Evening Standard (UK) - near misses with drones at London airports
839 3 2017-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53340 ft
United Kingdom

This evening's London Evening Standard had the front page (with a DJI Inspire stock photo) dedicated to... 'drones' causing near misses out of London's airports in the past year. Part of me is a little skeptical, and just wondered what others thought about the story and 'facts' here. If you hover (!) your mouse over the red and amber dots on the map it will give a summary of the incident. I find it incredible that a few of them are happening at circa 12,000ft. All in all though, not helping the cause..
2017-1-25
Use props
Highasakite
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

Hi DaveDotNet, it sounds like YOU need to get out there and scour the skies and hunt these operators down! (Just kidding) The best thing YOU could do is positive, quality public relations. Every time you are out flying  , try to shed some light on the hobby to ordinary citizens or passers by.  Invite them over to have a look, show them what you see on your ipad or phone. Let them know that YOU know the rules and YOU, follow them. But unfortunately others do not follow them, which is why you should always put your best foot forward when operating in public. Wreckless people fly too high, wreckless people. also drive their cars too fast. Quality, positive public relations is the key! (In my opinion) Safety first. Ken.     
2017-1-25
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Highasakite Posted at 2017-1-25 13:26
Hi DaveDotNet, it sounds like YOU need to get out there and scour the skies and hunt these operators down! (Just kidding) The best thing YOU could do is positive, quality public relations. Every time you are out flying  , try to shed some light on the hobby to ordinary citizens or passers by.  Invite them over to have a look, show them what you see on your ipad or phone. Let them know that YOU know the rules and YOU, follow them. But unfortunately others do not follow them, which is why you should always put your best foot forward when operating in public. Wreckless people fly too high, wreckless people. also drive their cars too fast. Quality, positive public relations is the key! (In my opinion) Safety first. Ken.

I agree.

This said, there is a very real possibility that unless we are proactive about being responsible and take to task people we know meet who fly irresponsibly, the 'hobby' will be shut down world wide by haters.

Its a populist world now and non-drone flyers outnumber flyers by three orders of magnitude at least.
2017-1-25
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

I agree I was out on a mission at a park nearby. I spent a good 30 minutes showing the videos i had taken at the park and all really interested. I even managed to get them to move away from me so i could fly the drone so they could see it lift and the landing gear lift and drop when i landed. (I was very careful about them being in a safe place ) All totally impressed  until i mentioned the price... here in china an Inspire 2 with X4S is one years salary for the average person.  
2017-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules