ATTI mode practice for new drone owners
4043 27 2017-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hedfan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21470 ft
United Kingdom

How many posts do you read about Mavics behaving erratically or blowing away? The majority of these (not all) are caused by new (and sometimes old) drone users experiencing their first taste of ATTI mode.

Can we all start asking DJI to include the following features:

1) To be able to practice ATTI mode in the simulator
    2) To be able to manually switch in and out of ATTI mode to allow a user to be able to practise ATTI mode in a controlled manner

Neither of these should be hard to do, and here's why:

1) The simulator already has the ability to control the wind speed and direction, making the Mavic drift on it's own can't be that hard
    2) The Mavic can enter ATTI mode on its own. We should be able to manually force the switch into ATTI mode via a big button in the App or ideally via allowing the user to select the function of the side "Sport switch" i.e. instead of changing to Sport mode by default allow the user to change what mode the switch changes it to e.g. ATTI mode instead of Sport mode

Give it a thumbs up if you think it's a good idea and lets see if DJI listen...
2017-1-27
Use props
Algan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116302 ft
Turkey

make sense
2017-1-27
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 683885 ft
South Africa

The constant jumping between ATTI to GPS mode is one of the main reasons that Mavics are crashing, and  DJI know this. Manual ATTI mode should have come out in December already.
2017-1-27
Use props
Ejder Bingül
lvl.2
Turkey

Totally agree
2017-1-27
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

PAYBACK Posted at 2017-1-27 01:25
The constant jumping between from ATTI to GPS mode is one of the main reasons that Mavics are crashing, and  DJI know this. Manual ATTI mode should have come out in December already.

Totally agree, when flying inside the jumping pattern between ATI and GPS when it takes random sats can be devastating.
2017-1-27
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18980 ft
United Kingdom

This would be a brilliant feature.  Its not going to solve the GPS jumping, but at least you could lock it to ATTI if you know you are in an area which may be susceptible to jumping in and out of GPS.  Also would serve to be a GREAT training aid for people to learn to actually fly the drones, rather than 'control' the computer system.
2017-1-27
Use props
hedfan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21470 ft
United Kingdom

CuaC Posted at 2017-1-27 02:03
Totally agree, when flying inside the jumping pattern between ATI and GPS when it takes random sats can be devastating.

Never tried it inside... are you saying that if you are flying inside and somehow manage to get a GPS signal it would automatically go out of OPTI or ATTI mode? That can't be good! So in this case manually being able to set the mode is a must (whether that's GPS, OPTI or ATTI).

In this case it's more like setting a 'do not exceed' mode. e.g. Set the value to OPTI as the max mode you want indoors, so even if you do accidentally get a GPS signal don't go into GPS mode because I'm the pilot and I know what I'm doing!
2017-1-27
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 683885 ft
South Africa

hedfan Posted at 2017-1-27 02:23
Never tried it inside... are you saying that if you are flying inside and somehow manage to get a GPS signal it would automatically go out of OPTI or ATTI mode? That can't be good! So in this case manually being able to set the mode is a must (whether that's GPS, OPTI or ATTI).

In this case it's more like setting a 'do not exceed' mode. e.g. Set the value to OPTI as the max mode you want indoors, so even if you do accidentally get a GPS signal don't go into GPS mode because I'm the pilot and I know what I'm doing!

Yup exactly what is happening, and no we are not the the operators. Just the dumb organic part pretending to coax the Mavic where we want it to go, the Mavic is just playing along!

You can do something about the OPPTI mode. Just turn sensors off. I still don't trust the sensors indoors BTW. As for dedicated ATTI mode, tin foil hat for your Mavic maybe?
2017-1-27
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18980 ft
United Kingdom

hedfan Posted at 2017-1-27 02:23

Yes, I have had this when I tested it indoors.  It gets GPS, then doesn't, then does, then doesn't and so on.

It is essentially switching between GPS and ATTI.   OPTI only comes in if the light is good enough for the sensors in ATTI.     I guess the reason for the switching is that GPS is obviously preferred over ATTI.... BUT NOT INDOORS!!

This definitely backs up the need for an ability to lock to ATTI
2017-1-27
Use props
AndyG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78714 ft
United Kingdom

I had been thinking about this too. I totally agree that you should be able to practice in ATTI mode, rather than your first experience of it being forced upon you when your not expecting it.

I actually have a further suggestion. It would be awesome if there was a special Beginner ATTI mode which used the gps to enforce the same 30m geofence as the normal beginner mode but allowed ATTI mode control within the geofence.

That way the Mavic could drift up to the 30m boundary and then stop.

This could be a really safe way to practice ATTI control.
2017-1-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It should be a choice for everyone,
2017-1-27
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

In one of the other similar threads, it was suggested that complaining about it here isn't likely to get much attention from DJI. It was suggested that we all use the Send Feedback feature in the Go app to make an official request for manual ATTI mode. I've already made mine.
2017-1-27
Use props
softgrapes
lvl.2

United States

I agree, it's been asked several times and DJI says they have forwarded the request to engineering. But nothing has been done..
2017-1-27
Use props
softgrapes
lvl.2

United States

I left a review in the apple store and also sent feedback via the dji go app
2017-1-27
Use props
tivoboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9984 ft
United States

DJI doesn't seem to make updates to the software too rapidly.  With a new item like this, I would have expected several FW or SW updates on craft, and at least a couple handset updates.
2017-1-27
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Belgium

Dammit! There are more threads like this and DJI remains silent. WHY? ATTI is so damn important. It will and I repeat WILL reduce the amount of incidents if the market DJI aimed for (yes this includes a lot of people with NO experience) learned how to actually fly stuff and you need ATTI for this. AIRBUS figured out the hard way that the pilot needs to have final word.. and as long there is someone manipulating the controls override shall be there. The moment things become autonomous enough so you won't need to override since no one is controlling it this forum can close.
2017-1-27
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

Totally agree.  The funny thing for me, was when my MP suddenly dumped into ATTI, I was caught flat-footed -- despite having used drones in the equivalent of ATTI mode in the past.  As I'd sold my old drones and had not been able to practice ATTI since getting the MP, I was very rusty and meant that I wound up forcing it down to avoid a fly away.  
DJI - you can't have your cake and eat it too -- if people can't practice ATTI, if they crash, then be prepared to cough up!
As Maclak said, someone from DJI should comment here!
2017-2-6
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

A selectable ATTI mode was one of the first -- maybe even the first -- of the requests I remember reading when people started receiving their Mavics, so yes, it's disappointing that DJI still hasn't provided this. Personally I'm about ready to give up and try the tin foil approach.

As softgrapes pointed out, DJI employees have already responded on here, but the only information that they're willing and able to provide is that the request has been forwarded to the appropriate team within the company.
2017-2-6
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

GMG Posted at 2017-2-6 06:12
Totally agree.  The funny thing for me, was when my MP suddenly dumped into ATTI, I was caught flat-footed -- despite having used drones in the equivalent of ATTI mode in the past.  As I'd sold my old drones and had not been able to practice ATTI since getting the MP, I was very rusty and meant that I wound up forcing it down to avoid a fly away.  
DJI - you can't have your cake and eat it too -- if people can't practice ATTI, if they crash, then be prepared to cough up!
As Maclak said, someone from DJI should comment here!

I sometimes wonder if DJI is hesitant to offer ATTI as a flight choice because it would be difficult for even experienced pilots to control. From some of those that have had to fly in ATTI because of loss of compass or GPS,  they stated that it appeared to be unstable and hard to fly unless assisted by downward optical sensors, when compared to phantoms.

If you've had the experience of flying in Atti because of a malfunction or you were forced into Atti by blocking the Gps.....what is your experience?  

I'm increasingly concerned about this with several reports of suddenly loosing gps Signal (still have satellites) for no appearent reason where you are forced to fly Atti.
2017-2-6
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Maybe DJI does not provide this manual switching possibility to ATTI because in Mavic Pro ATTI is basically erratic ?
2017-2-6
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

my MP

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-2-6 06:51
Maybe DJI does not provide this manual switching possibility to ATTI because in Mavic Pro ATTI is basically erratic ?

Up until last week, which was the first time I had my Mavic drop out of GPS for no discernible reason, I felt comfortable flying it.  As I mentioned elsewhere, given the unpredictability as to why it lurched into ATTI, I now trust it less than my old Husban, which had no positioning sensors, but also weighed a fraction of the Mavic (so was unlikely to cause any damage if it crashed).  I've not flown it since and am awaiting some explanation or firmware update.  I had 19 satellites locked in with a 5 bar signal strength.  And suddenly that all disappeared.  Why?
2017-2-6
Use props
harfordhawk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18668 ft
United States

GMG Posted at 2017-2-6 08:01
Up until last week, which was the first time I had my Mavic drop out of GPS for no discernible reason, I felt comfortable flying it.  As I mentioned elsewhere, given the unpredictability as to why it lurched into ATTI, I now trust it less than my old Husban, which had no positioning sensors, but also weighed a fraction of the Mavic (so was unlikely to cause any damage if it crashed).  I've not flown it since and am awaiting some explanation or firmware update.  I had 19 satellites locked in with a 5 bar signal strength.  And suddenly that all disappeared.  Why?

Yes, I had the same thing happen.  Unexpected drop of GPS from full to nothing, and craft seemed somewhat controllable, but erratic.  Since I had no reason to expect this and had not practiced, I was fumbling a bit until I got it somewhat stable and 15 secs later got gps back.. Harrowing though, as I was very rusty on the controls in that mode.  I still believe there is a hardware or firmware problem associated with the gps.  I have used gps for years in rc planes and they don't typically drop out like that. Even when HDOP rises , it should just lower the resolution of the fix, not switch out to atti.
2017-2-6
Use props
Sergey_B
lvl.1

Ukraine

harfordhawk Posted at 2017-2-6 09:07
Yes, I had the same thing happen.  Unexpected drop of GPS from full to nothing, and craft seemed somewhat controllable, but erratic.  Since I had no reason to expect this and had not practiced, I was fumbling a bit until I got it somewhat stable and 15 secs later got gps back.. Harrowing though, as I was very rusty on the controls in that mode.  I still believe there is a hardware or firmware problem associated with the gps.  I have used gps for years in rc planes and they don't typically drop out like that. Even when HDOP rises , it should just lower the resolution of the fix, not switch out to atti.

>> it should just lower the resolution of the fix, not switch out to atti

But what is the reason to stay in GPS mode when GPS positioning is not accurate?
Suppose your GPS location jumps +/- 10 meters or above - it may be even worse than switching to ATTI.

My concern that weak GPS could be a hardware problem
Otherwise hoping this will be fixed soon by firmware. But a silence from DJI team is strange.   
2017-2-6
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

So, I've got a response from DJI Support.  They'd asked my to check the firmware to ensure latest is installed, do calibration on the IMU and compass, make sure my antenna position is correct, etc.  I've explained that I'd done all of this before I took off, so for me this isn't a solution and that I'd like them to look at the files I've sent them and come back with an assessment on what happened.  I have a friend that wanted me to do some work with the MP checking around some equipment.  Before this happened I'd have been very confident to do it, but now, not so much.  Given the number of people raising similar issues, I'd prefer to get to the bottom of this.  A sudden shift from 19 satellites and 5 bar signal strength to no GPS in an open field away from cell towers and other magnetic interference is making me very cautious.  I'm hoping this is a firmware issue, with a fix coming soon.  
2017-2-6
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

GMG Posted at 2017-2-6 08:01

DJI GO 3 or 4 ? On Android ? Had a lot of problems with DJI GO 4 on my Android though not switching to ATTI ......................
2017-2-7
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-2-7 00:55
DJI GO 3 or 4 ? On Android ? Had a lot of problems with DJI GO 4 on my Android though not switching to ATTI ......................

But I've seen several people say that Go 3 has known bugs with the Mavic, including the nasty-sounding bug that can randomly set a new Home Point 100s of meters away, and send your Mavic flying off to that Home Point.
2017-2-7
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-2-7 00:55

I'm only using the DJI GO 4 app.  Have been using this on iOS (iPhone 6 and iPad mini).
2017-2-7
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

GMG Posted at 2017-2-7 09:11
I'm only using the DJI GO 4 app.  Have been using this on iOS (iPhone 6 and iPad mini).

We´re speaking about probs with DJI GO 4 on older Androids
2017-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules