return home
943 10 2017-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd75100b1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48186 ft
United States

I decided to test the return home feasture today and did it twice with the drone fairly close by and it worked perfect. I did a 3rd test with it a bit further away and it was plenty high enough but the controller kept beeping and flashing obstacle but there could be nothing in the way. As I continued to look at the controller trying to figure out what was going on I looked up and my drone was gone. I could find it no where so I panicked thinking it was about to hit something and sent it up and could not spot it anywhere. I went on up to 400 feet and turned off return to home and initiated again and every time it would do the obstacle error. This went on forever with me toggling return home on and off and the battery was getting low so I was freaking out. I lowered the altitude and still couldnt spot it and then I toggled return home one more time and it came home and landed just in time. Aparrently it had went way off so I could not see it. I dont understand why it went off like that and why it was having obstacle errors at 50 feet much less 400 feet. I had a good gps home lock before it took off. I was getting some wind alerts but it didnt seem that bad.
2017-1-20
Use props
jims3000
lvl.3
United States

Was the sun shinning in the direction the drone was to return to home in.I fly my drone with the forward sensors off so I wouldn't have this problem.I just make sure I am above the trees and buildings when I hit return to home
2017-1-20
Use props
Jacky-Jonhy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19239 ft
France

Hi, during your last flight, do you return home as front of sun ?
2017-1-20
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansd75100b1,
If you fly into the sun, you will get such errors.  If the quad-copter is new, did you remove the plastic protective covers off of the front sensors?  Were the front sensors free from debris &/or clean?  All of these can affect the obstacle avoidance sensors/system.  If you are flying home, ^^jims3000 has a good point, to turn off the forward sensors so this does not happen.

Keep in mind that BEFORE you take off, to set your return home altitude to go ABOVE the highest point that you are flying in.  DJI has very awesome and informative video tutorials that you can watch on YouTube or directly on there website.

Happy flying
2017-1-20
Use props
fansd75100b1
lvl.1
United States

Yes, it was flying into the sun so I bet you guys are correct. Ill turn off forward sensors next time. That was a bit alarming.
2017-1-20
Use props
Jit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 536768 ft
Singapore

Most importantly, don't panic. If you need time to think and figure out your next step, hitting the flight pause button should help.
2017-1-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fansd75100b1 Posted at 2017-1-20 21:37
Yes, it was flying into the sun so I bet you guys are correct. Ill turn off forward sensors next time. That was a bit alarming.

It's looks like it was indeed flying into the sun, but you should have been able to locate you AC on maps, if you loose sight of your drone just click on maps your homepoint will be clearly marked and you can just turn the little arrow which is your AC ,around to point at the home point and just bring it home.
2017-1-21
Use props
SpeedVision
lvl.2
Flight distance : 516168 ft
United States

Or, switch to home lock, get to a safe elevation,  and pull back on your pitch (typically right) stick to force Mavic back to home position regardless of the direction it is facing.
2017-1-21
Use props
SpeedVision
lvl.2
Flight distance : 516168 ft
United States

SpeedVision Posted at 2017-1-21 04:42
Or, switch to home lock, get to a safe elevation,  and pull back on your pitch (typically right) stick to force Mavic back to home position regardless of the direction it is facing.

This will allow you to yaw (rotate) away from the sun in safely land once you are above your home point.  
2017-1-21
Use props
Fireboy2001
New

Canada

U don't have to play with settings or turn anything off. Flip it into sport mode and hit RTH again. Sport mode deactivates front sensors. Any time the sun becomes an issue or u think the sun is causing the issue sport mode will be the quick fix to get her home.
2017-1-21
Use props
fansd75100b1
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for all the replies. I havent been receiving email notifications so Im just now seeing some of these. Very helpful advice.
2017-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules