Mavic Pro Technical Issues & Low Support Performance
5239 22 2017-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ejder Bingül
lvl.2
Turkey

Hi All,

I am new at forum but experienced drone pilot for almost 3 years. First of all, sorry for my English or any typo error.
I would like to open a new topic on which we can discuss/share all tecnical issues regarding Mavic Pro, also come together in one topic to make our sounds louder and louder to call attention for DJI responsibles as aggrieved ones. Pls comment your thoughts this topic and let it stay alive until they fix it.

DJI really changed drone environment with its magical product Phantom and dominated industry. After introducing Mavic Pro, i really got excited like most of drone fanatics and expect that with Mavic pro DJI will conquer world of drones and break away other competitors (like Apple did in 2007). I was expecting that Mavic will going to be Iphone of industry until i bought it. As i can see from all technical topics and my bad experiences with Mavic there are really serious bugs of Mavic Pro which changed my view to DJI.

DJI has been aggresively growing with their good work up to today. I strongly advise them to keep their good work like in the past to stay in #1 throne. Support team acting like drunks with victory and don't take necessary actions yet.

Here are the some technical problems;

1. Jello Problem on Camera
2. Gimbal Vibration/Clitch
3. GPS lost problem during flight (My mavic completely damaged because of that problem)
4. Compass IMU Calibration error during flight (Despite i calibrate before each flight)

"Yesterday i had serious problem with my DJI MAVIC PRO. I had almost 7 or 8 satellite connections during flight and after climbing 90 meters altitude it suddenly lost all satellites and change it to ATTI mode. I tried all possible joystick commands one by one to bring aircaft back, (up,down, rudder left-right, right left, backwards, pause button, etc.) but none of them worked.I couldn't send any commands to device and instead of hovering my Mavic started to go right slowly and after 5-6 meters going to right it crashed wall and fell into ground. Now, every component of Mavic has been totally damaged (after free fall from 90 meters) and un-usable. Pls advice what to do. That was not my fault and i am %100 sure that there is a big software bug that has to be re-considered with my device. I am not a new drone pilot, i have been using drones more than 3 years and i really got shocked after this accident.

2017-1-23
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18980 ft
United Kingdom

As im sure many will agree with me, the issues with the mavic are not as widespread as the forum suggests. Remember, forums tend to attract those with problems and not those who are out and about enjoying their mavic with little or no problems.

Im not replying to start an argument, im replying to clear up some hard facts which are relevant irrespective of someone's drone experience.
REMEMBER....this is a new drone, and is bound to have issues WHICH ARE being addressed. Although I agree DJI support is not seeming to live up to what it should.

1) Jello problem - Yes ive seen some user with it, but compare this with the number of mavic sold and its minimal.
2) Gimbal Vibration - Again, multiple reports and many have been solved by ensure the whole gimbal mechanism is under the clips properly. Some vibrations have been experienced in high wind too, over what the mavic is certified to.
3) GPS loss - I believe this problem was improved by the last firmware update.  However, remember how small this drone is... the components are very close together and there susceptible to interference more than other drones
4) Compass IMU calibration - READ DJI KEN'S POSTS ON MANY OCCASIONS STATING YOU SHOULD ONLY DO THIS IF THE APP REQUESTS, AND NOT EVERYTIME

5) Your specific story about GPS loss -  7-8 satellites is not many at all. All my flights have been over 14, with a max of 20 seen so far.  Also, the number of satellites is only one indicator, the little bars next to it is the STRENGTH OF SATELLITES which is far more important.

Hope some of my replies are helpful, and as I say, this is not intended as a argument come back.   I am sure many other members here will echo or add to what I have said
2017-1-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Just 2 things you should be aware of, if you are continually doing IMU calibration there is a risk of getting a bad calibration, if you refer to Manual regarding IMU/ compass calibration you will read not to calibrate unless prompted.
7/8 sats, in order to fly gps you should have 12 or more sats, what was probably happening to your aircraft was more than likely moving between gps and Atti causing your aircraft to act the way it did.

Also with recent firmware upgrades many problems have been sorted out, although I don't have any problem with jello and I can see from what I read there is a problem with a few, so yes it's a good idea bringing this to the attention of dji,  and I'm sure it will be sorted with future upgrade. Good luck..
2017-1-23
Use props
Fiveform 2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136230 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flying mine for two weeks and no issues.  First flight forgot to do compass calibration and afterwards stead as a rock. I've noted that in performing my upgrades via DJI assistant and my PC, I would still receive and upgrade notice in the DJI Go4 app. Turned out to be an update needed for the RC. I'm wondering how many users have perhaps failed to upgrade RC after upgrading the bird and suffer failures or issues as a result?  Also, no transmission issues and flights have been ultra stable. I've been taking things slowly and a step at a time. I've been a UAV flier since April of this year and the Mavic is my fifth prosumer drone.  As a photographer and videographer the P4P and Mavic have opened up new adventures and imaging opportunities....
2017-1-23
Use props
Ejder Bingül
lvl.2
Turkey

http://healthydrones.com/main?fl ... 0c792e06ff57b9e480b

You can find flight log from above link as well. Nothing can explain why my i couldn't command Mavic after GPS loss on ATTI mode.
2017-1-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ejder Bingül Posted at 2017-1-23 12:56
http://healthydrones.com/main?flight=617970947c1c60c792e06ff57b9e480b

You can find flight log from above link as well. Nothing can explain why my i couldn't command Mavic after GPS loss on ATTI mode.

I don't think it's a software issue, it looks like you took of in an area not suitable with little or no gps  your aircraft went into Atti and you lost control, you say it wasn't responding to commands yet healthy drones is saying there was response to left hand rudder, there is very little info there, my advice is to sync your flight to dji cloud and take up your case with them. Good luck
2017-1-23
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Seems like interference in the signal after the GPS mode changed to atti.
Maybe something local like phone tower/wifi hotspot in the area?

Bad luck with your experience, hope DJI come to the party and help you out in decent timeframe.
2017-1-23
Use props
Ejder Bingül
lvl.2
Turkey

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-23 15:00
I don't think it's a software issue, it looks like you took of in an area not suitable with little or no gps  your aircraft went into Atti and you lost control, you say it wasn't responding to commands yet healthy drones is saying there was response to left hand rudder, there is very little info there, my advice is to sync your flight to dji cloud and take up your case with them. Good luck

Yes, there was response to left joystick but no response to right one. I was very close to wall (4 or 5 meters) on the right side of aircraft. After losing GPS connection aircraft changed mode to ATTI and started drifting right to the wall, i push right stick to the left and back but it didn't worked.

That also happened 2-3 days ago in another flight also. But, after 3 or 4 seconds i can give command from right stick again.
2017-1-23
Use props
Ejder Bingül
lvl.2
Turkey

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-1-23 15:26
Seems like interference in the signal after the GPS mode changed to atti.
Maybe something local like phone tower/wifi hotspot in the area?

There weren't any phone tower near area. DJI even don't care and respond yet, no one can accept such a problem ruin the 1300$ investment. I still don't understand why i couldn't command aircraft with right stick on ATTI mode, despite wind was almost 0.
2017-1-23
Use props
Ejder Bingül
lvl.2
Turkey

Upload a photo of my Mavic. It changed GPS mode to ATTI mode and i couldn't control it despite i try to send commands to take it back by pulling right stick down, it drifted right and hits a building's wall. Fall down 92 meters height, this is the result. Still waiting response from Support team. Be careful with Mavic guys!!!

2017-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ejder Bingül Posted at 2017-1-24 05:26
Upload a photo of my Mavic. It changed GPS mode to ATTI mode and i couldn't control it despite i try to send commands to take it back by pulling right stick down, it drifted right and hits a building's wall. Fall down 92 meters height, this is the result. Still waiting response from Support team. Be careful with Mavic guys!!!

[view_image]

If you loose gps and go into Atti the best way to regain gps is to fly higher, you were trying to lower your Mavic,
2017-1-24
Use props
Ejder Bingül
lvl.2
Turkey

still don't understand why i couldn't command with right joystick. Do you mean it s my fault?
2017-1-24
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

DJI will be able to look in detail at the flight logs ie the DAT file and provide feedback
2017-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ejder Bingül Posted at 2017-1-24 05:52
still don't understand why i couldn't command with right joystick. Do you mean it s my fault?

It's hard to know you said originally said that you only had 7/8 sats , so you were taking a risk taking off in that area, and you obviously had use or right stick when you took off,
From the logs you posted it's not possible to say what happened one can only tell from what you have been saying, if as you say you had got a P3 previous to Mavic then you would have known gps won't operate properly with only 7/8 sats.
2017-1-24
Use props
Ejder Bingül
lvl.2
Turkey

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-24 06:45
It's hard to know you said originally said that you only had 7/8 sats , so you were taking a risk taking off in that area, and you obviously had use or right stick when you took off,
From the logs you posted it's not possible to say what happened one can only tell from what you have been saying, if as you say you had got a P3 previous to Mavic then you would have known gps won't operate properly with only 7/8 sats.

Problem is not with GPS mode or number of sats related. It is related with ATTI mode, when device changing mode from GPS to ATTI (i guess) for 4 or 5 seconds right joystick doesn't response than it fixes itself. Crash was in this time interval (4-5 seconds after losing GPS).  And this was not my first experience with mavic it happened 2 days before again but i didn't consider that it was related with device. I thought i made a mistake.
2017-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ejder Bingül Posted at 2017-1-24 06:58
Problem is not with GPS mode or number of sats related. It is related with ATTI mode, when device changing mode from GPS to ATTI (i guess) for 4 or 5 seconds right joystick doesn't response than it fixes itself. Crash was in this time interval (4-5 seconds after losing GPS).  And this was not my first experience with mavic it happened 2 days before again but i didn't consider that it was related with device. I thought i made a mistake.

Look I'm sure dji will be able to find out what happened, from your logs, I'm sure if you play back your flight on the app you will be able to see stick movements, and at the same time Mavic not responding.
2017-1-24
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

".... DJI really changed drone environment with its magical product Phantom and dominated industry. After introducing Mavic Pro, i really got excited like most of drone fanatics and expect that with Mavic pro DJI will conquer world of drones and break away other competitors (like Apple did in 2007). I was expecting that Mavic will going to be Iphone of industry until i bought it. As i can see from all technical topics and my bad experiences with Mavic there are really serious bugs of Mavic Pro which changed my view to DJI..... "

1.) I am REALLY happy that Mavic is NOT an i(crap)Phone. iPhone: technology of two years ago that mostly does not work and leaves consumers "in the rain". iPhone does not work when it´s too cold (my Mavic flies perfectly at -10°C and a Canadian´s Mavic-owner ONLY problem at -20°C was that his crap iPhone stopped working), or when it´s too hot. iPhone has a lot of problems with screens and if Mavic would use two year old technology that thing wouldn´t even fly.

So never ever compare Mavic with an iPhone.

2.) Mavic is a top-notch peace of technology at an AFFORDABLE price, but of course it is limited due to AVAILABLE and AFFORDABLE technology. Read Forums about the more expensiveYuneec Typhoon H and You will have to see that EVERY new piece of technology has problems at the beginning. We Mavic-users (well aware that this is the first series issued) are early-adopters and somehow test-pilots for DJI.

3.) Mavic depends on input of both radiowaves (GPS, RC, WiFi) and radio-wave-frequencies are pretty crowded. So the integration of hardware, software and external input (e.g. GPS) is NOT FAIL-SAFE, but as safe as realistically possible. Airbus A 380 had problems with avionics and batteries AND composite-technology of the wings and the "early adopter airlines" had to pay the price as we have to pay the price to fly our Mavics NOW. Samsung had his problem with exploding batteries due to tenth of millimeters too big batteries. As a matter of fact NO SINGLE piece of technology produced by humans can ever be flawless. (GoPro Hero-drone was withdrawn due to major faults). Never ever await, that any technological product will work as advertised and flawless. It is impossible. In medicine I have to be HONEST and tell my patients about CHANCES to be cured but I can never ever give guarantees that it will work. Too many variables .................

4.) The more complex a piece of technology the more chances to fail: a) in the assembly (enslaved and underpayed workers have to put them together so that WE can afford a Mavic), b) software engineers have to find a compromise between usability and safety (what if Mavic would fly only max. 10km/h and whenever a disturbance occurs - e.g. GPS-loss, interference etc.- just hangs in the air and the only thing left to do is to land it ?)

5.) Most problems occur because users don´t read the manual, don´t understand the technology (and it´s physics of sensors, aerodynamics, meteorology etc.) and just take granted that they can do whatever was advertised "out of the box".

6.) Most Mavics fly flawless and their owners maybe don´t even care about this forum. So if assumed 1-5% of all Mavic owners find problems with their Mavic this is bad luck. If problems would be enormous, DJI would have called back Mavic as GoPro hero-drone was called back, because DJI could not afford a sh..storm rolling over the company.

Conclusion: Mavic is FAR BETTER than any iPhone ever was and will ever be ......................

2017-1-24
Use props
Ejder Bingül
lvl.2
Turkey

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-1-24 08:45
".... DJI really changed drone environment with its magical product Phantom and dominated industry. After introducing Mavic Pro, i really got excited like most of drone fanatics and expect that with Mavic pro DJI will conquer world of drones and break away other competitors (like Apple did in 2007). I was expecting that Mavic will going to be Iphone of industry until i bought it. As i can see from all technical topics and my bad experiences with Mavic there are really serious bugs of Mavic Pro which changed my view to DJI..... "

1.) I am REALLY happy that Mavic is NOT an i(crap)Phone. iPhone: technology of two years ago that mostly does not work and leaves consumers "in the rain". iPhone does not work when it´s too cold (my Mavic flies perfectly at -10°C and a Canadian´s Mavic-owner ONLY problem at -20°C was that his crap iPhone stopped working), or when it´s too hot. iPhone has a lot of problems with screens and if Mavic would use two year old technology that thing wouldn´t even fly.

You are like Modern Polynanna with Your thoughts. I paid 1500 usd (taxation is very high in Turkey), ı have rights to complain. It is not fair to stay silenced after that kind of frustration. You need to make empathy.
2017-1-24
Use props
Jimbodos
lvl.1

United States

Ejder Bingül Posted at 2017-1-24 10:35
You are like Modern Polynanna with Your thoughts. I paid 1500 usd (taxation is very high in Turkey), ı have rights to complain. It is not fair to stay silenced after that kind of frustration. You need to make empathy.

I am sorry for your problems with your drone.  I have taken one flight and will stay in beginner mode for awhile.  Anyway good luck and hopefully the problem can be straightened out.   Maybe military cut off or blocked the signals for the gps temporarily.  Could happen.
2017-1-24
Use props
fars
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48455 ft
Malaysia

8 satellites connection is considered poor.
2017-5-4
Use props
kungpo474
New

Australia

You know Ejder, I brought the DJI mavi Pro fly more pack last Thursday.  It is a complete and utter heap of garbage. I'm so disappointed. The handset cannot connect to the drone. The crappy windows 10 utility for upgrading the firmware on the aircraft and handset doesn't work. I believe this product has been rushed to market without  major software issues having been solved in order to try beat the Gopro Karma drone.  So disappointed and angry with this Chinese company. Anyway I'm done with their crappy support and half assed product. I'm taking it back on Thursday night and demanding my money back all $2002.33 cents of it. After reading your post of the software going haywire in flight and crashing I'm only more determined to send it back.  I expected more.  When you pay that sort of money for equipment you would think it wasn't unreasonable to expect it to at least work out of  the box?  Apparently not.
2017-6-5
Use props
kungpo474
New

Australia

I believe the software for the Mavic Pro contains many bugs and has been rushed to market.  So disappointed. Can't wait to take mine back to get my money back from this crappy Chinese company.
2017-6-5
Use props
Y.m
New
Flight distance : 6470 ft
Israel

Anthony566 Posted at 2017-1-24 06:07
DJI will be able to look in detail at the flight logs ie the DAT file and provide feedback

Hey,
after 2 days that i didn't used the mavic, yesterday it did an update before flight, and then i did compass calibration and  , imu calibration and now it has a problam flying down !  :-(
When i push the stick down or when i press the land or return home, it's  flying down very very very slow.
1m for 3 sec.
All the oter flying direction working perfect.
( I've been trying changing propellers didnt fixed it.
Help please!
2017-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules