Afraid to Update Firmware
1331 10 2017-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oldjohn54
lvl.1

United States

I am not computer savvy and after reading the failure stories about firmware updates, I am afraid to fix something that doesn't seem to be broker.  What happens if I never do a firmware update?  
2017-1-25
Use props
Gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Don't let all the "static" spook you.  I can't tell you the number of posts I've read where the user didn't read / understand the instructions and simply turned off the aircraft before the update was finished.  There are plenty of DJI and YouTube videos you can watch that will walk you through the process.

You can choose not to do the updates and likely nothing bad will happen.  The advantage is corrections, updates and added features that were not previously available.  A middle ground approach may simply be to wait a while after each update and check the forum to see if any of the perceptions of problems would apply to your system.
2017-1-25
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Depending on how old your Phantom, is, there might be a bug-fix you could take advantage of. But, for the most part if the bird flies ok and it does what you want, leave it alone. You will be reminded that a "Firmware Upgrade" is available, but you can ignore that if you chose. There are many discussions about  this subject. I for one, like to always be up to date at least with the firmware. I have tried to do the same with the app, but I have reverted back to 2.9.1 because I didn't like the maps, and a couple other things that changed. But I do have the latest firmware. It is your choice. Many are just like you, and choose to leave it alone. There is nothing wrong with that either.
2017-1-25
Use props
oldjohn54
lvl.1

United States

I have watched both the DJI and a couple of YouTube videos on the process and it does seem straight forward.  Thank you so much for the information.

One more question about the updates.  If you do not do a firmware update before the NEXT firmware update comes out, can you simply go to the latest and greatest update without updating with the one you skipped?
2017-1-25
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

oldjohn54 Posted at 2017-1-25 04:55
I have watched both the DJI and a couple of YouTube videos on the process and it does seem straight forward.  Thank you so much for the information.

One more question about the updates.  If you do not do a firmware update before the NEXT firmware update comes out, can you simply go to the latest and greatest update without updating with the one you skipped?

I think as long as you are V1.5 or V1.6 or newer, you can jump right to the latest. Currently we are on V1.10.90 for the Phantom. I believe if you were earlier than that you might have to bump up one at a time until you get to the newer versions.
2017-1-25
Use props
tomfrmnh9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12464 ft
United States

In the same "boat". Bought a used P3P and had 1.5.30 and upgraded to 1.8.? Seems to be okay but still says "update require." Lots of "voodoo" stories on here and other boards about FW upgrades. 1.8.? seems to fly okay to me.
2017-1-27
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Be advised, there's a known issue with the newest firmware update if you use Android.  Seems to affect P3Ss mostly but also P3A/Ps some.  Home points are being reset in inconvenient locations such as the middle of rivers, etc., and Phantoms are RTHing and landing in those rivers.  It's been a known bug for about a week now.  No fix yet.  

Here's just one example:  http://forum.dji.com/thread-81598-1-3.html

2017-1-28
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

It's not the firmware update that is having issues with the Androids, but rather the latest GO app version 3.1.2 that has a serious problem.   It doesn't read the mobile device location correctly but rather has you situated 1 -2 miles WNW from your actual position.   If your home position ends up being set to your recorded mobile position or you have max distance set, the drone could end up flying over to the incorrect home position.   Download and install 3.1.1 earlier APK until DJI gets this fixed.  I suspect DJI won't be dealing with this for another week due to Chinese New Year.
2017-1-28
Use props
bestpancakes77
New

United States

neighbor has a phantom p3. this creates drone envy. i go ahead and get one as well and  firmware update failed . DJI tech determines a hardware defect. i have no patience , so i return it to the big box store to acquire another. i go to update the firmware and AGAIN! firmware update fail.  i was precise and accurate with the procedure. im not sure what i could have done wrong? Any way, back to DJI support. I hope to get through on monday.
2017-1-28
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

Im with you...If phantom is flying good...no need to update!. Dont forget if you go to V1.10.90 the latest update for Phantom and you have problems...you CANNOT roll roll back to previous version.
2017-1-28
Use props
M J PICARD
lvl.1

Spain

Very sorry I updated my P3A firmware with an HTC One / Android... had a 'motor obstruction' warning.

Of course I did the update after I left for a three month vacation in the Canary Islands, Spain.

Been in paradise for three months with a dead bird... don't do the update.
2017-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules