Phantom 4 Pro Plus range
4913 11 2017-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeffdj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 820102 ft
Australia

Started to do some serious tests on my Phantom 4 Pro Plus with regard to control and video transmission range before I embark on commercial work. Have a Phantom 3 Pro and Mavic Pro both of which give excellent range ie over 3km.
Tested today at a nearby beach that I have used for Mavic Pro and Phantom 3 Pro tests.
Conditions
Very light winds, bright sunny conditions, no visible sources of interference.
Test 1 Phantom 4 Pro plus, 2.4 signal auto, altitude constant 60 m, good signal no interrupts until 2.5km then the odd glitch but no problem, signal strenth low message, 1 bar at 3km continue to fly to 3.6km then return on track out, odd glitch but no problems.
This was ok but disappointing as I had flown my Phantom 3 pro to the same distance, I expected to go to at least 5km.
Second test, 5.8 signal auto. Same height and course as test 1, good signal until 1.5km then signal drops to 2 bars and at 2.km lose both video and control signal return to base initiated by Phantom 4 Pro Plus, after waiting a few seconds I take over control and return.
These results are way below what the DJI information states about the Phantom 4 Pro Plus. All pre checks where ok and antennae always orientated to max effect as per DJI.
Checking the manual settings in the HD menu I noticed that you can set the data rate to 4mb to increase range but even then it is only 3km according to the menus. At 6mb it is 2km. How is this compatible with the stated range of either 5 or 7km? Also does the lower bit rate apply when the auto switch is on? I am in Australia and not sure which transmission power is relevent, ie US or EC.
All other functions seem ok except video caption which no matter which switch position, green or grey I get no SRT folder and files on the SD card. I have not had this problem with either the Mavic Pro or Phantom 3 Pro.
The quality of the video and photos from the new camera are a real bonus but other aspects of the Phantom 4 Pro Plus are below par. Also although the new built in screen is great in strong sunlight it wont even let you read downloaded Phantom 4 Pro manuals because there is no app installed. I believe you cannot install any new apps into the new screen/tablet.
I think DJI have not really thought through the new Pro Plus system, I hope they fix these issues.
Questions,
How do i fix the poor range issues, the lack of SRT files and the inability to read my downloaded manuals or install new apps?
Do I return this unit for a replacement?

2017-1-22
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

Australia is CE and we get the lower output and about half the stated max range .Even with the reduced range it should be way more than enough as you cannot legally fly beyond VLOS unless you have an endorcement to do so from CASA .

Hopefully DJI will make some changes with the attached device in an update so that you can install other apps to make the tablet usable as more than just a screen but for now your stuck using a seperate device. I dont think exchanging it for another will make any differance to your issues.

2017-1-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha jeff,

The P4 Pro and P4 Pro + (plus) do not use .SRT files for video captioning.  The captions are embedded and show up on screen when subtitles are enabled.  Paul seems to have the rest covered.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-1-23
Use props
jeffdj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 820102 ft
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-1-23 03:00
Aloha jeff,

The P4 Pro and P4 Pro + (plus) do not use .SRT files for video captioning.  The captions are embedded and show up on screen when subtitles are enabled.  Paul seems to have the rest covered.

Thank you Paul and Cetacean for the information.
2017-1-23
Use props
picky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 279 ft
Australia

Phantom-Paul 7 Posted at 2017-1-22 22:54
Australia is CE and we get the lower output and about half the stated max range .Even with the reduced range it should be way more than enough as you cannot legally fly beyond VLOS unless you have an endorcement to do so from CASA .

Hopefully DJI will make some changes with the attached device in an update so that you can install other apps to make the tablet usable as more than just a screen but for now your stuck using a seperate device. I dont think exchanging it for another will make any differance to your issues.

Strange why they seem to reduce the range for the P4P and not the Mavic considering the range advertised. I am not brave enough to take it 1 kilometer let alone 4 or more.
I recently got my P4P  and only taken to about 100 meters until I get out in the country side.
My 2.4 and 5.8 setting is locked at 2.4 for some reason and unable to change it even it in manual or auto.
Maybe you have some idea on this. Maybe it in the software.
2017-1-23
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

picky Posted at 2017-1-23 22:42
Strange why they seem to reduce the range for the P4P and not the Mavic considering the range advertised. I am not brave enough to take it 1 kilometer let alone 4 or more.
I recently got my P4P  and only taken to about 100 meters until I get out in the country side.
My 2.4 and 5.8 setting is locked at 2.4 for some reason and unable to change it even it in manual or auto.

Aloha picky,

Look at the bottom of your remote controller and see if you can find the number for your remote controller model.  Do you have a GL300 C or D?

I cannot figure out why it would be stuck unless the 5.8 GHz is not working for some reason.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-1-23
Use props
picky
lvl.2
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-1-23 23:57
Aloha picky,

Look at the bottom of your remote controller and see if you can find the number for your remote controller model.  Do you have a GL300 C or D?

Hi The controller is a GL300E with the attached display.
2017-1-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

picky Posted at 2017-1-24 00:10
Hi The controller is a GL300E with the attached display.

Aloha picky,

Well, so much for that idea!  Sounds like there are no easy answers so far.  Hopefully a DJI Team member can help you.  Maybe you should start a thread with a title like;

P4 Pro + Controller GL300E Stuck in 2.4 GHz

Then explain your problem.  That way you will not be hijacking this thread and it will get the Team members attention better.  

Good Luck, I will still be thinking about what it could be.  If I come up with something I will post in your new thread.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-1-24
Use props
picky
lvl.2
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-1-24 00:44
Aloha picky,

Well, so much for that idea!  Sounds like there are no easy answers so far.  Hopefully a DJI Team member can help you.  Maybe you should start a thread with a title like;

Hi thank you for your reply. No intention to hijack this thread. Sorry if I have sinned. I did start a thread regarding it but only one response. Take care and happy flying.
2017-1-24
Use props
fansee00f5cc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 221414 ft
Australia

Checked the on screen data info by switching on subtitles in vlc,text way too small,this information will not show up in any other of my video players or my 4K Samsung TV. Lets go back to SRT files please DJI.
2017-1-24
Use props
wpb52
lvl.1
Flight distance : 294029 ft
Germany

@ Cetacean
I found the imbedded subtitles in VLC but I miss the GPS Time Information.

@DJI
Lets go back to the SRT files please.
We need the exact GPS time written in an external srt-file to synchronise 4x P4Ps -like it was possible with our P3P.

2017-1-30
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United States

picky Posted at 2017-1-23 22:42

The default is 5.8 ghz, it will only switch to 2.4 if it sees enough interference on 5.8. I suspect the area where you use your drone is heavy with 5.8 ghz interference if you only ever see it working in 2.4
2017-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules