RTH problems
2278 24 2017-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PracticallyGeeK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Good afternoon,

Today after updating my P3Standard to latest firmware and my DJI go app on android to latest version my RTH has been resetting itself and app shows my distance to be 4000 feet away. This happened when I pressed RTH amd selected current position but when I pressed on original home setting it did come back to me and landed about 10 foot away from me.

This is my second standard as first one kept showing compass errors, my first flight with my replacement didnt give me any compass errors just this RTH problem.

Read fair few posts about this and pilots think its the GO app as google maps location works but as a test if you go to the GO app without the drone connected and look at the location it will show you are actually not in the location you are.

Here are my logs
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/LZX2HS5OGBRSGIPF17E6/

2017-1-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes ... your flight data shows the jumping homepoint at 9:22 with the homepoint being "updated" to a point more than 4000 ft away.
What's interesting is that you didn't have a Max Distance limit set so this didn't cause the Phantom to try to fly back.
It shows that the jumping homepoint doesn't only happen with the Max Distance (but when it does, that causes a bigger problem).
Interestingly, there's no sign of you using RTH in the flight data.
Is this from the flight you described or another one?

2017-1-24
Use props
DaveH_au
lvl.2

Australia

Labroides, this is what I have been saying. It has nothing to do with max distance. The app has the wrong co-ordinates for the RC (You) and when RTH is selected it asks which position. If you select Current position,  in this case 4000' away, It will head to the new position.
If you select Old position it will return to the place you took off from.
Dave
2017-1-24
Use props
PracticallyGeeK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

This is the flight I described I think . .as I have a few logs . .I will try post all three logs today but that flight log posted might have been when I discovered the problem . .there was definitely a home point made as at the end I did it selecting original home point and the drone came back to me no problem
2017-1-24
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

DaveH_au Posted at 2017-1-24 06:05
Labroides, this is what I have been saying. It has nothing to do with max distance. The app has the wrong co-ordinates for the RC (You) and when RTH is selected it asks which position. If you select Current position,  in this case 4000' away, It will head to the new position.
If you select Old position it will return to the place you took off from.
Dave

Absolutely my opinion too !
2017-1-24
Use props
PracticallyGeeK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Here are all 3 logs

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/DVF4AONQ878U9E7HU3W8/

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/4TZ31N8PZ5TTZCSFL2G7/

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/YHKSVASDTSEHU0C4FP1W/
2017-1-24
Use props
PracticallyGeeK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Do we think this is the GO app or do I have another faulty drone?

No expert but seems like the app as its showing false GPS location but other map based apps are showing my location fine
2017-1-24
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

PracticallyGeeK Posted at 2017-1-24 06:51
Do we think this is the GO app or do I have another faulty drone?

No expert but seems like the app as its showing false GPS location but other map based apps are showing my location fine

There was another post I saw yesterday that the guy proved it was the app. Cannot remember for sure that he had a Standard right now but it was resetting the home point for him and it was the app. He installed an older version and the problem went away.
2017-1-24
Use props
fansf274e658
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53465 ft
United States

Everyone that has commented on the app on the google play store says its terrible and just getting progressively worse
Hearing people with Mavics and other more expensive models crashing is almost unbelieveable...  
2017-1-24
Use props
PracticallyGeeK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

It's a big problem DJI! People are spending £400 upwards on your drones and for the app to cause crashes and fly aways is unacceptable.

I love my standard regardless but its not the point really.
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Would you please sync your flight records through DJI GO APP firstly and provide us your APP account (e-mail address).
Then you can export flight data as the instructions, and upload it to dropbox, I'll transfer the data to our engineers for a further evaluation.
https://support.dronesmadeeasy.com/hc/en-us/articles/206171443
2017-1-25
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-25 02:47
Would you please sync your flight records through DJI GO APP firstly and provide us your APP account (e-mail address).
Then you can export flight data as the instructions, and upload it to dropbox, I'll transfer the data to our engineers for a further evaluation.
https://support.dronesmadeeasy.com/hc/en-us/articles/206171443

I am sorry Natalia, and I do not wish to sound rude; But you need to pull the 3.1.2 app from the play store while we wait for an answer from DJI "engineers". This is just unacceptable that you have all these posts with the same topic event and have failed to even take that simple action. Shame on DJI.
2017-1-25
Use props
PracticallyGeeK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

MerlinL14 exactly! Most people have uploaded logs including me, man even over at phantom pilots many have uninstalled the new version of GO and installed 3.1.1 which works. It shows pilots current position way off what it is.

See my thread on last page.
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/rth-and-distance-wrong.104141/page-2
2017-1-25
Use props
PracticallyGeeK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

See this thread also page 4,
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=81598&pid=663584&extra=&mobile=2&page=4
Nic T stating he downgraded to 3.1.1
Although I have seen this is a android problem as some have pointed out the iOS version is fine
2017-1-25
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I have a dedicated tablet for flying my P3 and (thankfully) set play store to not auto update installed apps, so I never got to experience 3.1.2, I am still on 3.1.1. I can only count myself lucky in that decision.
2017-1-25
Use props
PracticallyGeeK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Is it worth having a dedicated device for flying drones? I use my phone at the minute
2017-1-25
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
United Kingdom

PracticallyGeeK Posted at 2017-1-25 03:26
Is it worth having a dedicated device for flying drones? I use my phone at the minute

"Worth it" for me personally yes.
I don't believe there is a right or wrong. I had the budget to also get a tablet and the Inspire 1 tablet holder when I got my P3S, so that was a personal choice. I have to wear reading glasses which played a big part in 'needing' a larger screen than my phone could offer. I had done a lot of research on what quad to buy prior to getting the P3 so knew what was going to be the bottom line. Good job I didn't hold off until this new year or I wouldn't have touched the P3 with a long pole.
2017-1-25
Use props
PracticallyGeeK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

On a performance side of things does it make much difference in having just a device thats clear with nothing it on it expect the go app?
2017-1-25
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I can't answer that with any authority as I have only ever flown my P3 using this tablet and never with a phone. I don't suffer some issues like have been reported like data disconnections between phone and P3 wifi or blocky screen data, having to put phone into airplane made so phone calls don't cause an issue whilst flying. My tablet is a cheepy (£45) Alba 16Gb from Argos, nothing special.
2017-1-25
Use props
DaveH_au
lvl.2

Australia

PracticallyGeeK Posted at 2017-1-25 03:26

Hi, I started out with Iphone7 and one of my children got a 7" android tab for Christmas. So before he got to the playstore and put games all over it, we hooked it up and tried it out.  It worked great and it is not too big. 9 hour battery life so more than enough for me.
I was in trouble and had to hand it back.. Went out to local store sale on boxing day and picked one up the same for $80au. (~$60 US) Probably cheaper online.
All I have on it is Dji Go, The screen recorder app and file explorer to access sd cards.
Leave it in Airplane Mode and turn wifi on and there is no chance a text, phone call or email can stuff you around.
Regards
Dave
2017-1-25
Use props
PracticallyGeeK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Cheers for replies folks
2017-1-25
Use props
PracticallyGeeK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

The inspire 1 holder? Is that easy to fit? Might invest in a tablet
2017-1-25
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
United Kingdom

PracticallyGeeK Posted at 2017-1-25 06:48
The inspire 1 holder? Is that easy to fit? Might invest in a tablet

Search it from Amazon, then search the fitting of it on YouTube, there are tens of video's on how to do it. Be aware that fitting it will invalidate the warranty on your transmitter though.
2017-1-25
Use props
fansf274e658
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53465 ft
United States

Will DJI pull the update and revert back to the old for the users or is it our responsibility now?  
Just curious what to do and if they will take care of the mistakes.. I see back things have happened and they corrected i take it cause people dont talk about them anymore
2017-1-25
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
United Kingdom

There is no discernible issue with the new firmware update, the issue is the DJI Go app on Google Playstore which is ver 3.1.2.
2017-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules