WHY THIS HAPPENS IN SPORT MODE THIS GIMBAL WARNING
5828 19 2017-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
watuse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
Spain

I get this warning all the time no matter how the gimbal camera is pointing downward or straight forward.
IMG_0193.PNG
2017-1-21
Use props
BradC234
lvl.2
Flight distance : 219770 ft
Canada

Quite simple, the gimble is trying to extend past its limit when in sport mode. This is a common error you'll get simple from the tilt of the mavic while it's flying, nothing you can really do!
2017-1-21
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

BradC234 Posted at 2017-1-21 20:48
Quite simple, the gimble is trying to extend past its limit when in sport mode. This is a common error you'll get simple from the tilt of the mavic while it's flying, nothing you can really do!

but will this cause some damage to the gimbal or will DJI have a fix for this so the craft will not tilt so much or maybe have the gimbal not reach to its max point and not go into this warning error...
2017-1-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

watuse Posted at 2017-1-21 20:55
but will this cause some damage to the gimbal or will DJI have a fix for this so the craft will not tilt so much or maybe have the gimbal not reach to its max point and not go into this warning error...

It's normal if you flying aggressively like full throttle in sport mode.
Please try to push the stick gently.
2017-1-22
Use props
dronesnz64
lvl.2
Flight distance : 101332 ft
New Zealand

watuse Posted at 2017-1-21 20:55

Change the gimbal mode to FPV mode, not follow. This means the gimbal stays relative to the drone and won't cause theoretical damage.
2017-1-22
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-22 02:19

Ok thanks for the tip
2017-1-22
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

dronesnz64 Posted at 2017-1-22 03:26
Change the gimbal mode to FPV mode, not follow. This means the gimbal stays relative to the drone and won't cause theoretical damage.

Thank you for the tip now I know.
2017-1-22
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

dronesnz64 Posted at 2017-1-22 03:26

do you think flying in sport and not changing the gimbal to FPV could damage the gimbal
2017-1-22
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

Mindy as you know I sent my mavic to the Holland repair center because i had a manufacture problem of the front folding arm cable  was kinking and bending to the point I had an ESC error I sent it in and when I received it I did not check for the serial number, till today and notice the one I have from the original box does not match to the one on the aircraft when you guys do RMA do you change the serial numbers of the aircraft.
2017-1-22
Use props
dronesnz64
lvl.2
Flight distance : 101332 ft
New Zealand

watuse Posted at 2017-1-22 03:53
do you think flying in sport and not changing the gimbal to FPV could damage the gimbal

From what I read the main thing is that in Follow mode the gimbal strains the motors trying to tilt further than it actually can. In FPV mode the gimbal stabilises but doesn't adjust with the relative angle of the drone. Might need a confirmation but I'm pretty sure how it works
2017-1-22
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

dronesnz64 Posted at 2017-1-22 22:39
From what I read the main thing is that in Follow mode the gimbal strains the motors trying to tilt further than it actually can. In FPV mode the gimbal stabilises but doesn't adjust with the relative angle of the drone. Might need a confirmation but I'm pretty sure how it works

yea me tooo
2017-1-23
Use props
fansd3ae2338
lvl.1

United States

FPV mode just locks the roll axis of the gimbal to the roll attitude of the aircraft. I doesn't nothing on the pitch axis which still keeps the horizon level. Now for whether operating for extended periods at max pitch on the gimbal will cause damage I don't know but setting the gimbal to FPV won't fix this issue or prevent damage if indeed this issue can cause damage.
2017-1-23
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

fansd3ae2338 Posted at 2017-1-23 15:24
FPV mode just locks the roll axis of the gimbal to the roll attitude of the aircraft. I doesn't nothing on the pitch axis which still keeps the horizon level. Now for whether operating for extended periods at max pitch on the gimbal will cause damage I don't know but setting the gimbal to FPV won't fix this issue or prevent damage if indeed this issue can cause damage.

I just done both testing in FPV and in follow your correct it still shows this warning, and when I put the dome i was getting some other warning i think because of the opening where the gimbal arm is located on the dome that slit of opening causes some other error something gimbal vibrating something, Also the location where your on the app video streaming screen the top left where it says READY TO FLY and it shows you other messages, lately in sport mode I get another message motor overload turns yellow then goes away this is also in sport mode, I wish I could get a iOS screen video capture like many people have there was one which I think was free but I forgot the name of it because I want to post these screen messages so some one in the support could give me the solution to these warning messages and error messages.
2017-1-24
Use props
SR-71Habu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191125 ft
United States

Hey, I'm not trying to be rude here, but, Seriously Mindy?

Are you implying that this message is something to worry about? And that if the message appears then we are not doing something correct and should adjust our flying so that the message never appears?  And that we should do that by pushing the sticks gently?

Here's my take as a career IT engineer/administrator in the software dev biz and as a guy that has been into RC for decades:

Complex systems that generate logs use a concept called "logging levels".  Events that are logged are categorized based on the criticality of the errors. They need to move this particular message into a category that is not exposed to end users via the Go app. Or using whatever means they use to decide what events end up showing up in real time to the end user.

Not only will this error message appear in the scenario outlined here, but it also pops up when you tilt the camera upwards to the end of travel. It doesn't happen when you tilt the camera downwards to the end of travel in that direction if I recall correctly. So does that also mean that a user has to somehow judge the gimbal accel/decel algorithms accurately enough to let of the spring loaded wheel on the controller in time to keep the gimbal from hitting the stop? I hope not....because that would be a nearly impossible skill to master, particularly considering how adjustable the gimbal behavior is when panning up/down. I've been annoyed too many times already with tweaking the gimbal to get a good looking up/down pan.

The way 3 axis brushless gimbals work internally would rule out damage from hitting a mechanical travel limit anyway. How many people who own Mavics have accidentally turned it on before removing the gimbal clamp? You'd think the gimbal doing its initiation dance while locked down by the gimbal clamp would destroy it, right? Well, it doesn't. I just read about someone getting an error in the Go app telling them to take off the clamp because they powered up left the clamp on. This would be an example of a useful bit of info to pass on to a Mavic pilot...because it will affect the performance of the device and it is something that a user can take action on.

But a ridiculous informational message about "gimbal travel limit" that is invoked during normal use of the product serves no purpose for the end user. Do these gimbals have electronically definable travel limits that should be programmed to activate before mechanical travel limitations? If so, then maybe the team responsible for the gimbal hasn't heeded the log message WE are seeing and needs to tweak the travel limits so that a mechanical stop does not happen.

I actually doubt that, but had to toss it out there. So can we get rid of this useless message please? You guys see how it is worrying people....Or if you won't do that, can we get more detail about the possible damage being inflicted on the gimbal when that message appears? And if there isn't any damage done, then WHY the HECK do I need more distracting pop ups on the screen while I'm trying to fly and film?

Thanks much!
2017-2-18
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

SR-71Habu Posted at 2017-2-18 07:10

Are you implying that this message is something to worry about? And that if the message appears then we are not doing something correct and should adjust our flying so that the message never appears?  And that we should do that by pushing the sticks gently?

I suspect that the intent is to be informational in nature to let you know that FPV video might not turn out well, which in turn gives you a chance to adjust your flying so that it does.
2017-2-18
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210226 ft
United States

SR-71Habu Posted at 2017-2-18 07:10

No, I think the message is useful. It lets you know that in some cases the gimbal has reached its limits, and hence may not be pointing where you think it is. You can choose to adjust your flying (or not) if this matters to you.
2017-2-18
Use props
SR-71Habu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191125 ft
United States

gpvillamil Posted at 2017-2-18 08:46
No, I think the message is useful. It lets you know that in some cases the gimbal has reached its limits, and hence may not be pointing where you think it is. You can choose to adjust your flying (or not) if this matters to you.

I can tell when the gimbal has reached its limit when the camera won't frame what I want.

I'm wondering why you aren't asking for gimbal limit warnings when it reaches its yaw limits and roll limits? One would think this bu-errr-feature would apply to all axis right? But can you imagine? The screen would be filled with constant pop ups! Yaw alone would kill 'ya. You'd spend wayyyy too much time fumbling with your thumb to close the pop up. I would think most shooters would be annoyed at added random clutter on the very screen you are trying to compose and maintain your shot on. I find it terribly annoying. If people think it's somehow a feature (do you know of any drones that report back with distracting on screen info while camera hot? For something that will happen normally many times in a flight?)

Nope, after giving your idea a good thinking for a few minutes, I just can't agree. For so many reasons, but here's some strong ones:

1. If your rationale for the feature/bug is that you use it to know when the gimbal is at its limit then wouldn't make sense to warn a few degrees before reaching the limit?
2. Or do you envision this as a learning tool? I guess so, but noticing and monitoring composition and framing should be something one can monitor constantly even while doing all the other tasks of filming and flying. I think the feedback loop is close enough to the same thing if you do pay constant attention to your horizon line, etc. You get a feel for this faster without relying on screen cluttering noise. And that feedback loop will really be energized if you don't notice what's happening until you're editing.

I would have no problem with it being an optional learning tool but just let people hide it. And I'm gonna actually think of the thing as a feature now and see if I can figure out a way to make it useful for me, as know damn well it probably won't go anywhere. Please though, DJI, no warnings for the yaw and roll axis!
2017-2-19
Use props
djiuser_ET9DPtvde3DC
New

United States

I'm having the same problem but it's not going past +15°. Really confused.
2021-7-11
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

The gimbal is trying to stay parallel to the ground, but in sport mode, that means a lot of pitch. Try going a bit slower
2021-7-12
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

gpvillamil Posted at 2017-2-18 08:46

Same here. Its a useful tip
2021-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules