Procedure for non towered airports
549 3 2017-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Masdog
lvl.2
United States

Anyone know what the prcedure is for non towered airports? The pilots are on a freq communicating with anyone on that freq letting them know what they are doing. Im sure the FAA don't want drone pilots blabbing in that channel. I was reading that it might be advisable to contact a local FSS.....

2017-1-26
Use props
GiantBubbleGuy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41962 ft
United States

You're supposed to call the airport.
2017-1-26
Use props
Masdog
lvl.2
United States

GiantBubbleGuy Posted at 2017-1-26 14:57
You're supposed to call the airport.

Yeah lady didn't know too much. Thought I was needing approval to take pictures of the airport and said I need 1 million in insurance and to not get the tail sections of planes in the pictures. I explained that's not what i need and she couldn't help. I have sent an email to the airport manager. Hope he gets back to me soon.  Trying to get in the air and get some photos for some jobs.
2017-1-26
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I don't think you need to get approval from the airport, you're just extending the courtesy of letting them know you are flying an RC aircraft nearby for the next hour or so. I tried to contact the airport whose airspace I was in and the number was wrong (some kind of telemarketing firm) so I actually have yet to experience that fun.
2017-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules