51259 32 2017-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UtopianCrew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5213 ft
United States

Hello,
Recently I was going to fly, but it stared drizzling. Just to be safe, I canceled my flight. Just for future reference, I have a couple questions.

1) WIll a light drizzle change the color of the water sensing paper (Therefore voiding the warranty)?
2) Will the aircraft get damaged/water get in moters or other openings?
3) Wil the battery get damaged/water get in where the button is on the top of the battery?
2017-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Electronics and water don't mix, however I have seen some videos of Mavic flying in the rain..
2017-1-26
Use props
UtopianCrew
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-26 13:24
Electronics and water don't mix, however I have seen some videos of Mavic flying in the rain..

I understand but I doubt any water would have gotten in if I had flown. My main concern is the battery. Do you believe water could have gotten in through the button because this weather will most likely not stop me from flying in the future.
2017-1-26
Use props
devGOD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

UtopianCrew Posted at 2017-1-26 13:30
I understand but I doubt any water would have gotten in if I had flown. My main concern is the battery. Do you believe water could have gotten in through the button because this weather will most likely not stop me from flying in the future.

lets face it regardless of what anyone says you're looking for that one random person to say yes its okay so you can go and fly. just do it, it's your drone... go deep sea diving with it if you want.
2017-1-26
Use props
UtopianCrew
lvl.2
United States

devGOD Posted at 2017-1-26 13:41
lets face it regardless of what anyone says you're looking for that one random person to say yes its okay so you can go and fly. just do it, it's your drone... go deep sea diving with it if you want.

LOL I'll limit flight in rain, just wondering if the battery will immediately fail if water get in through the button. And I'll get deep sea diving with it too.
2017-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Water always finds its own level, so if anything is not completely sealed , it will get in the cracks, I know this from owning a boat.
You might just get away with light drizzle, buy hey it's your Mavic.
2017-1-26
Use props
UtopianCrew
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-26 13:44
Water always finds its own level, so if anything is not completely sealed , it will get in the cracks, I know this from owning a boat.
You might just get away with light drizzle, buy hey it's your Mavic.

Thanks! Ummmmmm... I'm not going to fly in the rain... seems like everyone is telling me that. But just wondering will the battery immediately fail if water gets in?
2017-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

UtopianCrew Posted at 2017-1-26 13:46
Thanks! Ummmmmm... I'm not going to fly in the rain... seems like everyone is telling me that. But just wondering will the battery immediately fail if water gets in?

If water gets in it will ruin your battery, I'm not to sure how quickly.
2017-1-26
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

If you are that worried, just don't fly it when it's raining, drizzling, foggy, high humidity, etc, etc stuff that has water.
- Also don't fly over water when its warm/hot day, because water will evaporate and go up and into your Mavic.
2017-1-26
Use props
Somican
lvl.3
Flight distance : 485997 ft
Germany

Like others say before... if u want it, do it.

Heavy Rain test at 8:00 minutes
The mavic will do it, the question is how long.
but for sure: If u love ur mavic and keep it for a longer time...Dont do it.
2017-1-26
Use props
Alex SP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112549 ft
Brazil

What a coincidence, just today a light shower took place while my Mavic was in the air. It wasn't too far, but rain got me by surprise as it took a few secs to realize it had started. I managed to land in about 1-2 minutes but still both the AC, the RC and my 6S took some water on the top. Not soaked, fortunately, dried everything out right away to be sure. Let's see what happens.
2017-1-26
Use props
ScreamMaker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46759 ft
United States

I have a feeling that perhaps you flew your Mavic in a "slight drizzle" and now want to determine if you may have caused some type of water damage and/or if the water sensing indicators may now show positive. With that said, please let us know if you have any problems near term or any future warranty coverage problems.

Please accept my apology if my take on your statement  "Just for future reference"  is off base...
2017-1-26
Use props
Riotcontrol
lvl.3
United States

2017-1-26
Use props
K4Unl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122175 ft
Netherlands

Also have a look at this:
2017-1-27
Use props
UtopianCrew
lvl.2
United States

ScreamMaker Posted at 2017-1-26 17:15
I have a feeling that perhaps you flew your Mavic in a "slight drizzle" and now want to determine if you may have caused some type of water damage and/or if the water sensing indicators may now show positive. With that said, please let us know if you have any problems near term or any future warranty coverage problems.

Please accept my apology if my take on your statement  "Just for future reference"  is off base...

No, I really meant it just for future use because I get this weather all the time.
2017-1-27
Use props
Alex SP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112549 ft
Brazil

That Extreme Test video never ceases to amaze me.
2017-1-27
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

Somican Posted at 2017-1-26 16:04
Like others say before... if u want it, do it.

HeavyRain Test Video

IF nothing else this shows us what not to do,  but  on the other hand,  you show that the Mavic can withstand  a lot of  abuse,    That being said,  I would not do that to mine,  but  I think I am a little less worried,  if the weather changes,   I think will still have time to  bring it home,  safely,   if I am even in that situation,   
2017-1-27
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

Water is tricky. I have had electronics that dried out after exposure to water (placed them in bag with some descant) and they were fine.  In other cases a bit of water exposure seemed to be fine and then six weeks later I started to have issues leading to ultimate failure.  It would be interesting to hear if anyone has flown in rain or dunked their Mavic and what the long-term consequences were (or will be...).
2017-1-27
Use props
UtopianCrew
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for all the help!
2017-1-30
Use props
mejia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36198 ft
United States

UtopianCrew Posted at 2017-1-30 06:17
Thanks for all the help!

If you have the Care Refresh, water damage is now covered, so if you'd like to try it, go for it!
http://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh/info#s4

Click on question #10
2017-1-30
Use props
UtopianCrew
lvl.2
United States

mejia Posted at 2017-1-30 12:59
If you have the Care Refresh, water damage is now covered, so if you'd like to try it, go for it!
http://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh/info#s4

Thanks! But I don't have Dji care refresh. I may purchase it!
2017-1-31
Use props
mejia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36198 ft
United States

UtopianCrew Posted at 2017-1-31 06:18

Oh, my bad, regardless, i would look into drone insurance rather than the DJI care Refresh. It seems to be the much better move (just my two cents if you plan on getting the care refresh) anywho, keep us updated if you do fly it in light rain!
2017-2-1
Use props
fans9dc038f1
New
Flight distance : 1878307 ft

I use a electrical spray that gives your electrical parts a protective wax coat that can help for unexpected light rain for a short period of time......
2018-1-27
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

although i do not recommend flying in the rain, i have done so and will report my exeraince ( https://www.skypixel.com/videos/in-da ) rain was not too hard, like a heavy drizzle for a period of a few minutes at the end of my flight, maybe about 5 min total, first soft and for the last few minutes pretty hard - like a light rain. I chose to give it a try to determine if if happens again (that i get caught suddenly with rain) if i must land immediately or have chance to fly home.
My conclusion is that i i get caught in the rain again, i will be confident that i can fly it home (at full speed)
my devise screen was completely wet and i could not see at all the picture in the screen at all (my devise is sony z3 and is splash proof so i did not worry at all for my phone). When the rain started and my testing began i flew big circles around me so i could keep my drone in vlos in case a problem occurred but nothing happened.
I thought the video picture may be useless because of water drops on the front lense but was surprised that not a single drop was seen on my footage.
- my only little concern was the water in the top battery button -i have had maybe 10 charges since then and do not notice any issues.  i did anyway put my battery in rice for the night - just in case
The electric circuit spray is a good idea - i plan to get some for just in case i am flying on a suspicious day then i will spray the top of the drone and feel comfortable that i have reduced my risk.

Important to add is that i am almost always in sport mode and certainly during the rain i kept my drone going fast thinking that the water is less likely to enter the battery power button going fast than if i was going slow or hovering.
Personally i did not notice any color paper leaching marks on my drone.
I believe that if i was asked to use my drone in the rain for an emergancy at short notice that i would do 2 things and then fly confidently;
1. put my lense dome protector on (to give me peace of mind that no excess moisture is getting in through the fan - i believe that enough heat exists there during flight to manage  little bit of moisture.
2. either put some electric spray or masking tape over the top battery button
post flight my first actions will be to wipe off and excess water from the body  and remove the gimbal dome to allow the camera to acclimatise naturally (means without warming it artificially with car heater of hairdryer) to prevent condensation build up inside the assemble.

2018-1-27
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Many Instances of Mavic being caught in the rain:

2018-1-27
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

UtopianCrew Posted at 2017-1-31 06:18

Go with State Farm insurance. 60 dollars a year and covers all. Even if the drone is lost.
2018-1-27
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7441 ft
United Kingdom

QuadKid Posted at 2018-1-27 03:03
Many Instances of Mavic being caught in the rain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0uJyUNNrU

Wow!
2018-1-27
Use props
fans9f527b57
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Don't. Got caught in a heavy shower last month. Mavic dropped like a stone. Haven't found it yet. (Prickly bushes!)
2018-10-31
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

I flew in thick fog and all went well.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-118727-1-1.html

Also, I've seen Phantom filming in a drizzle (flown by a professional pilot whom our company hired for an outdoor event)
2018-10-31
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It is not the battery per say. There are other vents inthe casing for airflow over the MCU etc.  Not helped by the forced air from the rotors.

If you get water on to the PCB it will short things out. Depending what it shorts out you may loose some or all control.   Also it could cause damage shorting things out.  How much water under what conditions is a bit of the "roll the dice" and see.
The battery will probalby protect itself from high current discharge but it will untill that point power any shorting onthe main PCB.

The problem is that if your drone crashes on someone/something and it was raining/foggy etc your insurance and DJI will say you are on your own and you should not have been flying.  Which may be all the Police need to prosecute never mind the injured party claiming.

Until DJI make an all weather UAV (at a not insignificant cost)  don't fly in inclement  weather
2018-11-27
Use props
markfromnj
lvl.1
United States

This is approximately equivalent to asking, is it okay to take my mobile phone for a dip in the lake... Uh, No.
2020-7-29
Use props
djiuser_IzAHQopBWgAO
New

Namibia

What about a mavic mini, is it ideal to fly in the rain or when it drizzle.
2021-3-14
Use props
fanse17d51c6
New
Flight distance : 3990089 ft
Malaysia

I have experienced rain during return flights on the mavic, a drizzle won't effect the drone, but there is always the risk of failure (so far so good). The battery would be fine. After each 'drizzle" flight i will put the drone in a bag with some silica gel to suck up all the moisture.

I have also crashed the mavic, twice in rivers & once at the beach. Water damaged the battery, drone will be okay if you take it apart & dry the internals. The beach is the worst, sand would get stuck in the gimbal motors, ruin the gimbal & fan untill it is 100% cleaned up, it will not work properly.
But after all that, drone is still flying, but i have lost many batteries though.
2021-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules