5492 24 2015-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Has anyone advice on a backpack that can be used to hike with the Inspire?
2015-2-18
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Yes, I'm interested in this as well.
2015-2-18
Use props
jaanus
lvl.2

I've seen pics of some people attaching/tying Inspire outside of backpack like in the pic below

2015-2-18
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

Thanks! That pack is a pretty big one! Brave guy to mount the bird with just two straps securing!
2015-2-18
Use props
tkn78.aol
lvl.1

United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2015-2-18 19:49
Thanks! That pack is a pretty big one! Brave guy to mount the bird with just two straps securing!

Yeah that nylon webbing might give way!  Yikes!  
2015-2-18
Use props
Renaat
lvl.3

Japan

for this purpose, I suggest http://hexoplus.com  coming soon
2015-2-18
Use props
jaanus
lvl.2

Renaat Posted at 2015-2-18 22:40
for this purpose, I suggest http://hexoplus.com  coming soon

Am I missing something here? Couldn't find any info on backpacks on this link
2015-2-18
Use props
Jiblabs
lvl.2

United States

i went and bought this Backpack from 511 tactical it has a compartment for a helmet that actually works pretty well for the inspire of course without the props and gimbal.

http://www.511tactical.com/realtree-xtra-rush-72-backpack.html
2015-2-18
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

The width of the Inspire is what makes it hard to find a fit.  I would suggest looking into tactical backpacks, such as Condor Tactical.  The 5-day pack I humped around Iraq seems to have been large enough to fit it.

If you find one with the correct dimensions, and are willing to spend a little time to make it perfect, you can order replacement foam for cases like pelican and Storm.  I have custom cut numerous rifle cases to fit my exact needs using this:

Precision Foam Cuttet

I'm not a big fan of the "pick and pluck" foam, but that could work as well.  

I'm sure there will be a flood of aftermarket backpack cases coming soon as there was for the Phantom, but if you can't wait you can always customize your own just how you want it.
2015-2-19
Use props
jessecarllane
lvl.1

United States

Personally, I wouldn't want to hike with the aircraft exposed for all kinds of reasons. For hiking with the Inspire, I went to REI Coop (Berkeley CA) and bought a large duffle bag for the aircraft. I put my remotes, batteries, tablets, props, etc in my main backpack, then strap the duffle to the backpack. That way the aircraft is protected (and incognito until I actually stop somewhere to fly).
2015-2-19
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

jessecarllane Posted at 2015-2-19 17:43
Personally, I wouldn't want to hike with the aircraft exposed for all kinds of reasons. For hiking w ...

Could you post a photo of that?  I am struggling to visualise it.
2015-2-19
Use props
jessecarllane
lvl.1

United States

msjh Posted at 2015-2-19 19:34
Could you post a photo of that?  I am struggling to visualise it.

I'd post a photo but this forum won't let me navigate to where photos are stored; forum wants me to hand-enter "the address".  
2015-2-20
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

jessecarllane Posted at 2015-2-21 09:36
I'd post a photo but this forum won't let me navigate to where photos are stored; forum wants me t ...

Could you email me a photo?  sean dot haffey on gmail
2015-2-21
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606237 ft
France

Hey Jesse, the best way I found to post pictures is to write a comment, any kind and then hit the button modify. Then it will let you select picture to upload.
Hope it help.
2015-2-21
Use props
kmedmd
lvl.1

United States

Here is my attempt:  Used two fleece/thin polyester balaclavas to cover the body of the bird. Then place in this Camel Back.  If I run into wet weather, will use additional plastic to cover the body. Everything else also fits in CB (props, RC unit, etc.). Straps in nicely.
Place backside of shell towards hikers back.  Place rear of body in first. Straps criss-cross under the gimbal mechanism, and lower straps extend out to stabilize the frame by looping over the rear "feet".  I use a twist-type strap (could use regular webbing) to attach the top of the pack to the zipper loop (over the nose of the body) to semi-close the pack from the top.  

Would be cool to have some sort of Neopreme cover for the body of this thing with Velco straps (instead of two stretchy balaclavas).  

FullSizeRender 22.jpg

FullSizeRender-12.jpg

2015-2-21
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

jaanus Posted at 2015-2-18 19:36
I've seen pics of some people attaching/tying Inspire outside of backpack like in the pic below

Really cool idea!!!!!!!!!!
Dollars to donuts we will see a back pack for the inspire on EBAY soon via China vendors.
2015-2-21
Use props
snathla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5045295 ft
  • >>>
United States

kmedmd@me.com Posted at 2015-2-22 04:01
Here is my attempt:  Used two fleece/thin polyester balaclavas to cover the body of the bird. Then p ...

What kind of backpack did you get, this is really cool, can you share the type and where to buy?
2015-2-21
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

kmedmd@me.com Posted at 2015-2-22 04:01
Here is my attempt:  Used two fleece/thin polyester balaclavas to cover the body of the bird. Then p ...

Cool! Nice use of a CamelBak hydration / minibnckpack!

I like the idea of the balaclavas for padding and protection. Do you leave the gimbal mechanism on? I've carried a Phantom 2 gimbal in a backpack for hours without any problems but with this camera, I wonder if the joints would get stressed out over time.

Can I ask why you put the craft top to the back of the hiker instead of the other way round (the way a previous photo shows)?

How heavy is the whole rig?
2015-2-21
Use props
ElliotTeskey
lvl.2

United States

I just bought a cheap frame pack that has a shelf on the bottom....made by Stansport for around $60.  I just strap on the whole box and go.  For me it would be a real pain to have to unload my gear and then restore everything in a bag type pack.  All my gear is still protected in the original box which is light weight.  I bought four plastic door stops that I use to level my box in the field to do a IMU calibration with the bird on the box.
The frame pack has enough room on top of the box to strap a duffle with more gear like clothes, lunch etc
Works for me.
2015-2-21
Use props
kmedmd
lvl.1

United States

snathla@gmail.c Posted at 2015-2-22 05:20
What kind of backpack did you get, this is really cool, can you share the type and where to buy?

I believe this is the Camel Back "Blowfish". I bought it two years ago at REI.
2015-2-21
Use props
kmedmd
lvl.1

United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2015-2-22 07:56
Cool! Nice use of a CamelBak hydration / minibnckpack!

I like the idea of the balaclavas for pa ...

I leave the gimbal mechanism on. The straps on the pack do not seem to rest heavily on the mechanism, but more on the edges of the body. There is a recess in the gimbal mechanism that keeps it out of the way for the most part.  You make a good point about the joints, I will be eyeballing them over time.

The reason I put the craft back towards my back is so that the gimbal mechanism has less pressure on it from the pressure of my back. Also I didn't want the optical sensor mechanism pressing on my back.

Haven't really weighed it, but I put the following in this pack:

Main compartment:  Craft and battery, camera (in protective box), one RC control unit (also wrapped in a balaclava). The RC unit and the camera rest on the bottom of the pack, where a recess is left by the suspension of the craft about mid-back (where zippers start).

Middle pocket:   iPad mini with connector.
Outer pocket:     Prop and prop locks (not shown in pic)
Water Bladder compartment: empty (but need to experiment with that, may even give more cushion with water in bladder).
Outside pockets empty, so room for snacks/phone, etc.

Keep in mind, this idea is bush-league.  Just trying it out...
2015-2-21
Use props
bvinisky
lvl.3

United States

kmedmd@me.com Posted at 2015-2-22 08:58
I leave the gimbal mechanism on. The straps on the pack do not seem to rest heavily on the mechani ...

Here are some pics of a similiar amateur setup I'm fiddling with using a Velox II Tactical pack I picked up off of Amazon:

IMG_0939.JPG

IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_0937.JPG
2015-2-25
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

You know, I did a similar thing with a friend of mine for camera gear. We used a wooden box that was slightly larger than the gear, wrapped the gear plastic, and poured some 2 part foam in the box until it was maybe a third full. We partly submerged the gear in it until it set and carefully striped the gear out of the plastic and foam. We repeated the process on the other side so the two halves would meet. There was some trimming and clean up required but the foam was tuff and light. Might be an idea? Then you could strap the foam to a frame pack. She would be pretty durable.
2015-2-26
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
New Zealand

Deuter Act Lite 50+10 - nice hiking pack

I've found a nice solution in the form of a Deuter ACT Lite 50+10 - see: Deuter pack link
This pack is light, has superb back support and it is well ventilated.

It's 1.73 kg and after experimenting a little, I found that the best solution is to stick the Inspire nose firs, sans gimbal, into the front pocket (a little more stable if you remove the battery but I carried a TB48 installed up 1200m vertical without problems. Close the top flap down on the Inspire (doesn't seem stable but it's fine once the top flap is secured. I carried it in leg-down mode (not travel mode).

The battery, gimbal box and RC can fit into the ample bottom compartment. I carried a spare battery, water bladder, some warm clothes and food along. Like the illustration earlier, its fine to have the props attached, there is enough space between the pack back and your back for the props not to poke you.

A P2 is much lighter but the Inspire travels quite well contrary to my concerns and it doesn't require a huge heavy pack either!

Dexter Act Lite

Dexter Act Lite
2015-3-6
Use props
Citfly
lvl.1
Flight distance : 857867 ft
United States

Jiblabs Posted at 2015-2-19 15:43
i went and bought this Backpack from 511 tactical it has a compartment for a helmet that actually wo ...

Do you have a photo? Curious if all 4 motors fit inside.
Thanks.
2015-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules