Can anyone verify that Phone GPS is actually used in the P4P
1258 8 2017-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dianea
lvl.1

United States

From everything I've read, I'm convinced the GPS is no longer used as a means of tracking with the new "Active Track". and "Follow me" as far as DJI is concerned are the same thing.
DJI says it now uses sensors/camera to track,... and the recipient of the track feature, need not have a GPS device. (however, they're may be other features that do require it)

Follow me, although distinctly different, is not actually discussed in the Manual specific to the P4P or P4P+. and the manual (notes) are shared with P4.
(DJI hasn't clarified that a GPS capable device is necessary for the P4P yet that I'm aware of)

While this feature is still active in the P4 and P3. A gps capable phone/tablet is required.

However.....Is "Follow me" still an "authorized" function (AS ORIGINALLY DEFINED) for the DJI GO App, when applied to the PRP or P4P+?

I'd be willing to be the P4P+ 5inch Display that is standard with the + model does not have a GPS.

Can any owners of the P4P/P4P+ verify my suspicions?
Thanks.

2017-1-22
Use props
PliciPleosc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100226 ft
Romania

Active track definitely never used GPS, it is an optical tracking, having nothing to do with a GPS follow me mode. However, P4P uses GPS from a device for setting a new home point.
2017-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"I'd be willing to be the P4P+ 5inch Display that is standard with the + model does not have a GPS."

You would lose that bet.
The + model has a GPS receiver in the tablet/controller.
2017-1-22
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

indeed it does captain, altho I never have used it, hehe
2017-1-22
Use props
dianea
lvl.1

United States

Well...Nice to find i was wrong on this one

Although it seems the ONLY feature that is now GPS dependent is the ability to reset the Home Point
The P2V that i have allows this only by hovering over the location you want to set as HP and flipping the left toggle switch between off and Home Lock repeatedly....Does the P4/P4Pro retain that feature, (or equivalent) ?
2017-1-27
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

The GO4 app allows you to create a new home point based on the location of the RC or the location of the Phantom.
2017-1-27
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

dianea Posted at 2017-1-27 09:38
Well...Nice to find i was wrong on this one

Although it seems the ONLY feature that is now GPS dependent is the ability to reset the Home Point

Yes. The P4P will automatically retain your home point when you take off, so it knows where to RTH if you need it to or it loses signal for what ever reason.
2017-1-27
Use props
dianea
lvl.1

United States

trance728- Posted at 2017-1-27 09:54
The GO4 app allows you to create a new home point based on the location of the RC or the location of the Phantom.

Right....But for that feature to work it requires the device (PHONE OR TABLET) to have a GPS....Correct ?
2017-1-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

dianea Posted at 2017-1-27 10:01
Right....But for that feature to work it requires the device (PHONE OR TABLET) to have a GPS....Correct ?

The Phantom has a good GPS receiver that it uses for all flight functions.
The only things you need a GPS enabled phone/tablet for are:
1.  Reset home point to the current location of the controller.
2.  follow-me flight
2017-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules