Prop blade kink/bent?
1008 10 2017-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ely324
lvl.3
Flight distance : 904888 ft
United States

My Phantom 4 Pro has been having this weird drift to the right, which is most noticeable when the aircraft is pitched forward and rolled to the right and then going back to just a forward pitch. It feels like the drone wants to stay moving to the right as if it was rolled to the right still.

After inspecting the props, this is what I found. I'm guessing this would be the reason for this?

bent blade

bent blade

2017-1-25
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Possibly.  Just replace them and that should help.  Props are not that expensive.
2017-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You could let that bent prop sit in very hot water a couple of minutes and then carefully reform its original shape. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I would recommend replacing the props. If you really want to salvage it, you can try RedHotPoker's approach, but you would want to be mindful if they bend again. Did you have any hard landings?
2017-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-25 21:56
I would recommend replacing the props. If you really want to salvage it, you can try RedHotPoker's approach, but you would want to be mindful if the bend again. Did you have any hard landings?

Using a heat gun, gently, might be a good method as well. Just be careful not to burn the blade or your fingers. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-25
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-25 21:56
I would recommend replacing the props. If you really want to salvage it, you can try RedHotPoker's approach, but you would want to be mindful if the bend again. Did you have any hard landings?

Aloha Jamie,

Storing them under pressure can easily cause them to bend.  Even the RC sticks in a traveling case.  You have to be sure the sticks are screwed all the way down so they so not touch the sides.  Otherwise you will have to do a RC calibration.

You really have to be careful when packing and storing these parts.  Light pressure over time creates problems with warping.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-1-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-1-26 01:05
Aloha Jamie,

Storing them under pressure can easily cause them to bend.  Even the RC sticks in a traveling case.  You have to be sure the sticks are screwed all the way down so they so not touch the sides.  Otherwise you will have to do a RC calibration.

After Reading this, I I might have to take a few sets of new unused props out of my Nanuk 945 case, and store them on my RC workbench. ;-)

Not looking for any trouble...

RedHotPoker

2017-1-26
Use props
Ely324
lvl.3
Flight distance : 904888 ft
United States

I decided to just swap it out with a new one. No point in taking a chance of crashing mid flight due to a damaged prop. I was mainly wondering how the prop got bent, as someone mentioned earlier it was probably due to pressure on the blade in the storage case. I'll have to be more careful when storing them in the case.
2017-1-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-25 22:07
Using a heat gun, gently, might be a good method as well. Just be careful not to burn the blade or your fingers. ;-)

The latter would be more important.
2017-1-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Ely324 Posted at 2017-1-26 09:12
I decided to just swap it out with a new one. No point in taking a chance of crashing mid flight due to a damaged prop. I was mainly wondering how the prop got bent, as someone mentioned earlier it was probably due to pressure on the blade in the storage case. I'll have to be more careful when storing them in the case.

Good to hear.
2017-1-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-26 10:38
The latter would be more important.

Yes, please be careful. It would be a shame to read about an accident, that could have been prevented...

RedHotPoker
2017-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules