Camera problem? Oil painting effect
2792 11 2017-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Magnil
lvl.2
Flight distance : 122838 ft
Sweden

My pics from the Mavic has some kind of oil painting effect. Is this normal? I do not think so.

Look at the tall grass down left in pics. Pics taken different days with different color profiles. One with settings -1-1-1 and the other with +1+1+1. Jpegs from SD-card, resized to fit forum.

DJI_0084.jpg
170101-1342-FC220-0055 (3).jpg

2017-1-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Different color profiles might have different performance.
Is there any issue with the pictures taken in default settings?
2017-1-22
Use props
Magnil
lvl.2
Sweden

Yes, I have the same oil painting effect with everyting in default setting. I do not see it in other peoples pics.
2017-1-22
Use props
VAS67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265984 ft
United Kingdom

I'm getting exactly same problem.
Currently talking to DJI support Netherlands via email but their response times are frustratingly slow
2017-1-22
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I'm not sure what you mean by oil painting effect, the first is too saturated etc, the second looks better.

They are quite small so maybe your full size version looks different. If anything they look a bit blurry which is maybe what you mean. That could be down to movement. I only got my Mavic yesterday so I've not played with the photos and not sure what process the Mavic uses to take a photo, however from a photography point if you want to reduce blur (movement) then you much decrease the exposure time. In a camera you would do that by adjusting the shutter speed, ftop or ISO.  My guess with this drone increasing ISO will be the option but have a look in the manual.

When I use the Mavic later I'll update this if you like.
2017-1-22
Use props
Magnil
lvl.2
Sweden

JaseUK Posted at 2017-1-22 02:45
I'm not sure what you mean by oil painting effect, the first is too saturated etc, the second looks better.

They are quite small so maybe your full size version looks different. If anything they look a bit blurry which is maybe what you mean. That could be down to movement. I only got my Mavic yesterday so I've not played with the photos and not sure what process the Mavic uses to take a photo, however from a photography point if you want to reduce blur (movement) then you much decrease the exposure time. In a camera you would do that by adjusting the shutter speed, ftop or ISO.  My guess with this drone increasing ISO will be the option but have a look in the manual.

Here is a crop. Look at the grass. Read on another forum that it could be bad sensor and a couple of people had sent their back for exchange. They had not got it back yet so they could say if it was better.

DJI_0062 (1).jpg
2017-1-22
Use props
Leo Pan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1050000 ft

Taiwan

I have the same issue with My Brand new mavic!It happens some times, some times it is very crisp and sharp, some times it looks like oil painting,I had tried to reset all the settings and calibrate everything I could, it still happens!
2017-1-28
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Did anyone find an answer to this, I've just got back from a shoot and have the issue as above, I've not seen it before today so not sure what is the cause?
2017-2-5
Use props
fans8606e081
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48868 ft
Switzerland

Same problem as in this thread http://forum.dji.com/thread-81987-1-2.html
Look at this video the change from s15 to s16.
Only difference was that in the second recording the sharpness was set to +3
So it looks like there must be a threshold in imagedetail/contrast where to encoder doesn't look for details anymore.
Looks like it should be fixable in the software. The bitrate shouldn't be the problem since int can handle complex scenes with a lot
of details when sharpness is up (with the tradeoff of an ugly oversharpened picture).
With negative sharpness i had trees where you could only see the the trunk and all the branches where just a blurry mush.
2017-2-6
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Shoot (raw)DNG and convert to JPG. JPG does that to your pictures.
2017-2-6
Use props
fans8606e081
lvl.3
Switzerland

Sorry but you don't know what you are talking about. We are talking about video here and the mavic cant record video in raw. Also it's about noise reduction not the video compression.

UPDATE: After some testing it looks like negative values don't get rid of edge sharpening like one would expect but in fact it's noise reduction kicking in.

My conclusion:
sharpness at -1 - you'd get slight noise reduction but still acceptable for people who can't or wont denoise in post. sharpness at -2&-3 - will give you severe oil painting effect
sharpness at 0 - is ok for most cases but there will be some noise. (i'll use this and denoise in post)
sharpness at +1 - has more noise but also more details in the shadows. (i'll use this with denoise inpost when details in the shadows matter)
sharpness at +2&3 - has way to much edge sharpening imho.

It would be interesting if this is consistent in all mavic's or if there are differences.
2017-2-6
Use props
fans8606e081
lvl.3
Switzerland

Just found out that sharpness at 0 is only good as long as you have enough light. +1 will prevent the painting effect under all lighting conditions but may need a bit noisereduction in post.
2017-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules