Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 Newbie Question re: Video
946 9 2017-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans89bf907f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 765909 ft
United States

Hello folks.  Damn this hobby has taken me by surprise.  I'm a proud new owner of the inspire 2 and x5s.  I didn't get the raw package and now am thinking possibly I should have.  I'm an advanced photographer who shoots in raw, but I'm very concerned with trying raw video as it seems like it would be extremely time consuming (granted I realize you get the best video this way).  Question I have for you folks is, how much time does it generally take to edit a short clip taking advantage of the raw video vs processed?  Also if I chose to shoot in raw what is your opinion on choosing either or or both raw options?  I plan on using FCP to edit my footage, clearly iMovie isn't cutting it.  I understand I need to take into account a signifcant amount of money into more storage, SSDs etc.    Coming from a Yuneec Q500 & Mavic Pro, wow this thing is a bad boy!!  
2017-1-24
Use props
fans89bf907f
lvl.3
United States

ps in terms of being a photographer, it is only a hobby but have been shooting for 30 years.
2017-1-24
Use props
Puralist
lvl.2
United States

If you are using the latest FCP, it has native support for H.265, so you should be able to use those video files directly imported into FCP. I have a samsung NX1, so I have been working with H.265 video files for the last couple of years when there was no native support and the files need to be converted for any post production work. I shoot mostly in 4k and output at 1080p, sometimes in 4k if the file size isn't too large.

I'm getting the X4s with an I2 and will wait before upgrading to the X5s.
2017-1-24
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394291 ft
  • >>>
United States

Puralist Posted at 2017-1-24 12:43
If you are using the latest FCP, it has native support for H.265, so you should be able to use those video files directly imported into FCP. I have a samsung NX1, so I have been working with H.265 video files for the last couple of years when there was no native support and the files need to be converted for any post production work. I shoot mostly in 4k and output at 1080p, sometimes in 4k if the file size isn't too large.

I'm getting the X4s with an I2 and will wait before upgrading to the X5s.

Puralist,

I have been trying to import h265 into the latest  version of FCP 10.3.2 and it is not working?

if you can please explain to me how you were able to do so?

thank you
2017-1-24
Use props
NJ Flying Crazy
lvl.3
United States

nazar404.yahoo Posted at 2017-1-24 13:57
Puralist,

I have been trying to import h265 into the latest  version of FCP 10.3.2 and it is not working?

even though my thread was hijacked, I actually am interested in know about FCP and h265...latest version of FCP cannot ingest h265 files from my I2.
2017-1-26
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

nazar404.yahoo Posted at 2017-1-24 13:57
Puralist,

FCPX will not work with H.265. It will work with H.264 though. Actually, quality wise, there is little to no difference between the two and the X5S supports both.

Tom,
2017-1-26
Use props
Puralist
lvl.2
United States

Sorry Guys for the mislead, there is no support now for h.265, it was premier pro - I got them mixed up.

When I take video with my camera that records in h.265, I use wondershare video convertor ultimate if I am going to use FCPX. I also use Adobe PP depending on the circumstances, which does have native support for H.265 files. Normally, if the length of the recording is long, I will stay in PP to avoid the time consuming process of transcoding to ProRes for FCPX.

At first the transcoding wasn't that much of an issue, I would do my transcoding overnight. When I had more than one project in the same day or got behind on transcoding, it got very frustrating and that is when I started mixing up the use of FCPX and PP.

Most of my recordings are of sports, so the recordings average about an hours length per event. When transcoding h.265 with my 2013 MB pro to ProRes, it can take upto several hours. Add the slow download speeds of the I2 SSD, and a simple project may take more time than most people probably anticipate.
2017-1-26
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394291 ft
  • >>>
United States

Puralist Posted at 2017-1-26 08:20
Sorry Guys for the mislead, there is no support now for h.265, it was premier pro - I got them mixed up.

When I take video with my camera that records in h.265, I use wondershare video convertor ultimate if I am going to use FCPX. I also use Adobe PP depending on the circumstances, which does have native support for H.265 files. Normally, if the length of the recording is long, I will stay in PP to avoid the time consuming process of transcoding to ProRes for FCPX.

Thank you for the update....  maybe I wasn't doing something right!
2017-1-26
Use props
NJ Flying Crazy
lvl.3
United States

nazar404.yahoo Posted at 2017-1-26 11:45
Thank you for the update....  maybe I wasn't doing something right!

Thanks fellas, anyone tell me though should I go to raw or not LOL?
2017-1-26
Use props
Puralist
lvl.2
United States

NJ Flying Crazy Posted at 2017-1-26 13:27
Thanks fellas, anyone tell me though should I go to raw or not LOL?

Right now I am not satisfied with my knowledge of the X5S and will hold out with an X4s until I have all my concerns and questions answered.

I have worked with H265 for the last couple of years, love the file sizes but hate the workflow due to the lack of support for the codec. Also, I record H265 to SD cards, not a proprietary super expensive external drive that is slow as crap to transfer those files to your working drive. Bad enough how long it takes to transcode H265 files, to add hours for transferring from the SSD to your computer is too much for me at this point.
2017-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules