12Next >
5227 76 2017-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coyle22
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5413 ft
Ireland

Hi, I lost my Phantom 3 Standard due to an update in home location to somewhere random @14m35.5s. Is there somewhere I can find the undated home point coordinates from the flight log or any reason for the change? I've uploaded them already: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/T7HOQ0PAOJBEOQA1AFYS/. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know now that there was probably something I could have done when it was flying away to its new home location but I didn't know it had changed so I was just so confused and once I lost connection with the drone there was nothing I could do other than let it fly off. I know that the drone wouldn't have made it to its new "home" location as it was too far away to reach on ~30% battery but if I could get coordinates of the home location I could at least know the rough direction it would be going towards! I assume since I haven't recovered the drone there is zero comeback I have with DJI, even if a bug in their software caused it to update its home location to random coordinates? Thanks guys!
2017-1-26
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

Hi there, I would highly recommend contacting DJI Support and providing them with your logs. This is common with the new update that causes your homepoint to go haywire.
2017-1-26
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

You can put in a claim with DJI, I would. This issue been all over the forums for the past few weeks.
Question, you had the distance limit set to something, correct??

2017-1-26
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

beginner mode, or distance limit? I have seen quite a few of these lately....
Side note, you did not let the battery warm up, and missed the warning about battery being below 25C temp, next time hover around until that is ok.
As far as the log goes, i see the RTH altitude set, but I never see actual Home point recorded (usually happens when u start your motors), you did not wait for the GPS to be ready, you took off in ATTI mode, before GPS was linked.... that is always risky, as Home is unknown.
That is my guess.. Now, why would home not be recorded as soon as GPS becomes available, I am not sure.. but i cannot find where it defines what home is.. perhaps that's the issue.
Definitely contact DJI support.
Did you read the manual well and did any tutorials before flying? This is a complex aircraft, and really needs to be understood before use. Way too many things that can go wrong if one does not really understand how things work.
Good luck!
2017-1-26
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

Correction, home point recorded at 12:47 flight time.... 2 more times after 14min, then max distance was also reached, which is eactly what caused issues for some other people - so certainly you have a good chance with DJI.
Also it does look like u got 10 satellites upon take off, so i am not sure why home was not recorded there.. overall it all looks quite weird...
2017-1-26
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

last recorded speed was a little slow. if it didn't speed up during homeflight it should have taken about 6 minutes to return to its new home on that roof.
nevertheless i think it could be possible that it landed at it's new HP here:
2017-1-26
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

how did u get that? what i see is this, as the last known... did u simply extrapolate the path further?
last known.JPG
2017-1-27
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

It is the last stored homepoint  - the new faulty HP it jumped to at 14m 35.5s (53.36157706 -6.21742511).
I assumed that the drone would have started a new Go Home attempt after complete signal loss.
2017-1-27
Use props
Billy Banana 4
lvl.3
United States

how are you guys getting these screen shots and logs? idk how to get this info from mine
2017-1-27
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

You can use google maps or earth, both work. Data is from CSV (comma separated) . No rocket science ;-)
2017-1-27
Use props
Billy Banana 4
lvl.3
United States

idk how to get it from the craft or app but I will check my manual
thank you
2017-1-27
Use props
Billy Banana 4
lvl.3
United States

Billy Banana 4 Posted at 2017-1-27 09:33
idk how to get it from the craft or app but I will check my manual
thank you

i checked my manual and all it tells me is i can download the flight data from the craft. Then how are these guys whos drones have flown away getting data?
2017-1-27
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

This data is from the app on the phone/tablet. Get the djiflightrecord.... .txt from internal ssd / sd (somewhere in a dji log folder). Then you can put it here:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
This will then provide the picture you see above with data in #7 and csv and more.
2017-1-27
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

Billy, the logs are held in your phone/tablet.

The flight files look like this: DJIFlightRecord_2016-08-01_[11-15-07].txt

Android users plug your tablet via USB cable to your PC and access it like a USB drive.

The files are in the folder "DJI/dji.pilot/FlightRecord".

iOS users is a helpful video explaining how to get these.
As explained in the video - you need the "FlightRecords" folder and not the "Logs" folder.
2017-1-27
Use props
Billy Banana 4
lvl.3
United States

Awesome, thank you Merlin
2017-1-27
Use props
coyle22
lvl.2
Ireland

Thanks for your help guys! I don't know if it's just a coincidence but I live about a minutes walk from that new home point, very weird! I'll look there not but am also in contact with DJI so we'll see what happens!
2017-1-27
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

That is just a coincidence. In most if not all of the cases the jumping HP is between 1150m and 1550m WNW from the origin HP in the nothern hemisphere.
2017-1-27
Use props
coyle22
lvl.2
Ireland

At what battery percentage does it land wherever it is?
2017-1-27
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

I have read that it is 10%.
2017-1-27
Use props
coyle22
lvl.2
Ireland

I looked around the area but as it is dark at the moment I couldn't see much. I also put notes in the door of the houses in that vicinity in case it landed in their garden and they took it in not knowing what to do. Doing a bit of maths it's hard to tell if it would have made it home on its last know battery, it really depends on wind speed, the exact route it took and if it hit any trees etc on the way(although it way as a high altitude). I'll see what DJI say but I'm not to hopeful to be honest, there is so many ways they could get out of taking any responsibility! Thanks formentera, you've been a great help!
2017-1-27
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

" there is so many ways they could get out of taking any responsibility" : Not in this case. It is clearly one of these jumping homepoints due to the faulty 3.1.2 DJI GO !
A Jumping homepoint i had experienced myself and a useless DJI chat led me to this forum.
2017-1-27
Use props
Horus
lvl.2

Canada

hey sorry to hear this i hope it works out for you and rest of folks that have lost or crash  there quads because of the fw but were are the DJI people why are they talking
2017-1-27
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

formentera Posted at 2017-1-27 09:04
It is the last stored homepoint  - the new faulty HP it jumped to at 14m 35.5s (53.36157706 -6.21742511).
I assumed that the drone would have started a new Go Home attempt after complete signal loss.

I see 53.36449046 -6.23972101 @ 14m 35.5s
It's the same place on your map image, just my numbers are different.

2017-1-27
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-27 11:28
Terrible that these flyways are happening but there's some irony in that it literally did try to go home in your case

You are, or were, the proud owner of the new Dji Homing Phantom
2017-1-27
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

WilliamM Posted at 2017-1-27 12:57
I see 53.36449046 -6.23972101 @ 14m 35.5s

You are right:  i copied the (wrong) line before 53.36449046 -6.23972101 into the post.
But the new HP in my map above is the right one.
2017-1-27
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-27 11:28
Terrible that these flyways are happening but there's some irony in that it literally did try to go home in your case

Waiting at the back door like a lost puppy. Don't we wish.
2017-1-27
Use props
TXBiker63
lvl.3
Flight distance : 253 ft

United States

Sorry for everyone's fly away's.  I rolled back to Go 2.91 and didn't update from 1.7.90. I opened go 3.12 last night and it would continuously reset my home point 3 miles away. I would calibrate the compass, check my RTH settings and my usual preflight checks. I take off climb to 100 feet fly out about 300 feet and it would reset. I flipped to manual and brought it in to land. It did it 3 times each time I'd turn off the band aids and fly it back. So far DJI hasn't owned up to a problem just customers that lost equipment. It's not based on android or ios either it happened on my S7 edge and ipad mini. The common thread here Go 3.12. Just came in from a 20 minute flight with 2.91 and fw1.7.90 no issues and RTH put the quad back to within 3 feet of it's take off spot not 3 miles.
2017-1-27
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

" It's not based on android or ios either it happened on my S7 edge and ipad mini. The common thread here Go 3.12. "
That is what i thought all the time: Not only Android is affected.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=579157
2017-1-27
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

Billy Banana 4 Posted at 2017-1-27 09:07
how are you guys getting these screen shots and logs? idk how to get this info from mine

Did you figure it out ?
2017-1-27
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

TXBiker63 Posted at 2017-1-27 13:14
Sorry for everyone's fly away's.  I rolled back to Go 2.91 and didn't update from 1.7.90. I opened go 3.12 last night and it would continuously reset my home point 3 miles away. I would calibrate the compass, check my RTH settings and my usual preflight checks. I take off climb to 100 feet fly out about 300 feet and it would reset. I flipped to manual and brought it in to land. It did it 3 times each time I'd turn off the band aids and fly it back. So far DJI hasn't owned up to a problem just customers that lost equipment. It's not based on android or ios either it happened on my S7 edge and ipad mini. The common thread here Go 3.12. Just came in from a 20 minute flight with 2.91 and fw1.7.90 no issues and RTH put the quad back to within 3 feet of it's take off spot not 3 miles.

Be assured the drone's firmware has nothing to do with this issue. I have 1.8.1 and 2.9.1 and do not have this issue. Evaluation have been purposely done and every time, it's only the app that causes this issue.
No one using 3.1.1 and earlier versions report this issue. Now, the iOS app is getting blamed too.

If any one finally comes to their senses, uninstall the app, go to 2.9.1. Leave no traces of 3.1.2 on their device.
2.9.1 is the last app version released that does not have serious issues.
And, turn off auto-updating the Play Store settings.  

It's ironic that a few people submitting in the Play Store's DJI GO App review section are screaming bloody murder yet still give this freaking app 3 stars.  Happy Chinese New Year DJI !
2017-1-27
Use props
Billy Banana 4
lvl.3
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2017-1-27 14:13
Did you figure it out ?

yes thank you
2017-1-27
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

It does seem to affect p3 standard only, so far, correct?
2017-1-27
Use props
Sunny coast dro
New

Australia

Hey guys, I am new to this but i thought i would add to the thread. I have a P3S which for what it is worth i think is a good value drone. I have not done a huge range test but i did get 200m away and 100 meters high with no real issue so far. I am using an Ipad air wifi and the latest DJI go app, i have been monitoring my home point since this has come up and i have not noticed any movement. The AC sets it's home point on take off and does not move it. Is this issue only related to Android? it seems IOS works ok. I am still running on the out of the box firmware as i am to scared to upgrade.. I figure if it ain't broken why change it. I will wait till the firmware upgrade becomes stable before i choose to upgrade.

As i am in Australia and it's WIFI is determined by CE requirements i will probably put on an extender to be on the safe side to limit sending the AC beyond the reach of the remote signal.
2017-1-28
Use props
coyle22
lvl.2
Ireland

It's still not as clear if its a problem with iOS as most people(including me) were using Android when it happened, although there are a few reports of it happening with iOS. I'd like to point out that that the problem isn't with the firmware of the drone, it is with the latest version of the app which was released around Jan 18th.
Be very careful as if you are using the latest version of the app, this problem could happen regardless of the firmware version. I wouldn't risk it if I were you!
2017-1-28
Use props
cvein88
lvl.1
United States

So today I went out flying for my second time....compass was still a pain in the butt however this time it said I was in need of firmware updates...

I went ahead and flew anyway and everything was fine....so my question is???...

Should i update my firmware or just LEAVE IT ALONE...

All i have heard on here has been horror stories of bad upgrades and fly aways and changing home spots...no flipping way.

LOL

So i guess for all the NOOBS out here...what are the pro and cons to doing these updates?
2017-1-28
Use props
coyle22
lvl.2
Ireland

cvein88 Posted at 2017-1-28 13:19
So today I went out flying for my second time....compass was still a pain in the butt however this time it said I was in need of firmware updates...

I went ahead and flew anyway and everything was fine....so my question is???...

I think firmware is being confused with the App. The current problem is with the App you get from the Google Play or Apple App store. You should be alright with the latest firmware but stay away from the latest app version 3.1.2!
2017-1-28
Use props
coyle22
lvl.2
Ireland

coyle22 Posted at 2017-1-28 14:20
I think firmware is being confused with the App. The current problem is with the App you get from the Google Play or Apple App store. You should be alright with the latest firmware but stay away from the latest app version 3.1.2!

From doing a bit of research on the forums I've found out a bit more info. Since I had max distance set, there was literally nothing I could have done once the home point was changed to 1.2KM away. The drone was determined to get within the max distance boundary I had set based on its new home point so it would only let me control altitude as it was flying away. So my only option would have been to bring down the altitude and fly it into a house in the area which wouldn't exactly be ideal. Makes me feel a little better knowing there wasn't some basic thing I could have done to save the whole situation! I'll probably post back here after I get more info from DJI, after the weekend. Kevin
2017-1-28
Use props
eliot may
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245367 ft
United States

So If i find my P3 is flying to a new random home point can't I just switch to atti mode and use the map and fly it home to me directly? then as I get close switch to GPS mode and land? Is this a possible work around?
2017-1-29
Use props
eliot may
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245367 ft
United States

one more question: If my homepoint gets reset while I'm flying will it only affect me if i hit RTH?  
2017-1-29
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

eliot may Posted at 2017-1-29 13:08
one more question: If my homepoint gets reset while I'm flying will it only affect me if i hit RTH?

No.

AFAIK It will do a RTH if you lose connection, if the battery is low or it thinks it is outside of a set boundary.
2017-1-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules