Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Images are darker towards right and left edges
2146 34 2017-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

Hello I have noticed that in several photos that I have taken with my Mavic Pro that it seems the right and left sides of the photo appear darker but the middle is perfect. The sides are in focus so thats not an issue and it does not show up in videos. Has anyone else had this issue or know a fix? I would not think its a camera issue due to videos being normal but maybe a setting or firmware issue?
2017-1-22
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Do you have the latest firmware?

Did you delete the app/reinstall and reset firmware?

Please post some examples.

"Protect animal population. Spayed or Neutered? and License your Pet!"
2017-1-22
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

ePetLicensing.c Posted at 2017-1-22 16:58

At the time yes I did have the latest firmware but since it it has been a few weeks since my last flight I will check again. I will also uninstall and reinstall the app as well.

Working on posting some photos.

2017-1-22
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

ePetLicensing.c Posted at 2017-1-22 16:58

2017-1-22
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ZaneM Posted at 2017-1-22 18:50
At the time yes I did have the latest firmware but since it it has been a few weeks since my last flight I will check again. I will also uninstall and reinstall the app as well.

Working on posting some photos.

ok....will see
2017-1-22
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

It says the file file size is too large... any other ideas on uploading it?
2017-1-22
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ZaneM Posted at 2017-1-22 19:07
It says the file file size is too large... any other ideas on uploading it?

You can upload to dropbox and post the link or reduce the image size to  < 1000KB
2017-1-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Just as mentioned, please upload several original pictures to Dropbox and post the link here, we'll check it for you.
2017-1-23
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

ePetLicensing.c Posted at 2017-1-22 19:27
You can upload to dropbox and post the link or reduce the image size to  < 1000KB

Heres the Dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hxkfp ... MQniHdRdwINe-a?dl=0
2017-1-23
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ZaneM Posted at 2017-1-23 10:56
Heres the Dropbox link

It looks like a vignette effect??? These are straight from the SD card or after processing?

"Protect animal population. Spayed or Neutered? and License your Pet!"
2017-1-23
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-23 02:34
Just as mentioned, please upload several original pictures to Dropbox and post the link here, we'll check it for you.

Heres the Dropbox link

2017-1-24
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Hi.

ZaneM@ It is a hardware-related problem caused by the manufacturer has skimped on the lens diameter and thus the glass during manufacture. Subsequently, the light values up edges around via the camera's software so the image is evenly illuminated. Unfortunately, it does not seem to DJI (or subcontractor?) mastering that technique. Same technique is used in almost any camera, even expensive DSLR.

Regards Leif.
2017-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

These look fine to me, but are you saying a video frame-grab of the same scene would have more evenly distributed light? Are you shooting RAW or were those straight out of camera jpgs?
2017-1-24
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-24 11:21
These look fine to me, but are you saying a video frame-grab of the same scene would have more evenly distributed light? Are you shooting RAW or were those straight out of camera jpgs?

These are coming straight from the Mavic in the RAW format, but yes the video has the light evenly distributed so if you were to video frame-grab, it would be even lighting. Maybe it is because I am using a Mac and the file type is a .dng? Did you see the lighting difference?
2017-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

ZaneM Posted at 2017-1-24 13:05
These are coming straight from the Mavic in the RAW format, but yes the video has the light evenly distributed so if you were to video frame-grab, it would be even lighting. Maybe it is because I am using a Mac and the file type is a .dng? Did you see the lighting difference?

It's difficult for me to tell because I wasn't at the original scene and I usually add some vignetting to my own photos. ;)

I've read but haven't confirmed that DJI processes .jpg to compensate for what's being called hotspot issues -- it would be interesting to shoot next time with RAW + JPG so you could compare the two.

It would also be interesting to see if the same vignetting is evident if you change the photo output format to 16x9.
2017-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Just realized I had some photos and frame grabs you could compare -- can't guarantee I didn't add some vignetting to the photos -- I'd have to go back and look at my Lightroom settings, which I can do when I get home if you like. Anyway, fwiw: https://www.flickr.com/photos/le ... 4/with/32239757611/
2017-1-24
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-24 14:08
Just realized I had some photos and frame grabs you could compare -- can't guarantee I didn't add some vignetting to the photos -- I'd have to go back and look at my Lightroom settings, which I can do when I get home if you like. Anyway, fwiw: https://www.flickr.com/photos/le ... 4/with/32239757611/

I think that next time I will try RAW + JPG and switch to 16:9 as well to see what that does. It takes great pictures though.
2017-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-24 14:08

Ok, went back to Lightroom and I added no vignetting to those shots in my Flickr album, just level adjustments and some sharpening on one or two. Cheers.
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

ZaneM Posted at 2017-1-24 08:48
Heres the Dropbox link

Please upload a video as well for comparison, thanks.
2017-1-25
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-25 00:49

I uploaded three clips to Dropbox that were in the same location as the pictures were. I am going to test the Mavic today by changing some camera settings to see if I notice a difference.  Thanks for your help!
2017-1-25
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

After doing some testing it seems that the only time I see the issue is when I use a RAW/.dng format. If I open a .jpg it looks perfectly normal, even light distribution just like it should be. I took a total of 52 pictures cycling through various camera settings, after looking at all of the pictures it seems to be something with the RAW format causing the issue.
2017-1-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

ZaneM Posted at 2017-1-25 08:47
After doing some testing it seems that the only time I see the issue is when I use a RAW/.dng format. If I open a .jpg it looks perfectly normal, even light distribution just like it should be. I took a total of 52 pictures cycling through various camera settings, after looking at all of the pictures it seems to be something with the RAW format causing the issue.

Ok, so that suggests DJI is using a camera profile of sorts to modify the resultant jpg. We'd have to have the same profile in our editing apps, or our apps would have to recognize and understand the profile should it be embedded in the RAW file.

Look forward to hearing what DJI has to say, please keep us in the loop!
2017-1-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Huh, check this out: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hf8qau ... %20Shading.pdf?dl=0

I'm thinking this color shading due to camera's low flange distance described in the above document could indeed be responsible for this effect, the red hotspot wouldn't be visible in most content but may still result in a vignette-like affect?
2017-1-26
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-26 08:45
Huh, check this out: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hf8qauswt8fggei/Mavic%20Pro%20Color%20Shading.pdf?dl=0

I'm thinking this color shading due to camera's low flange distance described in the above document could indeed be responsible for this effect, the red hotspot wouldn't be visible in most content but may still result in a vignette-like affect?

It could be but its strange that the file format changes how the color shading is. I am interested to see what DJI thinks about it as well.  
2017-1-26
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-25 00:49

Have you had a chance to look at the photos/videos?
2017-2-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

ZaneM Posted at 2017-2-6 06:10
Have you had a chance to look at the photos/videos?

Sorry to delay reply due to CNY holiday.
Color shading effect is inherently the optical character of highly compact camera modules. It's not caused by defective lenses, and we have tried hard to correct it in ISP and make the influence to be least noticeable. If you're sensitive to this, reduce saturation a little bit would do some help.
2017-2-7
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-2-7 01:20
Color shading effect is inherently the optical character of highly compact camera modules. It's not caused by defective lenses, and we have tried hard to correct it in ISP and make the influence to be least noticeable. If you're sensitive to this, reduce saturation a little bit would do some help.

Thanks for the information! I hope you had a great CNY!
2017-2-7
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-2-7 01:20

Also any idea on why the .jpg photos do not have this effect but the raw photos do?
2017-2-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

ZaneM Posted at 2017-2-7 17:35
Also any idea on why the .jpg photos do not have this effect but the raw photos do?

I've transferred the files to our engineers, will get back to you once I get any information from them.
2017-2-8
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-2-8 00:29
I've transferred the files to our engineers, will get back to you once I get any information from them.

Thank you for the help!
2017-2-8
Use props
DJI相机部大帅哥
DJI R&D Squad

China

Hello ZaneM, this is camera engineer at DJI. We checked your files on Dropbox. It seems to me that the still photos are developed from DNG (RAW) files by post-processing software. If my understanding is correct and you are referring to the vignetting on DNG, it is indeed caused by the color shading of the lens.

When generating JPEG and video, Mavic tries its best to implement such correction to minimize color shading ( although we are aware that on some certain scenarios such as snow and cloudy scenes there is still residual color shading). However, currently our DNG does not support automatic color shading correction and only uncorrected raw data are saved. This results in more noticeable color shading compared with the JPEG and video, and at the same time gives the feeling that the corners are darker.

This is not a defective piece but a common optical characteristic of short flange-back lenses, which relies on software to correct. We are working hard on an algorithm to improve the precision of color shading correction for a wider range of illumination conditions, as well as implementing the correction in the DNG.
2017-2-9
Use props
Prism 6
New

Hong Kong

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-2-9
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

2017-2-10
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

2017-2-10
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

Thank you for the information you provided, I really appreciate it.  I knew it was something with DNG and the way they are processed. I have although found a work around in my photo editing software so I have been able to correct the issue.  

Thanks again for the response! DJI has really impressed me!
2017-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules