Week old P3S lost in river due to new home point set!
12Next >
3798 43 2017-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JamieQuin
New

United Kingdom

hey guys, hoping you can help.

Today on a routine perfectly normal flight, perfect weather conditions etc.. after a full check and calibration of the p3s I took flight, for 18 minutes it went perfect. I then got a battery low message so set RTH. The second I did this the home point updated to over 1000 meters away! i cancelled RTH but it would not let me, it kept coming back onto RTH getting further and further away.manually I couldn't move the drone close to me either. It was determined to reach and land in its home point in the middle of the river

Please find flight log here.. watch from 18 minutes onwards.

Very unhappy with this as it seems a common issue. I suppose it's lucky it went in the water not the road! Now after a week I'm £510 out of pocket and lost a new battery.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/N11UJV9GIDVKIKT73AIZ/

Any help appreciated. I have contacted DJI and will be seeking legal advice if nothing comes of it.

Thanks
2017-1-22
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

I am only new to this myself but it seems that at 18m8.1sec it set a new Home Point.  Then 2 secs later it initiated a RTH.  It's a shame the Home Point was right out in the river.
2017-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Not another jumping home point!
All are P3 Standard
All have Max Distance limit set.

This is weird.
We saw 2 of these six months ago and none since ... until yesterday and now there are about 5 reported.
Has there been a new firmware release that people have just accepted?

Home point jumps to somewhere usually within 2 km and puts the Phantom out of the Max Distance limit.
Phantom then goes to RTH to the new home point to get back inside the limit.
Bingo - Shenzen we have a problem

Until this is sorted out, Standard owners should not use the Max Distance limit
It can cause more trouble than it's worth.
2017-1-22
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Personally I consider this is a problem of the latest Go app where it cannot keep Home point correct.

I have rolled back to 2.9.1 Go to avoid this.

Nigel
2017-1-22
Use props
DaveH_au
lvl.2

Australia

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-22 17:23
All are P3 Standard

Hi,
I posted about this problem yesterday. I found it was the new updated Android App v3.1.2 that is not correct with it's GPS location.

Your response yesterday was Quote" Don't jump to conclusions.
What you describe is unlikely to be related to either firmware or the app and it probably has a logical explanation that could be discovered by examining flight data.
We seem to have several people convincing themselves of an imaginary problem due to confusion.
I've explained some of this here" Unquote.

It is not the max distance as I do not have it set. It is the new version of the android App 3.1.2
Have a look at the picture I posted and I have circled where it jumped to 192 metres for my location to the AC when I was only 2 metres away.

I downgraded the APP and it is back to normal reporting where I should be.

I don"t believe I jumped to conclusions, Just wanted to warn others to be aware.
From all the other posts appearing it is a MAJOR issue and needs addressing before someone is injured. It is bad enough for people to loose and crash their drones because of an issue with the App.
Regards
Dave
2017-1-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

What a darn shame to read about these inadvertent errors. That must have been very depressing.

Hopefully, after evaluatimg the flight LOG, DJI will help you get back in the air with a new, or reconditioned bird. Good luck.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DaveH_au Posted at 2017-1-22 23:44
Hi,
I posted about this problem yesterday. I found it was the new updated Android App v3.1.2 that is not correct with it's GPS location.

I've re-read your post and still can't see anything definite to indicate your issue is related.
Perhaps it is - but your explanation isn't enough for me to be certain.
My advice is the same as yesterday ....
If you want to be sure post flight data and I'll look at it closely.
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.
2017-1-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Jamie, sorry for your lost, just to verify, you contacted our tech support via e-mail, right? may I have your ticket number so that I can follow up your case?
Please sync your flight records through DJI GO, if you have cached video at that moment, you can send it to us as well, thanks.
Our engineers will analyze the data and let you know the analysis result.
2017-1-23
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-22 17:23
All are P3 Standard

It is not only P3standard to my opinion.
This case is exactly like mine but it is a P3 pro !
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 6orderby%3Ddateline

Just to mention it ;-)
2017-1-23
Use props
JamieQuin
New

United Kingdom

Hi Natalia,

I am unsure if this is the ticket number but this is the subject of an email I had in reply?

Unfortunately the final video did not save to my phone

Please keep me updated

2017-1-23
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1988 ft
United Kingdom

I bought a DJI Phantom 3 (my first actual drone), which arrived this afternoon.  I got it all configured, activated, tutorials watched etc.  I performed 4 very simple flights in the field infront of my house.  Very basic maneuvers and utilzing the return to home function to land the drone.  All of this happening in beginners mode.  On my final flight when I pressed the return to home button the drone started to ascend then changed direction and flew away over the houses into the horizon.  The drone quickly dropped signal with the receiver and i've never seen it since after hours of searching in the dark.  How the hell can this happen?  I have had the drone for 20 minutes!!!
2017-1-25
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1988 ft
United Kingdom

From looking at the flight data, the home location changes mid flight  and the new home location is on a beach miles from my house.

Please tell me that people have had positive resolution from DJI on this issue!! I really do not want to hear that i have spent £500 to enjoy 20 minutes of flying infront of my house only for it not to be seen again!
2017-1-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

This thread seems to be a nice summary of the problem:  http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... -rth-issues.104355/
2017-1-26
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

Where can I download 3.1.1?
2017-1-26
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Dave P Posted at 2017-1-26 04:15
Where can I download 3.1.1?

Here, do a search: https://apkpure.com/
Or here, page down: https://apkplz.com/android-apps/dji-go

2017-1-26
Use props
Ciro Italy
lvl.3

Italy

here, i have 3.0.1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3cezm ... t-3.0.1-73.apk?dl=0
2017-1-26
Use props
~G~
lvl.2
United States

There is obviously an uptick in jumping home positions lately.  Can anyone confirm if this is isolated to Android or is it happening to "I" device users as well?  It seems most people are reporting they use Android.
2017-1-26
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
United Kingdom

WilliamM Posted at 2017-1-26 11:04
Here, do a search: https://apkpure.com/
Or here, page down: https://apkplz.com/android-apps/dji-go

Many thanks, downloaded and installed. I will try it tomorrow and report back
2017-1-26
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
United Kingdom

~G~ Posted at 2017-1-26 11:47
There is obviously an uptick in jumping home positions lately.  Can anyone confirm if this is isolated to Android or is it happening to "I" device users as well?  It seems most people are reporting they use Android.

Just looked and the latest figures I found show that worldwide android has 80% market share so it wouldn't be surprising. That said it may be a lower percentage amongst drone users, particularly as only a few make of android phones are supported by Dji
2017-1-26
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Dave P Posted at 2017-1-26 14:37
Many thanks, downloaded and installed. I will try it tomorrow and report back

Hope you uninstalled the first one before hand.
2017-1-26
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Dave P Posted at 2017-1-26 14:46
Just looked and the latest figures I found show that worldwide android has 80% market share so it wouldn't be surprising. That said it may be a lower percentage amongst drone users, particularly as only a few make of android phones are supported by Dji

80% have hemroids?

Wow! That's an epidemic.

2017-1-26
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

You had the distance limit set to something, correct? Seems to be happening with this version when you do.
2017-1-26
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
United Kingdom

WilliamM Posted at 2017-1-26 14:56
Hope you uninstalled the first one before hand.

Yep, I uninstalled the first one. I have 3.1.1 on my tablet and 3.1.2 on my mobile, so if 3.1.1. is not working well while I'm testing it I can use my mobile which I've flown it with quite a bit.
2017-1-27
Use props
Sam Cornwall
lvl.1
Flight distance : 188346 ft

United Kingdom

This is a very real problem which needs a fix ASAP. Heres a link to another ongoing forum thread about it... http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=81598&pid=667859&extra=&mobile=2&page=4
2017-1-27
Use props
DJ Nee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84610 ft
Australia

Sam Cornwall Posted at 2017-1-27 02:05
This is a very real problem which needs a fix ASAP. Heres a link to another ongoing forum thread about it... http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=81598&pid=667859&extra=&mobile=2&page=4

Sorry to railroad....Sam, is your surname Cornwall or are you from the county of Cornwall?
2017-1-27
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Dave P Posted at 2017-1-27 01:43
Yep, I uninstalled the first one. I have 3.1.1 on my tablet and 3.1.2 on my mobile, so if 3.1.1. is not working well while I'm testing it I can use my mobile which I've flown it with quite a bit.

With all I've been reading lately about 3.1.2 I would NOT use it at all, even just for testing. Go with 3.1, or even 3.0 or 2.9 if you want google maps over the Here map.
2017-1-27
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
United Kingdom

So, I said I would report back after removing 3.1.2 and installing 3.1.1, and it now allows me to implement Follow Me mode with no Aircraft Too Far Away message, so it seems to be fairly conclusive that there is a bug in 3.1.2. That said I wasn't impress with the 2 test flights of Follow Me - the first one it moved from side to side and as soon as I took a step moved about 10m then back again and there were a few trees nearby so I cancelled it. The second was in a big open field and when I started walking it did nothing for a second or so them lurched forward and overtook me, then went backwards again, off to the side, back around me etc. I had 14/14 satellites locked, good satellite, WiFi strength etc. That said my device is not supported but I have a Nexus 7 II on the way so let's see what that does.
2017-1-27
Use props
Billy Banana 4
lvl.3
United States

I did an update about a week ago (jan 19th) and only flew mine once right after the update. I didn't drain the batt enough for it to need to RTH and mine landed safely (thank God). I  flew again the next morning and experienced a compass problem.
I assume I updated to version 3.1.2 How can I tell for sure what version I have? This is scary and I don't want mine to fly away to the abyss.
Sorry to those of you that have lost your, hopefully dji takes care of you.
2017-1-27
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

You can roll back your DJI Go app with a download from HERE Make sure you uninstall the current app, do a reboot of your phone/tablet and then install the .apk I rolled back to 2.9.1 as I know it is a safe and stable version.
2017-1-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Billy Banana 4 Posted at 2017-1-27 09:24
I did an update about a week ago (jan 19th) and only flew mine once right after the update. I didn't drain the batt enough for it to need to RTH and mine landed safely (thank God). I  flew again the next morning and experienced a compass problem.
I assume I updated to version 3.1.2 How can I tell for sure what version I have? This is scary and I don't want mine to fly away to the abyss.
Sorry to those of you that have lost your, hopefully dji takes care of you.

You can tell your app and firmware versions by connecting the Phantom and in the app, go to settings, click the 3 dots icon down the bottom and go to the baottom of that page and click on About.

To just check the app version, you don't have to connect the Phantom.
2017-1-27
Use props
Billy Banana 4
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-27 15:02
You can tell your app and firmware versions by connecting the Phantom and in the app, go to settings, click the 3 dots icon down the bottom and go to the baottom of that page and click on About.

To just check the app version, you don't have to connect the Phantom.

ok thanks a lot
2017-1-27
Use props
Billy Banana 4
lvl.3
United States

MerlinL14 Posted at 2017-1-27 10:06
You can roll back your DJI Go app with a download from HERE Make sure you uninstall the current app, do a reboot of your phone/tablet and then install the .apk I rolled back to 2.9.1 as I know it is a safe and stable version.

I rolled back to the 2.9.1. app. now i am getting firmware update warnings. should i just ignore those?
THANKS
2017-1-27
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Billy Banana 4 Posted at 2017-1-27 17:48
I rolled back to the 2.9.1. app. now i am getting firmware update warnings. should i just ignore those?
THANKS

The Go app should have nothing to do with a new FW message, as the FW is in the hardware. What FW are you on now?
2017-1-27
Use props
Billy Banana 4
lvl.3
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2017-1-27 19:42
The Go app should have nothing to do with a new FW message, as the FW is in the hardware. What FW are you on now?

Not really sure, do you know how to check that?
2017-1-27
Use props
Day_Dreamer
lvl.1

United States

Billy Banana 4 Posted at 2017-1-27 20:11

In the app with camera view, you can hit settings, general settings.. then click version for remote firm ware... To view app fireware, . Disconnect from camera view.  Hit the me button at bottom right.. , then hit settings.  The app FW will be displayed at very bottom
2017-1-27
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Billy Banana 4 Posted at 2017-1-27 20:11

With all your equipment powered up, load the Go app and go to the camera screen. Find "about" in the setting. You should find the Go app version and also the FW version number.
2017-1-27
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
United Kingdom

So, I went out this morning, had a go at ATTI-Mode - scary but good! I also thought I'd try Follow Me again but I had the Aircraft Too Far Away error again that I'd had before I downgraded to 3.1.1, checked the version and it was 3.1.2, then I realised it had updated from the Google Play Store, ha ha
2017-1-29
Use props
JamieQuin
New

United Kingdom

Dave P Posted at 2017-1-29 02:18
So, I went out this morning, had a go at ATTI-Mode - scary but good! I also thought I'd try Follow Me again but I had the Aircraft Too Far Away error again that I'd had before I downgraded to 3.1.1, checked the version and it was 3.1.2, then I realised it had updated from the Google Play Store, ha ha

I still haven't heard back from DJI. Total joke now!
2017-1-29
Use props
eliot may
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245367 ft
United States

MerlinL14 Posted at 2017-1-27 10:06

nice thanks
2017-1-29
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
United Kingdom

That doesn't say where HERE is and there's no link BUT I know where to get it anyway as I have before. I just have to ensure it doesn't automatically update from the Google Play Store, which I haven't tried for an individual App as I want things to auto update generally.
2017-1-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules