Modifying Inspire 2 case to hold more batteries
2337 12 2017-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Geo66
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I can't be the only one wishing that some of the unused space in the  Inspire 2 case had been designed to hold extra batteries. I've found  myself using 4 pairs normally and the case only holds two pairs. Also  the slots for the batteries are too tight to use if you have fitted the  stick on insulating covers and I've already noticed the difference in  flight time using the drone in colder temperatures so I want to be able  to fit these covers to all of the batteries.

So I'm thinking of  using some heavy duty Velcro patches to hold more batteries inside the  case lid and also slightly opening up the slots already there so they  can hold a battery with some Velcro on the side. Then I can Velcro the  insulating covers to the batteries as needed and Velcro spare batteries  to the case lid

In the picture of the inside of the case lid I've  marked A,B,C,D where there is enough room for a battery to fit (with the  display/button side against the case). Location A is the only one that  is a little tight and might need a tiny bit of material removing. There  is still plenty of space between the drone, camera case etc and the  batteries even if the drone were ever to shift slightly in its  housings (looks like approx 8mm clearance between prop hubs and case lid  when sealed shut)

Any advice or opinion welcome. I've used  this Velcro before and it will not fail under the conditions the case  will be subjected to.

Possible battery locations

Possible battery locations
2017-1-22
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 768448 ft
United States

Hi Geo,
  I asked myself the same question, but I think this was intentional by DJI.  I think that when the case is fully loaded as designed, that's all the weight it can withstand.  With so much hollow space, you'd think they would have taken better advantage of it.  But it is indeed a type of foam, and the entire case is made out of it.  Supposedly there's a metal frame to it, but I don't think it's anything more than a form holding frame (think coat hanger).  If you do manage to get more batteries in this case, you might want to put it on a cart for additional support.
2017-1-22
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.3
Flight distance : 921693 ft
United States

Can someone tell me external dimensions of this case
2017-1-22
Use props
BrianDavis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 394528 ft
United States

thomasakira Posted at 2017-1-22 16:58
Can someone tell me external dimensions of this case

It's about 10.25 x 21.5 (handle is proud) x 23.5 inches.
2017-1-23
Use props
BrianDavis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 394528 ft
United States

Hey Geo,

I hear you on the need for more battery storage. Like you, I have 8 batteries and am trying to figure out a solution to hold those and two iPads. So far my thoughts are:

1. Use a separate case for just the batteries, iPads and associated accessories. This would be the easiest solution, but would create one more bag/case I'd need to bring.

2. Create a custom soft case bag that would wrap around the I2's foam case and have external pockets for the extra batteries, iPads, and accessories. I feel like I'm leaning towards this, because it would keep me from modifying the foam case (something I've also thought about) thus retaining some resale value, and I'd be able to use heavy duty webbing handles and shoulder straps. This would give me more carrying options and also keep the weight off the foam case's handle. I've notices that when I pick it up fully loaded (drone, X5S camera, 4 batteries, 2 controllers, charger and cables), there's some give to the foam around the handle. This kind of has me worried about continuing to use the foam case as is.

Another thought I've had if I wasn't concerned with keeping the case in it's original condition was to coat the outside with Herculiner truck bed liner. I had a friend paint his light stand sand bags with that stuff. They're impervious now to tears and abrasion that used to leave them leaking sand all over.

Either way, I'm curious to see what you go with and how it works out.
2017-1-23
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like great opportunities for GPC and other custom case makers...
It will be interesting to see what they come up with.
2017-1-23
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
United States

BrianDavis Posted at 2017-1-23 02:00
Hey Geo,

I hear you on the need for more battery storage. Like you, I have 8 batteries and am trying to figure out a solution to hold those and two iPads. So far my thoughts are:

I was think of this as well, but with hard panels placed inside this outer case in so you could possibly check it in a over crowded flight. I think as is, it may be too big to use as a carry on, but i'm not sure.. I like the way the first TX stands on the side and see if i had the foam It could take two RC's that way.
2017-1-23
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 914711 ft
United States

JohnnieYaz Posted at 2017-1-23 17:56
I was think of this as well, but with hard panels placed inside this outer case in so you could possibly check it in a over crowded flight. I think as is, it may be too big to use as a carry on, but i'm not sure.. I like the way the first TX stands on the side and see if i had the foam It could take two RC's that way.

When you buy a second RC it actually comes with the foam insert to put into the case.
2017-1-25
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

MadFrenchie Posted at 2017-1-25 05:53
When you buy a second RC it actually comes with the foam insert to put into the case.

Yes MadFrenchie. as discussed in another thread.... but also you can see that in between C & D the foam is shaped to hold both controllers from the top in the upright config
2017-1-25
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.3
United States

Coigreach Posted at 2017-1-25 07:45
Yes MadFrenchie. as discussed in another thread.... but also you can see that in between C & D the foam is shaped to hold both controllers from the top  in the upright config

I'm not understanding your statement.. When you insert the foam that comes with the second controller, it sits upright exactly like the original controller and fits perfectly into that slot.
2017-1-25
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Australia

MadFrenchie Posted at 2017-1-25 09:13
I'm not understanding your statement.. When you insert the foam that comes with the second controller, it sits upright exactly like the original controller and fits perfectly into that slot.

yes you are correct that the foam insert goes into the lower part of the case.... look at the top of the case and you will see 2 foam slots that holds the upper part of the RC's in place.
2017-1-25
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.3
United States

Coigreach Posted at 2017-1-25 10:08
yes you are correct that the foam insert goes into the lower part of the case.... look at the top of the case and you will see 2 foam slots that holds the upper part of the RC's in place.

Yeah I know about that.. sorry was just misunderstanding what you were trying to say.
2017-1-25
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Australia

MadFrenchie Posted at 2017-1-25 10:39
Yeah I know about that.. sorry was just misunderstanding what you were trying to say.

All good MadFrenchie
2017-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules