Really aggravated with startup
1845 26 2017-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skydiverjim
lvl.1

United States

I'm really aggravated right now. For more than a month I have been trying to get my Phanton 3 Standard to start and it just sits there blinking. I went through all the steps. Downloaded the latest software as it indicated I should, charged the batteries to full capacity and even wrote to the company, with no response at all except for an autogenerated email telling me they are working on the problem. I have watched other videos on YouTube which said DJI tech support after you puchase their drones are pretty much nonexistant. I wish I would have known about this before I spent all this money on a useless drone for which I can't even get the motors to start. If this is any indication how Chinese technology works, I don't think the US or Russian military has a thing to worry about. I can't express how angry I am at this moment!!!!!

2017-1-26
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

Mmmh, maybe the nickname was a bit to ambitious ;-) . But good point with the chinese....
I am a total beginner myself so maybe not very helpful. But for the advanced here in the forum it would be better to offer some facts like whatt is my equimpment, software, etc. what have i done so far in logical order, what can i see on my screen etc.
I am sure then you will find some to help you.
2017-1-26
Use props
Gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Uhhh... you've been trying for a month and you're just now posting to the forum?  Might have been able to save yourself some aggravation if you'd mentioned it earlier, lots of other people here with P3S experience to draw from.  How about you start with the blink code you're getting?

P3S - Blink codes.png
2017-1-26
Use props
Skydiverjim
lvl.1

United States

Gil Posted at 2017-1-26 09:02
Uhhh... you've been trying for a month and you're just now posting to the forum?  Might have been able to save yourself some aggravation if you'd mentioned it earlier, lots of other people here with P3S experience to draw from.  How about you start with the blink code you're getting?

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback.

Yes, I've only posted as a last resort before I return it. I've gone through more than a dozen YouTube videos, wrote to technical support and contacted other friends who had drones.

The problem is that the controller does not communicate with the aircraft. I know that much but HOW to correct the problem is where the frustration comes in.  I am now thinking it may be a faulty controller. I just hate to return something without making every possible effort to get it to work.  I am not technically challenged as I have been working with remote control systems and computers for over 20 years. I do not think this would be a routine problem or the company would be out of business by now.  My hope with posting is that someone may have had the same problem and found out is was a software problem or something of the sort (although I have already gone down that path too)
2017-1-27
Use props
Skydiverjim
lvl.1

United States

formentera Posted at 2017-1-26 08:58
Mmmh, maybe the nickname was a bit to ambitious ;-) . But good point with the chinese....
I am a total beginner myself so maybe not very helpful. But for the advanced here in the forum it would be better to offer some facts like whatt is my equimpment, software, etc. what have i done so far in logical order, what can i see on my screen etc.
I am sure then you will find some to help you.

Thanks,  I appreciate the encouragement. (The nickname comes from being a paratrooper, if I pick a name like Jim or add a number to it a lot of the time it comes back as taken so I've just adapted this nickname for everything, it's easy  for me to remember and it isn't very common)
2017-1-27
Use props
Bilzc10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 351575 ft
United States

Skydiverjim Posted at 2017-1-27 12:17
Thanks,  I appreciate the encouragement. (The nickname comes from being a paratrooper, if I pick a name like Jim or add a number to it a lot of the time it comes back as taken so I've just adapted this nickname for everything, it's easy  for me to remember and it isn't very common)

you said it was the controller not pairing with the ac, i assumed you tried pairing, right?
2017-1-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Skydiverjim Posted at 2017-1-27 12:17

Have you sorted it out yet,
Have you tried the linking procedure from the manual the above post mentioned? And thanks to the member for posting.
You never said anything about trying to re-link or resetting the WiFi.
Here's the instructions on resetting the WiFi if the linking doesn't work.
Capture.JPG
2017-1-27
Use props
Skydiverjim
lvl.1

United States

Bilzc10 Posted at 2017-1-27 12:35
you said it was the controller not pairing with the ac, i assumed you tried pairing, right?[view_image]

Your email just showed me something that I skipped over and it may be the key! The point about flipping the toggle switch back and forth, I did not do that. That could make all the difference. I'll try it and then get back to this post with the results - thank you very much!
2017-1-27
Use props
Skydiverjim
lvl.1

United States

Skydiverjim Posted at 2017-1-27 15:51
Your email just showed me something that I skipped over and it may be the key! The point about flipping the toggle switch back and forth, I did not do that. That could make all the difference. I'll try it and then get back to this post with the results - thank you very much!

I want to thank everyone for their help.  There was a linking problem. I tried this last suggestion and it also did not work, however it got me thinking again about the quality of the downloaded app so what I ended up doing was uninstalling the app on my android and reinstalling it through my computer system. That seemed to do the trick.

Again thank you everyone for your support. It is greatly appreciated.
2017-1-28
Use props
fans34713260
New

France

Hello i am Philippe from France. in my case this is only ONE ( 1 ) day that i received my Phamtom 3 standard and all is totaly blocked now. i watched all night a lot of videos and commentts and forum but dd not found solution : when a wanted to upgraed firmware to last version, after recoonecting aircraft it appeard a NON STOP bip bip sound that cannot stop. i am just looking to RESET all and reload last version but no way. i downloded the last version on line but the app does not succeed to transfer it to the aircraft despiite maybe 20 trials. i also cannot find the micro sd card expect the video card. any body to help a poor peacefull Frenchman l?
2017-1-29
Use props
fans34713260
New

France

fans34713260 Posted at 2017-1-29 07:53
Hello i am Philippe from France. in my case this is only ONE ( 1 ) day that i received my Phamtom 3 standard and all is totaly blocked now. i watched all night a lot of videos and commentts and forum but dd not found solution : when a wanted to upgraed firmware to last version, after recoonecting aircraft it appeard a NON STOP bip bip sound that cannot stop. i am just looking to RESET all and reload last version but no way. i downloded the last version on line but the app does not succeed to transfer it to the aircraft despiite maybe 20 trials. i also cannot find the micro sd card expect the video card. any body to help a poor peacefull Frenchman l?

Here Philippe from France again . for the ones who could help , here is a youtuve link to see what ahappens :  
2017-1-29
Use props
JackA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

Philippe;  are you trying to make the Firmware update via the USB cable?  The method described in the owner manual indicates that the updates are accomplished via the Controller, P3S and table/phone connections not through the P3S USB port.  It is my understanding that the USB port on the main air frame is is for diagnostic use.
2017-1-29
Use props
fans34713260
New

France

Hi Jack. No i tried via the app on my phone. the usb cable is connected on the photo to the aircraft but not to the computer. it's only when  was looking for a solution that i tried this way but without success. the sound bip bip not not stop but continiouly sounds
2017-1-29
Use props
fans34713260
New

France

Hello . i just succedeed to solve partly the problem by removing the application dji and reloaded. i could download it to the aircraft but to 75% only. the bip bip sond now over. However the propelers do not work yet. will try again to download totaly.
2017-1-29
Use props
fans34713260
New

France

fans34713260 Posted at 2017-1-29 10:48
Hello . i just succedeed to solve partly the problem by removing the application dji and reloaded. i could download it to the aircraft but to 75% only. the bip bip sond now over. However the propelers do not work yet. will try again to download totaly.

Last news for beginers : now working ! patience is paying
2017-1-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Skydiverjim Posted at 2017-1-28 22:28
I want to thank everyone for their help.  There was a linking problem. I tried this last suggestion and it also did not work, however it got me thinking again about the quality of the downloaded app so what I ended up doing was uninstalling the app on my android and reinstalling it through my computer system. That seemed to do the trick.

Again thank you everyone for your support. It is greatly appreciated.

Good to hear you got it sorted.
2017-1-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fans34713260 Posted at 2017-1-29 11:22
Last news for beginers : now working ! patience is paying

Based on the last video, the camera was still indicating that it was updating firmware. The center board may had incurred an error during the process, but the beeping would have stopped after it refreshed itself at the end of the update process. To clarify, are you saying that now everything is reading properly?
2017-1-29
Use props
McCord13
New

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-29 23:01
Based on the last video, the camera was still indicating that it was updating firmware. The center board may had incurred an error during the process, but the beeping would have stopped after it refreshed itself at the end of the update process. To clarify, are you saying that now everything is reading properly?

Another instance of the same loud self-destruction sound every time the P3S is turned on now.  Just unboxed today, it initially connected to the remote and DJI app fine and indicated a firmware update needed.  I have a P4 as well so this was nothing new to me.  The update started and then crashed at 51%.   Turned everything off and tried again and then the fun started...

I searched many YouTube videos, this forum, some others and tried the following actions that others mentioned:
*  Uninstalled DJI Go App (yes using the one for the 3 and not DJI Go4) and reinstalled.  The notice for update no longer shows.  
* checked the 'About' screen in menu and the P3S is on 1.7.9 but it does not show a version for the RC.
* Unable to connect to the RC from my iPhone or i Pad as I have no Lightning to mini-USB . . . I read that was one way to update the firmware for the RC . . but unable to connect.
* Tried relinking the RC to the P3S - followed the steps posted above and in the manual. It seems to be linked now as the link button light on the P3S is now a steady green and not flashing red.
* No flashing lights on the P3S to indicate the problem as described in the manual.
* The RC will connect to the DJI Go App, and the P3S will connect to the RC as it shows a view from the camera on the P3S but  the app also says 'Aircraft Disconnected'.  

I am stumped as I bought  a refurb P3S to have as a training partner to the more expensive P4 after some close calls as a newbie flyer.  Wanted to learn better skills in the A mode but this may just go back to Amazon if I can't figure it out.   

Any ideas would be amazing and more than welcome.

2017-1-30
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Wish i knew p3s better, but i do not.. hope someone will help out!
2017-1-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

McCord13 Posted at 2017-1-30 16:49
Another instance of the same loud self-destruction sound every time the P3S is turned on now.  Just unboxed today, it initially connected to the remote and DJI app fine and indicated a firmware update needed.  I have a P4 as well so this was nothing new to me.  The update started and then crashed at 51%.   Turned everything off and tried again and then the fun started...

I searched many YouTube videos, this forum, some others and tried the following actions that others mentioned:

Is your unit making the exact same sounds as the video above? When you listen closely or place your finger gently on the camera, does if make the "dddd' audio queue?
2017-1-30
Use props
McCord13
New

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-30 20:32
Is your unit making the exact same sounds as the video above? When you listen closely or place your finger gently on the camera, does if make the "dddd' audio queue?

It was making the same noise and it was obnoxiously loud...dogs around the neighborhood were joining in.  I actually put the P3, remote and my iPad in the garage and turned the tv up inside the house for 30 mins.  Went to check on it later and it had miraculously cleared itself and seemed ready to fly.  Will add props, calibrate compass and give it a test flight tomorrow.  
2017-1-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

McCord13 Posted at 2017-1-30 20:57
It was making the same noise and it was obnoxiously loud...dogs around the neighborhood were joining in.  I actually put the P3, remote and my iPad in the garage and turned the tv up inside the house for 30 mins.  Went to check on it later and it had miraculously cleared itself and seemed ready to fly.  Will add props, calibrate compass and give it a test flight tomorrow.

Please keep me posted. Just in case you run into that ever again during an update, gently place your finger on the back of the camera. If you feel a vibration pattern that's similar to the normal "dddd" firmware update audio queue, it means that the unit is still trying to update. It will be obnoxious, but the louder noise of the center board would stop eventually.
2017-1-30
Use props
McCord13
New

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-30 21:08
Please keep me posted. Just in case you run into that ever again during an update, gently place your finger on the back of the camera. If you feel a vibration pattern that's similar to the normal "dddd" firmware update audio queue, it means that the unit is still trying to update. It will be obnoxious, but the louder noise of the center board would stop eventually.

Thank you for your response.
2017-1-31
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

McCord13 Posted at 2017-1-31 09:08
Thank you for your response.

You're welcome, hope the tests show all is well.
2017-1-31
Use props
fans98cb46ab
New

United States

I am having the same problem. I have tried to link the controller and the aircraft. I have updated my equipment and I have attempted to request assistance from the DJI support but the lady I got on the phone appeared to get frustrated and I had trouble understanding her English. Now when I call I can get down to maybe 8th or 9th on hold and then I get disconnected. Have you been able to get your aircraft flying yet. I do have the Phantom 3 Professional
2017-1-31
Use props
McCord13
New

United States

fans98cb46ab Posted at 2017-1-31 12:32
I am having the same problem. I have tried to link the controller and the aircraft. I have updated my equipment and I have attempted to request assistance from the DJI support but the lady I got on the phone appeared to get frustrated and I had trouble understanding her English. Now when I call I can get down to maybe 8th or 9th on hold and then I get disconnected. Have you been able to get your aircraft flying yet. I do have the Phantom 3 Professional

Everything worked fine.  Initial flight earlier today was great.  I had a 2nd battery so after I swapped that in, had to update the firmware again and once that completed, it was good again as well.   I guess the best thing I can offer is to make sure that the remote and P3 are linked -- if unsure, look at the linking light on the under-right side - if it's green then you are linked.  Then, you just have to suffer through the loud noise and mine eventually updated ok and it quit sounding like an early 90's car alarm.   Also, if you do get a failed message or something doesn't work right, I would go back through the whole start-up process - meaning turning off the drone, the remote, closing the app (for iOS, actually swiping up to close, not just going to the home screen) . . . then start it all back up -- turn on wifi on my phone or ipad (I used both at certain points), turn on remote, connect it by wifi, then turn on DJI Go app, then drone and wait on home screen for it to show aircraft connected before I hit the photo button to go into the flight interface.

Also, after my firs successful update I also re-calibrated the IMU and had to do compass calibrations after the first update and then after the second battery required one as well.  

Sounds drawn out but just following through on the all steps eventually got everything sorted on mine and it flies like a dream now.
2017-1-31
Use props
Venom012
New

United States

Bilzc10 Posted at 2017-1-27 12:35
you said it was the controller not pairing with the ac, i assumed you tried pairing, right?[view_image]

Thanks that solved my issue.
2017-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules