Limited Recording Time - 3 minutes?
5045 15 2017-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Taylor3535
New

United States

I've had my Mavic for approximately a month now and have had no issues. Recently however, my Mavic will not allow me to record over 3 minutes and 6 seconds in 2k with a 64gb card. When I put a  32gb in it allows me to record for approximately 1 minute and 30 seconds. 128gb card gives me approximately 6 minutes.

I have had no issues with these cards up to this point. I have formatted the cards via DJI Go 4 App as well as on my Mac. I have changed the recording settings from 1080 through 4k and the recording time stays consistantely low. The lowest recording time is obviously in 4K. I also did a factory reset on the Mavic Pro but that did not help either.

I recently updated my software but I can't pinpoint it to that being the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank YOU!!!

2017-1-23
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

First, I thought this might be related to a slow SD card which is not able to write the data fast enough so that the recording is stopped when all buffers have been filled up. But as this is happening with three different cards...
2017-1-23
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Hi.

Try and refresh your firmware.

Regards Leif.
2017-1-23
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Are the actual file sizes consistently the same size before the recording cuts off?  Just wondering if this is a FAT32 format and 4GB limit thing going on.  Or is there a file limit size toggle in the DJI GoApp that may need to be changed?  Just throwing out questions more than answering anything.
2017-1-23
Use props
Taylor3535
New

United States

Petroboy Posted at 2017-1-23 07:12
Are the actual file sizes consistently the same size before the recording cuts off?  Just wondering if this is a FAT32 format and 4GB limit thing going on.  Or is there a file limit size toggle in the DJI GoApp that may need to be changed?  Just throwing out questions more than answering anything.

I'm not sure. I will check once I get off work. I'm not familiar with the fat32 issue.

I recently updated my firmware...I guess I will attempt to downgrade to see if that helps the cause at all.
2017-1-23
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Canada

Taylor3535 Posted at 2017-1-23 07:33
I'm not sure. I will check once I get off work. I'm not familiar with the fat32 issue.

I recently updated my firmware...I guess I will attempt to downgrade to see if that helps the cause at all.

Check to see if the file sizes are all 4 GB in size.  There are two ways to format a hard drive or SD, FAT32 or NTFS.  You should format in NTFS when given the choice as FAT32 is an older formatting option and limits your file sizes to 4 GB.  This from a Google search:

FAT32 file size support tops out at 4GB and volume size tops out at 2TB. This means that you're limited to 2TB FAT32 partitions if you want to use a 4TB drive. It also means that you are limited to 4GB files. This is a concern with uncompressed high-definition movie files, where 30GB files are not unheard of.

This may not be the problem however, but worth checking.
2017-1-23
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

Petroboy Posted at 2017-1-23 07:12

Two reasons why this is highly unlikely:

1) Mavic records at 50 Mbps which is about 400MB per minute. You need to record a few minutes to hit file size boundaries.

2) The FAT limit should lead to the same recording times with all SD cards no matter how much capacity they have.
2017-1-23
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Dronoob Posted at 2017-1-23 07:48

1) Mavic records at 50 Mbps which is about 400MB per minute. You need to record a few minutes to hit file size boundaries.

Mavic records at 60MBit/s ..................
2017-1-23
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Canada

Dronoob Posted at 2017-1-23 07:48

As I said, just something to check.  But, as to your point #2, the OP stated that he was trying different resolution settings from 1080p to 4K, which would give different time periods to reach the 4 GB limit.
2017-1-23
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

I was having this exact problem.   Solved by going back to the memory card that came with it.   I assume I either had a fake SANDISK or my SANDISK wasn't fast enough.
2017-1-23
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, so many memory cards - especially from a well known auction site - are counterfeits, just be aware and always check the holograms etc. on the packaging before you lose precious content.
2017-1-23
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Hi again.

An SD card > 32 GB must be formatted as exFAT:  https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/capacity/index.html
And here is an formatting program for both Mac and Windows:  https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Regards Leif.
2017-1-23
Use props
kari5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3448 ft
Finland

Sounds like you using too slow SD card
2017-1-23
Use props
Taylor3535
New

United States

I'm going to go back to the original card and give that a shot.

Then, I'll follow up with the formatting advice. I'll post my results once completed.

Thank you for the help. It's greatly appreciated!
2017-1-23
Use props
Taylor3535
New

United States

Well, No luck.

I went back and attempted to use original card and it gave me 46 seconds of record time. I also formatted all cards into FAT32 and that did not work either....

Any other suggestions?
2017-1-24
Use props
Taylor3535
New

United States

Well guys, I figured it out.... and it's embarrassing.

It was the speed of the 64gb card that i previously used. When I took the 64gb to the field it showed approximately 3:04:30, meaning over 3 hours of recording time in 2.7K. However, when I began recording it filled the new card within 5 minutes. Making me think the timer was 3 minutes. It turns out that card was a fake or a POS, one or the other.

When I put the original 16gb card back in, it showed 00:46:00. I kept thinking that was 46 seconds.... So I decided to record the 46 seconds and see what the total data size would be afterwards. Well the 46 was actually 46 minutes.

Turns out I have a bunch of crappy cards.... they tricked me and made me think the hours number was actually the minutes. Until I decided to record with the new card....

Thanks for all the help from everyone, I apologize for the embarrassing mistake. Have a great day!
2017-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules