What are you using to grade mavic footages ?
4380 20 2017-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
networth
Second Officer
Flight distance : 661627 ft
  • >>>
India

Hi, I have tried shooting at DLOG and CINESTYLE both, and when I apply my LUTs directly, I almost loose all details.

Can some professional shed some light, what workflow he is using ?

Like shoot at dLog, then applying which LUT for LOG to REC709 and then the other LUTs , which doesnt make the footage look bad ?
2017-1-26
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I give it a B minus.
2017-1-26
Use props
D.Walls
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4908 ft
Spain

The Mavic camera compresses video too much (60Mbps in 4k and 45Mbps in 2.7k). Shooting at D-Log and trying to reset the levels with LUTs gives you compression artifacts and banding.

My advice is that you shouldn't shoot at negative sharpness as this makes the image mushy. Also, don't pull the contrast and saturation all the way down because it makes it difficult to correct it in post and creates artifacts.
2017-1-26
Use props
networth
Second Officer
  • >>>
India

Whats B minus ?
2017-1-29
Use props
networth
Second Officer
  • >>>
India

D.Walls Posted at 2017-1-26 04:46
The Mavic camera compresses video too much (60Mbps in 4k and 45Mbps in 2.7k). Shooting at D-Log and trying to reset the levels with LUTs gives you compression artifacts and banding.

My advice is that you shouldn't shoot at negative sharpness as this makes the image mushy. Also, don't pull the contrast and saturation all the way down because it makes it difficult to correct it in post and creates artifacts.

I saw few Mavic Youtube videos and the gentleman said, best is
CINELIKE ,
and all 3 variables turned to -1.

Thats the best sweet spot, he said
Even on forum, many people says the same.

So, thats the best sweet spot ?
2017-1-29
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

That's funny!
2017-1-29
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am a school teacher....
2017-1-30
Use props
networth
Second Officer
  • >>>
India

Guys, jokes apart, can we discuss ?
2017-1-31
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

If you're filming in those styles your probably going to want to color grade them before adding your LUT. Once you've brought out detail and color again in post then add your LUT and keep playing with the color until you have a desired look. I use adobe Premiere pro with some purchased LUT packs and I get some really great results. I haven't started using DLOG for regular filming. I know many professionals claim that this is the best way to film for a "pro look" however, it is way more challenging to get a desired look. I almost always get better results if I don't use a color mode just have it set to "none" I'm going to keep filming this way until I get better at Grading because the results just look more professional in my experience. Hope this helps good luck!  
2017-1-31
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

I prefer 'none' also: as less compression as possible. Editing in Final Cut Pro X gives me the right color grading and I'll add some LUT if necessary.
2017-1-31
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Flight distance : 155961 ft
Canada

I record in "Art" -1 -2 -2 and grade in DaVinci Resolve (don't use a LUT). Very satisfied with the result.
2017-1-31
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Found shooting 0 and sharpening in post isn't bad. I don't shoot dlog, just didn't have anything good come of it, no matter what. I'd like to see good footage of someone who does use dlog and what they do. I'm not a pro, just someone trying to get the best footage so when I do travel, can get the best shots for editing later. If dlog is best, I'd like to know too. Using premiere here too.

I wouldn't consider myself bad by any means. Like I've seen bad on this forum! Just dlog seems like such a pain to get looking right.
2017-1-31
Use props
keith55
lvl.2
Spain

Frits48 Posted at 2017-1-31 09:34
I record in "Art" -1 -2 -2 and grade in DaVinci Resolve (don't use a LUT). Very satisfied with the result.

What did you use to restore Art? I've seen a few workarounds suggested. I'm wondering which is the best.
2017-1-31
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Flight distance : 155961 ft
Canada

keith55 Posted at 2017-1-31 12:04
What did you use to restore Art? I've seen a few workarounds suggested. I'm wondering which is the best.

Here goes:
- I use the DJI GO 4 app to fly (with my iPhone 6)
- Download the old DJI GO app (also available in the app store)
- Power up the Mavic with the DJI GO app. You will see that "art" is available in there. I set it at -1 -2 -2
- Power down everything
- Then, when you launch your set-up with the DJI GO 4 app again, it will have art selected! It certainly is "art" in all its beautiful flexibility, not some sort of a glitch.

Enjoy!

2017-1-31
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Anyone have videos to show examples?
2017-1-31
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-1-31 12:41
Anyone have videos to show examples?

Posted how I do it myself here.. http://forum.dji.com/thread-81483-1-1.html
2017-1-31
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-1-31 13:13
Posted how I do it myself here.. http://forum.dji.com/thread-81483-1-1.html

Nice Thanks
2017-1-31
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Yeah I don't think the pros want to share. They never do. And the guides are always half ass on dlog grading. Some of them like that bloom guy- he's horrible imo lol

I wish people would post footage settings sometimes, but just trial and error looks like the best way to go about it. After effects and 3d max you can make movie quality cgi. That can understand you want to keep your work, your work. But keeping a few settings you use in premiere lol Really sad stuff, it's not like these pros can even write a program with thousands of lines of code. They are pushing sliders. I'll post whatever I find in these forums.
2017-1-31
Use props
networth
Second Officer
  • >>>
India

keith55 Posted at 2017-1-31 12:04

How much do you normally sharpen the mavic footages ?
Mine is set to ART profile and -1 -1 -1 for all 3 variables.

Or shall I make it -2 for all 3 variables ?

Do you normally do 2.5 sharpen in post or less than that in FCPX ?
2017-2-9
Use props
networth
Second Officer
  • >>>
India

NavigatorNL Posted at 2017-1-31 07:34
I prefer 'none' also: as less compression as possible. Editing in Final Cut Pro X gives me the right color grading and I'll add some LUT if necessary.

How much do you normally sharpen the mavic footages ? Mine is set to ART profile and -1 -1 -1 for all 3 variables.Do you normally do 2.5 sharpen in post or less than that in FCPX ?
2017-2-9
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Depends on the footage and the way I want to use it. Mostly I use a sharpen/unsharpen effect (mask). Never above 30% level). Hope this helps.
2017-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules