Mavic RTH sends my Drone away!
4265 37 2017-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Baxtr20
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4957 ft
Australia

Hey. I just received my Mavic three days ago and have never owned a drone before. So yesterday on second flight still in beginner mode I thought I'd try the return to home function. I'd calibrated the drone and set a home point. Whilst I had the Mavic at about 10m in the air I selected rth from my screen (I think) only to have it start flying away quickly and backwards! I couldn't seem to gain control with the sticks at all though it seemed to descend slightly whilst flying away from me if I held the stick down hard. Just managed to narrowly avoid hitting a tree by putting it in the earth back first. Thought maybe I'd done something wrong so tried again, though this time returning to my location. Again. Immediately the Mavic high tails it backwards away from me. Luckly ditched it again before tree or house. Tried again today, this time from 30m height. And lo and behold, the Mavic started flying away backwards. Only this time it was harder to bring down. I was fortunate that I crashed it down before it left the park and got to someones house. I'm also lucky there appears to be no major damage save for a few scuff marks.

Has anyone else here experienced anything like this? Am I perhaps doing something wrong? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2017-1-26
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Export your logs and upload them to healthydrones so we can see some details, the behavior seems strange. Was the home point properly located and stored? Did you clearly see it on the map?
2017-1-27
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

How far away from you was the Mavic when you instigated RTH. You say you set the RTH but you don't mention what you had it set at, ref height. RTH shouldn't kick in if the aircraft is within a certain distance from yourself. Also, if the aircraft is say a short distance away from you, while ascending it may appear to move further away as the distance increases, but in reality it could be maintaining position relative to the ground. As has been suggested, flight data should help find the answer.
2017-1-27
Use props
Baxtr20
lvl.2
Australia

CuaC Posted at 2017-1-27 00:11
Export your logs and upload them to healthydrones so we can see some details, the behavior seems strange. Was the home point properly located and stored? Did you clearly see it on the map?

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=nekjVe

This was the latest incident. Here, along with the first two I notice the Home beacon change once I activate the return home function. It seems to move to some arbitrary point.  When I initially set it I could see it on the map as seen in the beginning of the flight log. I've sent all this info to DJI support though they will be off over CNY
2017-1-27
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Germany

Baxtr20 Posted at 2017-1-27 02:40

This was the latest incident. Here, along with the first two I notice the Home beacon change once I activate the return home function. It seems to move to some arbitrary point.  When I initially set it I could see it on the map as seen in the beginning of the flight log. I've sent all this info to DJI support though they will be off over CNY

So what's the sequence on what we are seeing? when did it started flying away?

It seems that indeed it recorded a new home point in the middle of your flight, which might explain why it didn't  "return to home". There's a way to record a new home point (explained here http://forum.dji.com/thread-58311-1-1.html) is there a chance that you were checking the settings and you hit the button by mistake?
2017-1-27
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Germany

Also: It seems you're using the old Dji Go app, any issue why you're not using DJI Go 4 app? (although version 3 is supposed to work fine as well)

Maybe is worth to try if you experience the same issue with the new app.
2017-1-27
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Just one detail here to comment on - from a lot of posts I can see that the automatic functions fail - and I can't confirm it since I'm flying as much manually as possible. I don't use auto take-off, haven't even tested RTH yet since I don't think I'll ever need it (the way I fly). Maybe that's the thing? You had the beginner mode on and then tried RTH. I think it would be worth it to try switching off beginner mode, not to use auto take-off etc and then try RTH - maybe that's where the software bug lies? Just an idea.
2017-1-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Baxtr20 Posted at 2017-1-27 02:40

It looks from those logs that as Cuac said at 49ft you somehow reset the home point and instead of it coming home you were then pressing on the sticks this may have caused erratic moving backwards flying i.e. A little panic moment, it's not possible from those logs to determine what your stick movements were. But you can check them out if you replay your flight on the go app.

I don't think anything is wrong with your Mavic, but no harm syncing your flight and getting dji to check it for you.
Good luck..
2017-1-27
Use props
Irish
lvl.2

United States

Don't know if this is related but over in the Phantom forum owners of Phantom 3's using the Older DJI app, seem to having spontaneous fly aways when using RTH.  They are reporting that upon hitting RTH the Home point changes.

Side note.  When it starts to fly away, cant you just hit the RTH button again or the Pause button to cancel the action.
2017-1-27
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

I wonder if that was what happened to me also I saw a warning sign so I hit return to home and the line was on the screen for its home flight path and was about 320ft in the air and decided to land at its current position and of course there was an object that it hit in the persons driveway
2017-1-27
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In RTH it goes up before heading towards the homepoint (which is quite a sudden fast movement)
2017-1-27
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

You know tap rth to cancel it? How are you setting the home point? Try letting the drone set the home point before take off. Once you see that's happened, then you can reset it to wherever. Litchi let's you set it to wherever the controller is at automatically.
2017-1-27
Use props
Irish
lvl.2

United States

Drew77 Posted at 2017-1-27 09:23
I wonder if that was what happened to me also I saw a warning sign so I hit return to home and the line was on the screen for its home flight path and was about 320ft in the air and decided to land at its current position and of course there was an object that it hit in the persons driveway

Are you still using the DJI Go App, if so why are you not using the DJI GO4 app.  It is the newer version that supports the Phantom 4 and Mavic.  My understanding is that in February the DJI GO app will no longer support Mavic, only the Phandom 3 and older models.
2017-1-27
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

That's what I'm using the dji go4 and everything is up to date with firmware
2017-1-27
Use props
Irish
lvl.2

United States

oh ok..  Someone earlier suggested maybe you were using the older version of Go.  Over on the Phantom forum, the problem I suggested was for the older version of Go and the Phantom 3, so maybe it's not related and is in fact some other issue.
2017-1-27
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

As a beginner, I suggest you initially use the auto takeoff and as soon as the Mavic has taken off it will rise to about 6 to 10 feet and a voice will tell you that the home point has been set and to check it on the map. If you take off manually, just rise above your takeoff point and make sure  you hear that the home point has been set. Also, the default RTH height is 30 metres so it will rise to that height and then return home. As a beginner, don't be afraid to use the automated features as they work well. You do need good GPS reception for RTH.
2017-1-27
Use props
Baxtr20
lvl.2
Australia

Irish Posted at 2017-1-27 08:51
Don't know if this is related but over in the Phantom forum owners of Phantom 3's using the Older DJI app, seem to having spontaneous fly aways when using RTH.  They are reporting that upon hitting RTH the Home point changes.

Side note.  When it starts to fly away, cant you just hit the RTH button again or the Pause button to cancel the action.

Yeah perhaps it is the older app causing it. I only just read about cancelling via pushing the button again. A little to scared to try again for the moment
2017-1-28
Use props
Baxtr20
lvl.2
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-27 05:56
It looks from those logs that as Cuac said at 49ft you somehow reset the home point and instead of it coming home you were then pressing on the sticks this may have caused erratic moving backwards flying i.e. A little panic moment, it's not possible from those logs to determine what your stick movements were. But you can check them out if you replay your flight on the go app.

I don't think anything is wrong with your Mavic, but no harm syncing your flight and getting dji to check it for you.

Thanks. I was trying to get direction control with the sticks which did nothing. Then in a panic I was mashing them all over which I think turned it spinning out of control
2017-1-28
Use props
Baxtr20
lvl.2
Australia

CuaC Posted at 2017-1-27 02:49
Also: It seems you're using the old Dji Go app, any issue why you're not using DJI Go 4 app? (although version 3 is supposed to work fine as well)

Maybe is worth to try if you experience the same issue with the new app.

Hi Cuac, yeah I'm using DJI Go as I saw so many terrible Google reviews from people saying DJI Go 4 crashes constantly so I got paranoid about that. It could very well be the older app causing or contributing to my issue. No doubt DJI will respond after CNY that I should try the DJI Go 4 app. I'm going to have to anyway after support stop for the older one. Can others vouch for 4's reliability?
2017-1-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Baxtr20 Posted at 2017-1-28 01:36
Thanks. I was trying to get direction control with the sticks which did nothing. Then in a panic I was mashing them all over which I think turned it spinning out of control

Hi Baxtr20, your welcome,  just a quick one and you maybe already aware, if something happens when flying, i.e. Disoriented or flying to close to trees or buildings, one thing to keep in mind and it should be your first reaction, take your hands fingers of the controls, your aircraft will sit still and gps will hold it, you can assess the situation and you will be able to make much better decisions on what to do next.

Good Luck..
2017-1-28
Use props
fans84946d1d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 87802 ft
Greece

Hi there
Same thing happened to me too before a few hours.
I just made a big research on this.
O saw your log. Home point recorded means that some how you set a new home point according to your phone location (connected to controller). There might be a mull function of the older app. I do not know. I use the older as it has better reviews.
Although you ask to set a new home point, why the home point was not your phone.
The BIG question is  was your phone had a good signal. Because in fraction of a second with a bud signal your phone might get non sense GPS coordinates. i.e. a Km away from you. Remember your mavic speaks with satellites and your phone speaks with telecommunications antennas to get GPS coordinates. There is a big deference in accuracy.
In my case mavisc set a new home and realize that is far away from home and due to the max distance it had to go back automatically.
Now i have to climb in a mountain full of snow to get my mavic as it crushed on a tree.  At least i know exaclty where it is.
My plan is to get my mavic back and then address the issue to DJI . This is a very expensive drone to loose it such a way.
2017-1-28
Use props
fans84946d1d
lvl.1
Greece

i forgot to include that
When i enter RTH i gave me a message that i did not read it carefully. (that was my mistake) and it was not the message with the slider. I am trying to find a print screen of this message. i am sure it had to do something with the new Home point.
2017-1-28
Use props
Baxtr20
lvl.2
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-28 11:24
Hi Baxtr20, your welcome,  just a quick one and you maybe already aware, if something happens when flying, i.e. Disoriented or flying to close to trees or buildings, one thing to keep in mind and it should be your first reaction, take your hands fingers of the controls, your aircraft will sit still and gps will hold it, you can assess the situation and you will be able to make much better decisions on what to do next.

Good Luck..

Thanks hallmark007, good advice. I think the major problem here is that it was flying backwards and the controls were untouched. Do you know if when you use RTH that the drone should turn and fly forward to its home or not? Seems like it should so it can utilize the sensors.
2017-1-28
Use props
Baxtr20
lvl.2
Australia

fans84946d1d Posted at 2017-1-28 13:16
Hi there
Same thing happened to me too before a few hours.
I just made a big research on this.

Hey fans, I believe at the time I had good signal on all equipment. 18+ satellites, good connection signal and my phone had good 4G signal. It may well be a problem with the DJI Go app. Have installed DJI Go 4 app today and might give it a go if im confident
2017-1-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Baxtr20 Posted at 2017-1-28 16:59
Thanks hallmark007, good advice. I think the major problem here is that it was flying backwards and the controls were untouched. Do you know if when you use RTH that the drone should turn and fly forward to its home or not? Seems like it should so it can utilize the sensors.

It will first fly up to its correct height set by you in the app , and yes will fly forward until its above landing point and then will set itself up for descending to the home point..
2017-1-28
Use props
fans84946d1d
lvl.1
Greece

I also found this thread
https://forum.dji.com/thread-82620-1-1.html
This is exactly what happened to me and lost the drone on the mountains
This is a serious mull function of DJI app
2017-1-29
Use props
GiantBubbleGuy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41962 ft
United States

Baxtr20 Posted at 2017-1-28 01:39
Hi Cuac, yeah I'm using DJI Go as I saw so many terrible Google reviews from people saying DJI Go 4 crashes constantly so I got paranoid about that. It could very well be the older app causing or contributing to my issue. No doubt DJI will respond after CNY that I should try the DJI Go 4 app. I'm going to have to anyway after support stop for the older one. Can others vouch for 4's reliability?

I'm using the GO4 app with a Galaxy S7 Edge with zero problems with RTH. It works like a charm. I just make sure to hover at about 30 feet straight up from my take off point to make sure I've got a solid home point set.
2017-1-29
Use props
zbyna
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi, i experienced the same problem on friday. I recieved my drone on thursday so i took on a quick flight try how it works, try RTH function and everything was fine. So i decided to go on friday for a proper fly. Because i am new with a drone i was still using begginer mode. After maybe 5 minutes of flying i decided to return my drone back to me and its came safely back. BUT! In another fly when i tap RTH button my drone start acting excatly how did u describe it. It suddenly changed his home point, flying backwards and so fast. As a beginner i didnt expect such a behavior. It flew about 200m far away (supposed be just 50m range as a beginner mode) and crashed into a car. Result was broken properels and damaged gimbal. I send a email to the company and waiting now for their reply.
2017-1-29
Use props
Baxtr20
lvl.2
Australia

zbyna Posted at 2017-1-29 12:11
Hi, i experienced the same problem on friday. I recieved my drone on thursday so i took on a quick flight try how it works, try RTH function and everything was fine. So i decided to go on friday for a proper fly. Because i am new with a drone i was still using begginer mode. After maybe 5 minutes of flying i decided to return my drone back to me and its came safely back. BUT! In another fly when i tap RTH button my drone start acting excatly how did u describe it. It suddenly changed his home point, flying backwards and so fast. As a beginner i didnt expect such a behavior. It flew about 200m far away (supposed be just 50m range as a beginner mode) and crashed into a car. Result was broken properels and damaged gimbal. I send a email to the company and waiting now for their reply.

Hey, that sucks. Sounds exactly like my issue. Were you using DJI Go or DJI go 4 app?
2017-1-29
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Not sure if this helps, I've recently received my Fly More Combo and in the box came with the latest printed User Manual v1.2. Having gone through the manual, there was a section which clearly states that you should be using the latest DJI Go 4 App.

See DJI Website > Mavic > Downloads > Mavic Pro User Manual V1.2
- http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads
- Page 2 mentions to download the DJI Go 4 App.

2017-1-29
Use props
zbyna
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Baxtr20 Posted at 2017-1-29 15:25
Hey, that sucks. Sounds exactly like my issue. Were you using DJI Go or DJI go 4 app?

Dji go
2017-1-29
Use props
fans84946d1d
lvl.1
Greece

cluc Posted at 2017-1-29 19:45
Not sure if this helps, I've recently received my Fly More Combo and in the box came with the latest printed User Manual v1.2. Having gone through the manual, there was a section which clearly states that you should be using the latest DJI Go 4 App.

Hi there
Before my first flight i read this.
But through the ratings the latest app had serious problems. And the rates was low. SO i decided to download the DJI GO. It was already tested by others.
If there was a case with the first app why the did updated just for Mavic.
They update the app just for Mavic
The issue is not the app. is the new 3.1.2 update on 18 January .
I have made more than 20 flights with RTH at the end
2017-1-30
Use props
fans84946d1d
lvl.1
Greece

Hi there
But through the ratings the latest app had serious problems. And the rates was low. SO i decided to download the DJI GO. It was already tested by others.
If there was a case with the first app why the did updated just for Mavic after launch.The issue is not the app. is the new 3.1.2 update on 18 January .
I have made more than 20 flights with RTH at the end fo each flught before the update

2017-1-30
Use props
zbyna
lvl.1
United Kingdom

well my guide says to use DJI go app......     
2017-1-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

zbyna Posted at 2017-1-30 09:18
well my guide says to use DJI go app......     [view_image]

For the Mavic, use the GO4 app.
Both apps work just fine, but GO4 is optimized for the newer aircraft.
2017-1-30
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Australia

zbyna Posted at 2017-1-30 09:18
well my guide says to use DJI go app......     [view_image]

Cool, well keep using it and good luck :-)
2017-1-30
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Australia

fans84946d1d Posted at 2017-1-30 05:57
Hi there

Ratings in the App Store and Play Store don't mean anything, there are haters out there.

Anyways, you do what you wish buddy, make sure you take some nice photos for us in Santorini.
2017-1-30
Use props
fans3c503773
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17927 ft
Canada

Same thing happened to me. However, it flew straight forward and up, full speed. Into a concrete wall. Many people seem to be having similar issues
2017-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules