DJI Im not puting them down its just my point of view
1537 15 2017-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Horus
lvl.2

Canada

Im not puting them down its just my point of vue
i updated my quad and im not even going to  try to fly the thing to risk having it crash or take off on me. im new  to quad i dont have anyone around me here that has experience so that if  i can go test the thing and loose control pass the controller on to  them to bring it back.
DJI made these quad easy to fly but with the latest firmware all i read  is bad things going on. us owners of the phantom3 standard deserve an  explanation on whats going on with this app
and its up to DJI to come up with an answer as soon as possible with a clear answer as to why this is going on.
I always fallow Nigel threads this guy has experience and great video  for all to watch but this guy says he has a problem with firmware and  cant fly his quad well that just turn it all around for me
ill leave my quad on my dresser i still like playing with it in  simulator mode. But until DJI come up with a clear why and a fix it will  stay there till then.
im disappointed at DJI i thought highly of there products .
im sure folks are going to to say fly the thing you will not know till you try. and i will if something does happen what do i say told you so

2017-1-22
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Hi Horus ...

I am still flying my P3S ... it does not stop me.

I have FW 1.8.10 which appears stable enough but just clips range compared to what I had before.

I have rolled back my Go app to 2.9.1 so I can have less overload on video play and also Google Maps again.

Please do not leave your P3S on the shelf ...

Take it in steps ....

Outside in nice clear area .... lets say a nice sized lawn or park area.

Switch on and do all the calibrations ... get her settled down.

Switch off ... then go through startup sequence ... RC with both switches UP then AC then display. Choose Phantom WiFi and get all settled and green lights !

Tap DJI Go and get to camera screen. Make sure P-GPS is showing and green bar showing ready to go.

Set RTH height to sensible - I reckon 30m is good enough. I also set Lost Signal to RTH

Auto take off and let her settle into a hover ... then its play a little gentle game with sticks. Note that default setup is 40% expo on sticks which means centre and first part of movement is smooth and gentle.

Once comfortable start pushing her out and back ... increasing distance each time ... DO NOT initiate RTH unless you are significant distance out - at least 50m in my opinion ... because at close in - RTH does not RTH - it lands out !

One word of advice - I do not recc'd flying to auto battery low RTH - it may not make it because of wind etc. I always return home well before that point ... (its the yellow H on the battery line at top).

You'll soon have her winging around the fields !!

Nigel
2017-1-22
Use props
Horus
lvl.2

Canada

Nigel I understand im going to try it for sure i just dont want to loose or crash the thing because its not responding i went out side with it and it wouldn't calibrate took a few time to get it but i stopped there
im at the same school parking lot as before will go back and try again
2017-1-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You should calibrate the compass in the middle of an open area, like a park, or sports field, away from any ferrous metal (magnetic) or electrical disturbance.
Not standing on concrete or ash fault where iron reinforcing bars are located.  Leave your keys, pocket change and large belt buckles off too.
If you calibrate while holding it high above your head, it might be ok. ;-)

Just starting out? Take it low and slow. Keep it facing away from you and get used to the RC sticks, see how it reacts to different control input. The onboard flight SIM is a good place to practice flying safely too.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-22
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Horus Posted at 2017-1-22 11:45
Nigel I understand im going to try it for sure i just dont want to loose or crash the thing because its not responding i went out side with it and it wouldn't calibrate took a few time to get it but i stopped there
im at the same school parking lot as before will go back and try again

One of the silly things that you need to know ...

When calibrating compass .... you need to actually revolve over 370 degrees ... not 360.

If you watch the DJI video of the guy doing it - you will see he turns MORE than one revolution on each attitude.

RHP is correct - ashphalt parking lot can be magnetic anomaly ... by virtue of the metalled underlay.

A sports park also if it has underlying water system / cables etc.

Try a farm field !!Seriously.... and remember ... make your turns to calibrate compass more than just one revolution of 360.

Nigel
2017-1-22
Use props
Rob Weeks 9
lvl.2

United States

Id recommending buying a cheaper crash resistant drone to learn how to fly with. I started out just a month ago with a U818a and found out flying a drone is not near as easy as it looks. After many crashes and really getting a feel of drone flying without a gps the phantom 3 seems like a breeze. I also had received one of the smaller best buy drones for Christmas that allowed me to practice inside and really advance quickly while weather did not permit outside. I'm almost certain that if I had started off with the phantom3 I would either have a big pile of phantom parts or been to intimidated by it to really enjoy it.
2017-1-22
Use props
Making Memories
lvl.2
Flight distance : 206030 ft
United States

I am on my second Phantom 3 STD. First one was lost on a steel bridge over the water.  My fault.. Also heavy power line over the bridge.  ( Don't do this)

My second Phantom has preformed well, no big issues.  A whistling sound from the motors that was not present in my first drone.

I have upgraded all the firm wear when suggested. I have had no issues as of yet.  

I am hoping that my luck continues, I love the drone, has been easy to fly, just not in the bridge described earlier.  ( damn)
2017-1-22
Use props
Rob Weeks 9
lvl.2

United States

Making Memories Posted at 2017-1-22 14:55
I am on my second Phantom 3 STD. First one was lost on a steel bridge over the water.  My fault.. Also heavy power line over the bridge.  ( Don't do this)

My second Phantom has preformed well, no big issues.  A whistling sound from the motors that was not present in my first drone.

LOL... Your honesty about the crash is great! It doesn't seem to be a trait in all. The toy drone I started with had almost 5 star reviews until the day after Christmas. All of a sudden all the new and kid drone pilots who launched a non gps drone up into the sky to never be seen again blamed the drone and the company. I believe the technology becoming cheap enough for parents to put it into a kids hands wasn't a good thing for the company who was selling them. Everybodys just "flew away" or "mysteriously crashed do to a problem with the drone". I got mine stuck about 50 foot high in the top of a tree one day.  It was stuck up there because I flew the dang thing smack dab into the top of tree. Nobodys fault but my own!  I could had called the company and claimed it just flew away to get a new one like everyone else did. It was my fault tho and not theirs. Instead of calling the company I learned how to get drone out of a tree!
2017-1-22
Use props
Making Memories
lvl.2
Flight distance : 206030 ft
United States

Rob Weeks 9 Posted at 2017-1-22 15:52
LOL... Your honesty about the crash is great! It doesn't seem to be a trait in all. The toy drone I started with had almost 5 star reviews until the day after Christmas. All of a sudden all the new and kid drone pilots who launched a non gps drone up into the sky to never be seen again blamed the drone and the company. I believe the technology becoming cheap enough for parents to put it into a kids hands wasn't a good thing for the company who was selling them. Everybodys just "flew away" or "mysteriously crashed do to a problem with the drone". I got mine stuck about 50 foot high in the top of a tree one day.  It was stuck up there because I flew the dang thing smack dab into the top of tree. Nobodys fault but my own!  I could had called the company and claimed it just flew away to get a new one like everyone else did. It was my fault tho and not theirs. Instead of calling the company I learned how to get drone out of a tree!

I got my first drone in Oct last year. Wish I would have milked the system to get a free one, but Alas, I purchased a new one and beat myself up for 2 weeks.

I'm a little more careful with this one, cant afford to get a third right now.

Happy flights, stay out of the trees
2017-1-22
Use props
fans8cf0d029
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124672 ft
United States

Rob Weeks 9 Posted at 2017-1-22 14:04
Id recommending buying a cheaper crash resistant drone to learn how to fly with. I started out just a month ago with a U818a and found out flying a drone is not near as easy as it looks. After many crashes and really getting a feel of drone flying without a gps the phantom 3 seems like a breeze. I also had received one of the smaller best buy drones for Christmas that allowed me to practice inside and really advance quickly while weather did not permit outside. I'm almost certain that if I had started off with the phantom3 I would either have a big pile of phantom parts or been to intimidated by it to really enjoy it.

I can't imagine flying a drone that was easier to fly than the Phantoms.  My first flight with my P4 was very simple.  I was jumpy nervous until I saw it auto takeoff and just sit there, waiting for me to tell it what to do.  It was so easy it required almost no practice to fly.  I have tried some of the toy drones and they are terrible and a waste of time to try to learn to fly with them.  The Phantom's stability is superb.  Just put it in beginner mode and go to a clear area (NO trees) and have at it.  You'll be confident in no time.
Good flying!
Jim
WA5TEF
2017-1-22
Use props
Rob Weeks 9
lvl.2

United States

fans8cf0d029 Posted at 2017-1-22 20:39
I can't imagine flying a drone that was easier to fly than the Phantoms.  My first flight with my P4 was very simple.  I was jumpy nervous until I saw it auto takeoff and just sit there, waiting for me to tell it what to do.  It was so easy it required almost no practice to fly.  I have tried some of the toy drones and they are terrible and a waste of time to try to learn to fly with them.  The Phantom's stability is superb.  Just put it in beginner mode and go to a clear area (NO trees) and have at it.  You'll be confident in no time.
Good flying!
Jim

It sounds to me like people who have only flown the phantom and never learned how to fly a drone in atti mode are the first ones to lose their phantom as soon as gps signal is dropped when they have no choice but to fly atti. In my experience so far, learning to fly the cheaper grade of drone without any type of gps on it has prepared me better to take on the phantom and fly it with ease. I'm sure you can learn on the phantom too but in my case was happy being able to crash until I really got the feel of flying a drone. My first flight didn't consist of any kind of auto take off, auto landing, or return to home feature. It was all by hand. Landing it myself was a breeze. If that stuff fails I'm not to concerned.
2017-1-22
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

fans8cf0d029 Posted at 2017-1-22 20:39
Good flying!
Jim

Totally  agree .... I have toy drones as well and they are much harder to fly.

Nigel
2017-1-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Horus,  please try the methods mentioned to calibrate it again, we all would like to help you if you're faced with problems on aircraft and hope you have great experiences on filght.
If you fail to do that, please post some screenshots about the error or notification on the app screen, which may help us locate the problem.
2017-1-22
Use props
Rob Weeks 9
lvl.2

United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-1-22 21:56
Totally  agree .... I have toy drones as well and they are much harder to fly.

Nigel

Oh I most definitely agree they are much harder to fly. I just feel like it was good flight experience before hopping into the phantom 3. Many people recommended to me that I start out this way and I do feel like it made a big difference. As I stated before, I didn't need any kind of auto takeoff, auto landing, or return to home on my first flight with the phantom. If I ever lose gps signal I'm confident. Atti mode doesn't scare me in the least now even tho I'm still new. Don't get me wrong, I love my phantom and do think it would be totally fine to start out on it.
2017-1-23
Use props
Horus
lvl.2

Canada

will do Natalia when the weather is better but i downgraded my app and firmware because i had nothing better to do but will do
2017-1-24
Use props
fansb63fc4cf
lvl.1

Australia

I'm on my second PS3S after "losing" the first in the pool. The second loses video at a height of 15m making it virtually useless. Also  DJI want me to ship it back to Hong Kong, but they don't even bother telling the address.
2017-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules