Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
ND Filter - Everything you need to know about it
12351 168 2017-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PHL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

UnlimiteDrone@g Posted at 2017-4-1 10:43
Exactly! It´s better to get normal ND Filter because there is no need for polarised Filter for a drone.

I suspect it does depend on your lighting conditions; Downunder, much like SoCal, due to the clear skies, the blue doesn't pop unless you use a polariser. Also thinking about Africa on the plains; would likely have the same problem. I can also see the benefit doing over-sea photography.
As an aside, I always wear polarised sunglasses here due to the glare without them.
2017-4-1
Use props
PHL
lvl.4
Australia

Exactly! It´s better to get normal ND Filter because there is no need for polarised Filter for a drone.

I suspect it does depend on your lighting conditions; Downunder, much like SoCal, due to the clear skies, the blue doesn't pop unless you use a polariser. Also thinking about Africa on the plains; would likely have the same problem. I can also see the benefit doing over-sea photography.
As an aside, I always wear polarised sunglasses here due to the glare without them.
2017-4-1
Use props
Blu Crystal
lvl.1

Germany

But some say there is a use for PL Filter
2017-4-2
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 146913 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Blu Crystal Posted at 2017-4-2 01:55
But some say there is a use for PL Filter

PHL wrote a nice explanation
2017-4-2
Use props
Blu Crystal
lvl.1

Germany

UnlimiteDrone@g Posted at 2017-4-2 04:09
PHL wrote a nice explanation

So PL Filter are just useful at flights above water?
2017-4-2
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Blu Crystal Posted at 2017-4-2 13:29

Not just but mostly
2017-4-2
Use props
PHL
lvl.4
Australia

Or when you get really clear skies; obviously the filter has to go in at different directions depending on what you need to do (see through water or dank the sky).
2017-4-2
Use props
Blu Crystal
lvl.1

Germany

PHL Posted at 2017-4-2 16:52
Or when you get really clear skies; obviously the filter has to go in at different directions depending on what you need to do (see through water or dank the sky).

Ahh I see, isnt it hard to edit footage with polarized filter?
2017-4-2
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Blu Crystal Posted at 2017-4-2 19:29
Ahh I see, isnt it hard to edit footage with polarized filter?

Editing is the same
2017-4-2
Use props
Blu Crystal
lvl.1

Germany

Okay cool, summer is coming and now im well prepared It will be awesome
2017-4-6
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

DroneSocks Posted at 2017-2-1 15:09
Why would you order something that has no reviews and isn't tested, just to save few bucks?

Someone has to buy it and review it right? if everyone thought like you no one would buy anything.... Take a minute and think about it...
2017-4-6
Use props
Blu Crystal
lvl.1

Germany

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-4-6 10:50
Someone has to buy it and review it right? if everyone thought like you no one would buy anything.... Take a minute and think about it...

That´s true... Somebody has to be the first
2017-4-7
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Blu Crystal Posted at 2017-4-7 11:52
That´s true... Somebody has to be the first

Not me !
2017-4-8
Use props
Blu Crystal
lvl.1

Germany

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-3-31 11:46
Here is one I made a while ago for the P4 using PolarPro filters.

PolarPro just sent me their whole collection and I will be doing a video on using them.

Awesome video!
2017-4-14
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

Cheers bud.

I will have another few on the Polar Pro Cinema Series Vivid for the Mavic as soon as I get my Mavic which will be any day now.

Thanks for the kudos. I will not say it's not nice to hear.

Take care.

Adam
2017-4-14
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

****EDIT: Sorry my ADHD was kicking hard here. I made a TLDR vesion at the bottom for those that don't want to read all this.

If you watch my video.

At the part where it turns away from the sun, check out the reflections and how they play off the reflective mirror like windows from the cliff.

Instead of posting the whole how to video this time, I am just going to post the "sizzle" part of it.

Now, this isn't THE REASON I used the PL (which I always use), it not only removes ultra reflections but it also makes the saturation pop and at the risk of being photo-cliche, just like a good pair of sun glasses. The only glass I trust, AND I PROMISE, i in know way work for the company is Polar Pro. I have tried several and TBH, the only one that comes close are the straight ND DJI filters but for ND/PL which is almost a constant for me regardless of where I am unless I am shooting straight down (and if you watch the first video I posted, there is a color corrected shot with the camera pointing straight down cut in half by a rock bar. Notice the difference between the upper and lower part of the bar.  That is the difference in the PL.  It's very obvious. I don't say it in the video because I am trying to keep my eye on the ball and I'm talking about IRISs at that part).

Speaking of keeping my eye on the ball, here the video I'm talking about where the PL can have unintended benefits.

On the turn around at :07 you will see a very obvious house with large windows (you can see it on other windows but especially on this) and watch how the PL plays off the reflection. It is VERY cool IMO and in some other videos i have even cooler as I was playing around.

Notice that you get that alien like reflection that looks real but also looks pro and just different.  Can't really explain it better than that.  I know that's a terrible description but just watch.

You can SEE the changing of the reflection as the different parts of the PL make their way to the window. In the parlance of photography IF I WAS SHOOING FOR that house, I would have adjusted the PL to a point where the reflection happened as much and how I wanted it do. It wouldn't go all over the place like it does here.

That said, I think it looks amazing the way it does that.

So this is the sizzle part at the end of my Polar Pro review. I like to shoot dark so I was either using a PL8 or PL16 as I was shooting for the Sunset but got some amazing shots by lucky of the coast on the turn around, hence they are in the video but watch that house with the obvious reflection.  The way that is happening is because of the polarizer.

Polarize effects reflections, simple as that.  So if you will be shooing something that can or will reflect, a PL will effect it.  ND is just the only way we have to step up or down the light coming into the IRIS because we are using a fixed aperture (locked, no f-stop changes unless you are using an Inspire with appropriate lens).  

I believe we are locked at 2.8 which  is in general the average for infinite views at almost all light temps with some minor tweaks to shutter speed (how fast shutter opens and closes [eg. 50 means 1/50 or it opens  for 1/50th of a second) vs ISO (the amount of light coming into your camera).  You ideally want your ISO as low as you can because ISO invites noise so you try to keep it low and since we can't control our temperature size (HOW MUCH IT OPENS) we must feign stops by changing the time of day essentially through the use of filters.  I like it to look dark so on this one I am using a Polar Pro ND16 at late dusk and look at the effect it has on the windows. (mind you this is with ZERO color correction).

****TLDR VERSION

Here is an example (the houses) of when you would see a cool effect using the ND/PL and not just water.  I am using a CS Polar Pro 8 or 16/PL (I believe 16).  Check out the winows on the curve of the house with the big windows at 0:07.

So an example of when PLs are not "Just for the water".

2017-4-14
Use props
Blu Crystal
lvl.1

Germany

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-4-14 09:22
****EDIT: Sorry my ADHD was kicking hard here. I made a TLDR vesion at the bottom for those that don't want to read all this.

If you watch my video.

Wow, just wow
2017-4-22
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

If you watch my video.

Great example and very well explained ... a lot of pilots saying PL filter are nonsense should see this
2017-4-23
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

If you watch my video.

Any more of that cool example videos?
2017-4-28
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

UnlimiteDrone@g Posted at 2017-4-28 16:41
Any more of that cool example videos?

I have been messing around a lot lately in the freestyle/DIY community and haven't been keep up on my YT vlog but I have a lot of videos that I've been editing that I will be releasing to my channel soon.

Thanks so much for the kudos.  Won't lie.  Always nice to hear.

Thanks.

Fly safe and have fun!
2017-5-3
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-5-3 17:44
I have been messing around a lot lately in the freestyle/DIY community and haven't been keep up on my YT vlog but I have a lot of videos that I've been editing that I will be releasing to my channel soon.

Thanks so much for the kudos.  Won't lie.  Always nice to hear.

Cool, will watch them for sure
2017-5-6
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

UnlimiteDrone@g Posted at 2017-5-6 04:25
Cool, will watch them for sure

Cheers brother.

What is "Ultimate Drone"?

I dig the logo/avatar you've made (I'm assuming you've made).
2017-5-7
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

Looks great, Sending in my Mavic in for a warranty claim but will defiantly get the ND filters, would be nice to use a lower shutter speed
2017-5-7
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Bradders Posted at 2017-5-7 10:45
Looks great, Sending in my Mavic in for a warranty claim but will defiantly get the ND filters, would be nice to use a lower shutter speed

What happened?
2017-5-8
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I had a fly away, It cut out mid flight about 100ft away from me and I was unable to retrieve it at the time due to thick mud, I only recovered it last weekend and noticed that the gimble over heats, it is so so hot to the touch that you cannot hold your finger on it for a couple of seconds, and when the gimble is hot then it does not connect to the controller
2017-5-9
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Bradders Posted at 2017-5-9 00:08
I had a fly away, It cut out mid flight about 100ft away from me and I was unable to retrieve it at the time due to thick mud, I only recovered it last weekend and noticed that the gimble over heats, it is so so hot to the touch that you cannot hold your finger on it for a couple of seconds, and when the gimble is hot then it does not connect to the controller

Did you contact DJI?
2017-5-19
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bought several filters recently. UV PL and a couple of ND ones. Does help. Not had chance to truly experiment yet mind.
Good little article though. Found myself leaving the ND8 on most so far. UK weather is never usually that sunny!
2017-5-19
Use props
Blu Crystal
lvl.1

Germany

ShadyDealer Posted at 2017-5-19 15:45
Bought several filters recently. UV PL and a couple of ND ones. Does help. Not had chance to truly experiment yet mind.
Good little article though. Found myself leaving the ND8 on most so far. UK weather is never usually that sunny!

Haha yeah guess you will not need 32 and more in the UK
2017-5-20
Use props
noipego
lvl.3
Greece

i really dont understand why dji has not released ND32 filter yet while they know that we can only control exposure with filters if we want to get kinda decent quality. (as we have to keep shutter between 50-60 and ISO 100)
2017-5-29
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

noipego Posted at 2017-5-29 01:46
i really dont understand why dji has not released ND32 filter yet while they know that we can only control exposure with filters if we want to get kinda decent quality. (as we have to keep shutter between 50-60 and ISO 100)

Really weird since I also use the ND32 a lot... What is your most used filter?
2017-5-30
Use props
noipego
lvl.3
Greece

UnlimiteDrone@g Posted at 2017-5-30 14:04
Really weird since I also use the ND32 a lot... What is your most used filter?

i got the dji filters so i can use only up to ND16...it is not enough tho in sunny days so i have to push shutter speed at 100-120 which is not good :/
2017-5-31
Use props
floco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1060853 ft
France

Not convinced by ND filters. I flew EXACTLY the same path with and without an ND 16 filter (obvisouly correcting exposure) and I am unable to see ANY difference between both footages.
2017-5-31
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

floco Posted at 2017-5-31 03:39
Not convinced by ND filters. I flew EXACTLY the same path with and without an ND 16 filter (obvisouly correcting exposure) and I am unable to see ANY difference between both footages.

It's used to smooth motion, shutter is open longer so there will be a blur added to parts with motion. But I agree with you, don't use it if it's not needed. Main use is when really bright outside or snow shots. Use a uv instead if you can get away with it. 120-200 shutter isn't bad doesn't have to be 60, the mavic sensor really likes more light otherwise potato trees. At least that's my experience.
2017-5-31
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Found I've been using a ND4 filter recently. Sun has been shined no (for once) in the UK and its been great. Found I prefer the pics against ones taken with the ND8 Will continue to experiment and gain experience.
2017-5-31
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the vivid collection of 3 PL ones from Polar Pro. Living in subtropical Queensland it's nearly always very bright and sunny and I fly mostly over water so thinking the ND16PL will be my go to for most flights. Heading out this weekend and hopefully they will arrive tomorrow! Very limited choice down under as most are from overseas and freight is more than the filters... Found a local seller of the vivid series at AUS$110 for the 3 plus a $15 discount so $95 delivered. Early birthday present for me
2017-5-31
Use props
floco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1060853 ft
France

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-31 10:48
It's used to smooth motion, shutter is open longer so there will be a blur added to parts with motion. But I agree with you, don't use it if it's not needed. Main use is when really bright outside or snow shots. Use a uv instead if you can get away with it. 120-200 shutter isn't bad doesn't have to be 60, the mavic sensor really likes more light otherwise potato trees. At least that's my experience.

Hi,
I'm not talking shutter of 120 vs 60 but rather 1/1000s vs 1/60s. Even with that I do not see any difference in the "motion blur" on my videos. I really think ND are overrated. Now perhaps they help in avoiding seeing the propeller shadow?
2017-6-1
Use props
Blu Crystal
lvl.1

Germany

Im happy with my Polarpro filter, dont think they are overrated
2017-6-3
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Blu Crystal Posted at 2017-6-3 17:57
Im happy with my Polarpro filter, dont think they are overrated

Me neither, imo it´s better to spend a few bucks more than buying low quality.
2017-7-23
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Small update, found this nice image which is very helpful imo
23231203_10155846988148501_9020028760995928621_n.jpg
2017-11-2
Use props
DJ Enertia