to home... I pressed the button, the Inspire started heading back home.. then as it was coming down for a landing the software said "Lowering Landing Gear"    I keep an eye on it as it came down, and when it was low enough I noticed the landing gear was only 1/2 way down and stuck.

2017-1-25
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

So far no issues with landing gear whether auto landed or hand caught.
2017-1-25
Use props
fans82a02d84
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8049101 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've had the landing mode issue several times, last night I hand caught it several times trying to figure out why etc.  For me the end solution has been open the Go4 App and turn off the "auto landing gear"  switch and it seems to work.  using my standard manual method.  
2017-1-26
Use props
fans3bd7cd53
lvl.1
United States

has anyone had a fix or heard anything? DJI wants me to send my unit in with this issue.
2017-2-5
Use props
fans7c0ea622
New

United States

Good to know. I have had that exact issue with the landing gear. I will try out your solution. Thanks.
2017-2-5
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

A new landing gear issue - tried all of the above without success...  I now have my landing gear in the raised position sitting on my table!  How do I get it to transport mode??  Tried most of the things I thought would work already....
2017-2-11
Use props
fans593fc987
lvl.4
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-2-11 01:23
A new landing gear issue - tried all of the above without success...  I now have my landing gear in the raised position sitting on my table!  How do I get it to transport mode??  Tried most of the things I thought would work already....

I remember this happening to me once on my Inspire 1.  I can't remember what caused it but I believe you can try this:

1. Remove all props
2. Remove camera
3. Power up Inspire
4. While holding from the top of the Inspire and orienting it in its flying position just above a table top, hit your power button 5 times

This worked for me when I was in a similar situation awhile back.
2017-2-11
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

fans593fc987 Posted at 2017-2-11 03:56
I remember this happening to me once on my Inspire 1.  I can't remember what caused it but I believe you can try this:

1. Remove all props

Thanks... tried that numerous times already... No Go!
2017-2-11
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-2-11 01:23

you obviously never had the Inspire 1.

Look in you Inspire 2 box. there will be a bent metal screwdriver, this is used to turn the central worm drive to raise and lower the Inspire Legs (by hand)

P.s. small hole in the middle of the underbelly, poke the screwdriver in there! & start to turn.
2017-2-11
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

Coigreach Posted at 2017-2-11 05:42

Look in you Inspire 2 box. there will be a bent metal screwdriver, this is used to turn the central worm drive to raise and lower the Inspire Legs (by hand)

Nope!  The screw driver that came with is 2X too large to fit... three hours ago I tried a smaller one...  and I work with tools and my hands my whole life - that screw is tight BOTH ways...    This is CRAP  for the money!  So I took yet another screw driver and with MUCH force I managed to get the gear lowerd (and some damage to the screw head on the worm...) - now the I2 does not want to raise with the normal 5X push on the power button...  CRAP!  (see the DJI / my screw driver in the pic)

CRAP!!

CRAP!!
2017-2-11
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-2-11 07:13
Nope!  The screw driver that came with is 2X too large to fit... three hours ago I tried a smaller one...  and I work with tools and my hands my whole life - that screw is tight BOTH ways...    This is CRAP  for the money!  So I took yet another screw driver and with MUCH force I managed to get the gear lowerd (and some damage to the screw head on the worm...) - now the I2 does not want to raise with the normal 5X push on the power button...  CRAP!  (see the DJI / my screw driver in the pic)

That's not good news! I used the key(screwdriver) on the I1 once when it jammed it was very tight initially but when it started to move everything was ok from then on.  I saw the new screwdriver when I opened up the I2 box but did not check  to see if it would fit. This is a bit  of an oversight on DJI.
2017-2-11
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.3
United States

Coigreach Posted at 2017-2-11 05:42

That screw drivers was designed to be used to tighten the screw on the Controller, it was not intended to be used for the worm gear.

2017-2-15
Use props
joejoe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 194003 ft
Germany

it´s a blame that a customer has to figure that out and DJI pretends to know nothing.
Thanks MadFrenchie!
2017-2-15
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

Nice work Frenchie!!  Now, can you figure out how to get rid of that annoying pop up?  
2017-2-22
Use props
Conrad Jay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 484806 ft
Canada

Thanks for the post. I had the problem of it getting stuck in landing position not wanting to raise... super pain while on a real shoot... hopefully a fix in the next FIRMWARE UPDATE
2017-2-23
Use props
Conrad Jay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 484806 ft
Canada

Thanks for the post. I had the problem of it getting stuck in landing position not wanting to raise... super pain while on a real shoot... hopefully a fix in the next FIRMWARE UPDATE
2017-2-23
Use props
fansd84c47ae
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16762 ft
Norway

Conrad Jay Posted at 2017-2-23 12:41

In worst case while waiting for update: Grab it in the air from underneath.
2017-2-26
Use props
fansd84c47ae
lvl.1
Norway

2017-2-26
Use props
fansd84c47ae
lvl.1
Norway

2017-2-26
Use props
fpvmac
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6870 ft
United States

MadFrenchie, thanks for the workaround. This worked for me the first time my landing gear got stuck. Unfortunately...the last two times this method did NOT work and I had to ask a random bystander to help me out by helping me catch it by hand. I am always able to raise/lower the landing gear back to normal after I land. But still, this is sooo annoying. Every time I fly, I am paranoid I won't be able to retract the landing gear. I typically fly solo, so I don't always have someone who can assist me when the landing gear comes down.
2017-3-7
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.3
United States

fpvmac Posted at 2017-3-7 12:22
MadFrenchie, thanks for the workaround. This worked for me the first time my landing gear got stuck. Unfortunately...the last two times this method did NOT work and I had to ask a random bystander to help me out by helping me catch it by hand. I am always able to raise/lower the landing gear back to normal after I land. But still, this is sooo annoying. Every time I fly, I am paranoid I won't be able to retract the landing gear. I typically fly solo, so I don't always have someone who can assist me when the landing gear comes down.

I've seen a few instances where nothing you do will bring the gear down.  I was hoping the new firmware would resolve the issue but apparently there are a few reports of people still experiencing a landing gear issue even after upgrading!

The best thing to do right now is to keep the landing gear in Manual operation, this will reduce the chances of experiencing this issue.
2017-3-8
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

After a lot of hard words etc. my I2 had to be swapped for a new one.  The gear issue could not be rectified by a local DJI appointed agent....  So now I have a new I2 again.  My concern however is that the new one can / may have the same issue.  I cannot get it out of anyone to tell me the reason for the issue....
2017-3-9
Use props
fansbd858f4d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2856450 ft
  • >>>
Egypt

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-2-11 07:13

Did you find a solution, i just had your exact same problem
2017-10-7
Use props
fansf6cbbf57
New
Flight distance : 50230 ft
United States

I had the exact situation happen to me regarding the return home button. This solution you worte here didn't work. Any other ideas?
2017-11-30
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great info, thanks for the post.
2017-12-2
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I should fab up a screwdriver for this job and carry in the box.

Anyone know the blade width and tip size to fit the worm screw?

Answered my own question.

A 5/32" slotted blade will not pass down through the second circular cutout under the belly to get to the worm's screwhead.  Something less than that diameter will.  The tip seems to be about 0.020" wide to fit snuggly and not cam-out (i.e. strip) the head if it's tight and the blade tip is too thin.

2017-12-2
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

My brand new I2's landing gear is also stock.
Took it out of the box, raised it, configured the Cendence and testet the gear function.
24h later when doing its maiden flight the gear does not come up anymore. You can hear the servo clicking but its stock and a error message gets displayed.
My dealer sends the bird goes back to dji now. Since I did a single flight its not counted as DOA anymore.. So it has to go trough the service department.
I already waited a long time for the bird to arrive. Ordered in December and even now some parts did not arrive yet... Hopefully the repair goes fast, as I have waited up to 3 month in the past..
2018-2-7
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Update:
My dealer got the landing gear mechanism working again.
After slowly heating the area around the bearing, he was able to turn the spindle and unlock it with a "click" noise. Seems like factory did a messy job when building the spindle part. Could have been some glue or loctite that made its way on the spindle/bearing aerea.
Its fully functional now and after a very small drop of silicon fluid its running great and quiet.

Once again it has been proven, that local quality dealers should be the way to handle support for pro parts and users.
If I had to ship it to European dji support center I'd probably had to wait a few weeks to get it back. In that past I waited on repairs up to three month.
So shout out to Aerodron in Switzerland who did a fantastic job!
2018-2-7
Use props
FlyingSquirrel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17141325 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

Got the landing gear stuck last night while on a shoot. The client was not around so I lucked out. I will try upgrading the FW but it will probably have to go to the drone doctor!
2018-7-31
Use props
Steve H i2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322579 ft

FlyingSquirrel Posted at 2018-7-31 05:58
Got the landing gear stuck last night while on a shoot. The client was not around so I lucked out. I will try upgrading the FW but it will probably have to go to the drone doctor!

Using the Cendence controller with my i2 I have to bring it down to land very slow as the landing gear only comes down when it is under 1 meter max from the ground. I cannot find any other way to raze or lower the landing gear. When I use the standard remote I can raze and lower the gear with no problems. Which does not help when you are trying to build up confidence using the cendence controller. The landing issue needs resolving so that you can manually bring the landing gear down.
2019-9-22
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>

Steve H i2 Posted at 9-22 06:18
Using the Cendence controller with my i2 I have to bring it down to land very slow as the landing gear only comes down when it is under 1 meter max from the ground. I cannot find any other way to raze or lower the landing gear. When I use the standard remote I can raze and lower the gear with no problems. Which does not help when you are trying to build up confidence using the cendence controller. The landing issue needs resolving so that you can manually bring the landing gear down.

You can assign the landing gear to Bc button front right of your controller. You just need to take you time and set up the Cendence remote to your liking or custom settings.

Rich
2019-9-22
Use props
Reuben Pillay
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91480450 ft
  • >>>
Mauritius

Hi everyone - same problem here - drone's been sleeping for several month - I just got it out today - 5 presses did put the landing gear in the down position... I needed to put the drone on display - didn't fly or anything... now when done, i do the 5 press again - i hear a click and then it beeps 4 times... but nothing happens... tried that several times - even held it up in the air...

Also tried the remote flip switch - nothing worked.

So any solution for this?

At present i don't have any screw driver that fits in the hole... will have to buy one tomorrow - it's midnight here. So I take it even when I do it manually, there is no guarantee that the flip switch is going to start working again? Thoughts?
2021-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules