Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Artifacts in X5R images
1205 12 2017-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 155059 ft
Italy

Hi All,

I've just came back from my first flight with my I2 where I made some stills. In some of the pictures, although not all are affected, there is a strange artifact.
Is there something wrong with the sensor?

Any idea?Thanks

DJI_0007.jpg

2017-1-21
Use props
Ale
lvl.4
Italy

Sorry it's X5S...
2017-1-21
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Looks like a hair or smudge  on the inner camera optic , I would take the lens  off the camera and clean the camera lens  then re -install the lens.  Or it may be on the lens itself .  Need to be cleaned if you ask me .  It doees not show up in all pics ?  Does it stay in the same spot in some of the othere pics ?

Maybe some of the optics gurus can also chime in .  I am admittedly no expert on optics. Get some more opinions please .

donnie
2017-1-21
Use props
Ale
lvl.4
Italy

I had the same idea, but externally the lens was clean. Also some other shots was ok, so I thought the sensor was implied
2017-1-21
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

Ale Posted at 2017-1-21 07:38
I had the same idea, but externally the lens was clean. Also some other shots was ok, so I thought the sensor was implied

I was thinking it may be between the lens and the camera ,you would need to remove the lens though.  Only do this if you know how.  It is fairly simple On my Zenmuse  X5.  I don't own your camera so don't want to give you bad advice .

donnie
2017-1-21
Use props
Ale
lvl.4
Italy

K Donnie, I'll check it
2017-1-21
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Do you have a different lens, if so mount that and if it is still the same spot it would be sensor.
2017-1-21
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-1-21 07:56
Do you have a different lens, if so mount that and if it is still the same spot it would be sensor.

Another Lens ....Very good thinking , I learned something .

Thanks for sharing,

donnie
2017-1-21
Use props
Ale
lvl.4
Italy

Unfortunately I don't have other lens...
2017-1-21
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

Ale Posted at 2017-1-21 08:10
Unfortunately I don't have other lens...

Be sure to clean  the lens with the proper products, you should invest in a little camera lens cleaning kit , it will be a must have in this type of hobby.  Hopefully you already have one.

donnie
2017-1-21
Use props
nick1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5989180 ft
United Kingdom

It's a what photographers commonly call a dust bunny . It's most likely to be a tiny hair on the sensor and it'll be in most, if not al, of  your shots.

To get rid of it, uncounted the gimbal from the I2, turn the camera so the lens points downwards, remove the lens and then gentle tape the camera body.  If you're lucky, it drop out and you're sorted.
If you're unlucky, it'll stay put and you'll need to clean the sensor. I'd advise investing in something like the arctic butterfly which is a small battery powered static brush which is designed specifically for dry cleaning dust from camera sensors. The brush is fine, clean and soft and doesn't have any loose brush hairs or oil in it which will contaminate the sensor. I've used them on my Big DSLRs for years and they've been worth every penny.

If you don't want to spend the money on that, then find your nearest camera store and get a dust blower bulb. Main problem with the blower bulbs is that they can blow as much crud onto the sensor as they remove!
2017-1-21
Use props
nick1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5989180 ft
United Kingdom

Reposted to correct the typos in my original.... (can't edit after more than two minutes!?)

It's a what photographers commonly call a dust bunny . It's most likely to be a tiny hair on the sensor and it'll be in most, if not all, of  your shots. The ones you can't see it in, it'll probably be there, but in an area with doesn't show it up. Sky shows dust bunnies like nobodies business ;) if you stop down the aperture on the camera to f/8 or smaller and take a photo, you'll probably find the bunny becomes sharper/better defined.

To get rid of it, uncouple the gimbal from the I2, turn the camera so the lens points downwards, remove the lens and then gentle tap the camera body.  If you're lucky, the dust will drop out and you're sorted.
If you're unlucky, it'll stay put and you'll need to clean the sensor. I'd advise investing in something like the arctic butterfly which is a small battery powered static brush which is designed specifically for dry cleaning dust from camera sensors. The brush is fine, clean and soft and doesn't have any loose brush hairs or oil in it which will contaminate the sensor. I've used them on my Big DSLRs for years and they've been worth every penny.

Reason for pointing the lens & camera down is to help stop anymore floating dust landing on the sensor.

If you don't want to spend the money on that, then find your nearest camera store and get a dust blower bulb. Main problem with the blower bulbs is that they can blow as much crud onto the sensor as they remove! If you buy one, give it several hard squeezes *before* pointing it at the sensor to eject and debris from the blower build first. Equally, don't blow into the sensor yourself as you'll most likely blow some saliva onto the sensor, and that will end up needing a wet clean to tremove the liquid stain/spot.

Hope that helps!
2017-1-21
Use props
Ale
lvl.4
Italy

Thanks Nick, hope I'll catch the bunny with a bit of luck
2017-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now