Does the RC charge the device (the phone in my case)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GuyS
lvl.1

Canada

I am going to try and see if bringing back my old Nexus 5 phone to use with the DJI Go app will help. Possibly the problems I am experiencing are due to the LG G5 I've been using has compatibility issues.

Trouble is the battery in the Nexus 5 phone doesn't last long. Does the RC's battery charge the phones battery when the PSP is flying? Is this a feature that can be set?

2017-1-22
Use props
GuyS
lvl.1

Canada

Opps my bad. The Nexus 5 only works wi fi as I switched my account from the Nexus to the new LG G5. One of those "blond" moments!
2017-1-22
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

It shouldn't matter if the Nexus was WiFi only or had cellular data, it should still connect to the RC as it wuld have to have a USB port for transferring files and so forth.
My Samsung Tab E has issues connecting to the RC, where I have to restart the Samsung while connected to the powered on RC.
Yes, the RC will provide power to a mobile device but generally with not enough current to overcome what the mobile device is using to run the app.   Particularly when you probably need full screen brightness to overcome ambient daylight.   Therefore you will need to have your phone be able to provide its own power to compensate.
2017-1-22
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

The RC will charge my phone to a higher level of charge when flying but with my 8 inch tablet the tablet looses charge. So yes the RC provides power but it is a limited amount and whether your device gains or loses charge will depend on the the amount it needs to run. Typically larger screens require more power than the RC delivers but it still causes the device to last longer.
2017-1-22
Use props
GuyS
lvl.1

Canada

DanMan32 Posted at 2017-1-22 14:13
It shouldn't matter if the Nexus was WiFi only or had cellular data, it should still connect to the RC as it wuld have to have a USB port for transferring files and so forth.
My Samsung Tab E has issues connecting to the RC, where I have to restart the Samsung while connected to the powered on RC.
Yes, the RC will provide power to a mobile device but generally with not enough current to overcome what the mobile device is using to run the app.   Particularly when you probably need full screen brightness to overcome ambient daylight.   Therefore you will need to have your phone be able to provide its own power to compensate.

The old nexus 5 phone does run the app when in my house (so connection to the internet is via WiFi). But what happens when I take the nexus 5 out of WiFi range? Does the phone need to access the internet to drive Google earth or the map system?
2017-1-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GuyS Posted at 2017-1-23 12:11
The old nexus 5 phone does run the app when in my house (so connection to the internet is via WiFi). But what happens when I take the nexus 5 out of WiFi range? Does the phone need to access the internet to drive Google earth or the map system?

Yes, the maps come from your Internet connection, either WiFi or cell. But nothing in the system uses Google Earth.
2017-1-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I'm thankful that I still have the same three maps to select from, that I've had all along.
Not sure what the Here map is, as I never got that in my app. Must be a Canadian thing. ;-)

While I have my iPad Air2 Cellular, plugged into my RC, when I power it up, the iPad is also turned on, but neither of them discharge or charge the other.

RedHotPoker

2017-1-23
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

The more I am reading, I am fairly certain DJI GO is using Google Maps (as opposed to Google Earth).  Not the app, but the data.   AMap is for China since they aren't able to obtain map data from other common sources the rest of us generally use.
2017-1-26
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

GuyS Posted at 2017-1-23 12:11

You could use hotspot on the LG for the Nexus if your LG and cell service supports it.  That's what I've sometimes been doing for my Samsung WiFi only tablet.
But map data is cached so if you use your DJI app while you have a WiFi connnection and navigate around in the map, you should cache what you need for flights in remote locations.
2017-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules