The wait is over!
673 3 2017-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Moleman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119419 ft
United Kingdom

My Mavic arrived yesterday - ordered on the 6th January. Curiously enough the order tracking page still hasn't updated though.

Fisrt thoughts:

1  - concern: when I opened the box botht he gimbal cover and clamp were  off and the gimbal was dislodged from its rear mounting. I had to follow  the instructions on a vid posted here to pop it back together.  Fortunately no harm done though and it all appears fine. I think DJi  should maybe investigate the way they are packed and shipped to ensure  that this doesn't happen (I have seen other reports of this.

2 - amazment: coming from a Phantom 2 this thing is a quantum leap forward.

Observations:

1  - firmware is at V01-03.0200 so no need to update. This does include  autofocus and you can see it happen when panning. Also supports 1080p at  50fps and above, I did a tiny bit of filming at 1080p 50fps and it  seemed OK to my uneducated eye.

2 - exposure. I really need to  work to understand this and some of the other camera settings. The  capabilities of this thing are incredible but you need to understand the  camera to get the best out of it. Yesterday was beautiful here with  hardly any wind and wonderful winter sun, but in the morning I under  exposed it and in the evening sunset shots over exposed - amybe I need  some filters....

3 - Stealth. compared to the P2 this thing is  almost silent! I did not get as much use out of my P2 was I would have  liked due to the bulk of transporting it around and the attention it  could attract even when in the air. The Mavic by comparision can hardly  be heard once it is 50m or so away.

Here are a couple of quick  panos I put together last night using Microsoft ICE. Nothing too special  as I say I need to work onthe exposure,and I've had to shrink them to  upload here - but these are already streets beyon anything I got using  my P2 and gopro. :-)

DJI_0015_stitch-sml.jpg
DJI_0020_stitch-sml.jpg
DJI_0025_stitch-sml.jpg
2017-1-24
Use props
Jit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 536768 ft
Singapore

A quick and easy way to check for over or underexposure is to turn on the histogram.. You'll want to monitor those peaks and make sure they're neither too far to the left, or to the right. A peak clipping into the left or right would mean that your shadows are clipping, or your highlights are being blown out, respectively. I especially rely on the histogram when it's sunny and glare may affect my perception of what I'm seeing on the screen.
2017-1-24
Use props
willhay555
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481755 ft
United Kingdom

First thoughts/concern.

My gimbal was damaged in transit.
2017-1-24
Use props
Moleman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119419 ft
United Kingdom

willhay555 Posted at 2017-1-24 03:15
First thoughts/concern.

My gimbal was damaged in transit.

Sorry to hear that. I really think they need to revisit the packaging as sent out from the factory, whilst the gimbal clamp seems to take a lot to remove - so many seem to just fall off during shipping.
2017-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules