Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Compass Error
12Next >
12524 57 2015-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bkackman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3445020 ft
United States

This morning I went out to fly. I went through the standard checklist including IMU check, ending with a compass calibration.  I take my time setting up to make sure that there is ample time to get gps satellites locked.  I was flying in a field atop a hill that I've used for a long time without issues with no structures around.  
When the bird was 2 minutes and about 600 feet out (maybe 30 feet in the air) I got a red error message that I had a compass error and I should switch to ATTI; the controller went into P-ATTI. The first step I took was to turn the bird back to me to retard the drift away from me and lower the landing gear in case I completely lost control. I didn't change to ATTI right away, but in a moment (12 seconds) the warning was gone and I was back in P-GPS mode.  I immediately flew the bird back. I landed and repeated the compass calibration. I launched again (a bit shaken) and flew without incident.

A little concern about the single incident. Don't know if I should consider this a warning of an impending hardware error. Any advice?

2015-2-18
Use props
boogieman77.gma
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

The compass error is supposed to be fixed in the next firmware.  Now when said firmware will be released who knows.  DJI is on holiday break and prob will be another week or two.  Knock on wood I have yet to have it drop out on me.  I fly mostly in atti anyways.
2015-2-18
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like one for the DJI Team!
2015-2-18
Use props
hughie495
New

New Zealand

Hi Bkackman I've had the exact same thing happen to me several times, usually just after take off.  Each time I've gotten a little worried, landed done another compass calibration and continued flying without incident.  Now I just expect it so don't worry too much.
2015-2-18
Use props
Woody44
lvl.1

United States

Ive had the exact same problem as both of you.  Usually mid flight it looses connection, but occasionally it will gain back the GPS signal a few seconds later.  A few times I've had to land it and re-calibrate the compass, after that it was okay.
2015-2-18
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is not a GPS problem but a compass problem.  When the FC detects what it determines to be abnormal Compass data it forces the controller out of GPS mode into ATTI.  As soon as the data returns to normal GPS is restored.  I have beta tested the new version of the firmware and this behavior did not occur in the 7 flights that I have done so far.  It should be addressed when the firmware is released.
2015-2-18
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
United States

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Thanks Tahoe_Ed for the info. Looking forward to the updated firmware.

Really enjoying this quad!
2015-2-19
Use props
SkySight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143566828 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed- Thanks for all of your great replies. I've heard the new firmware version being  beta tested has a way-point feature or something similar to ground station built in. Is that correct? I
2015-2-19
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
United States

Went out to fly again today.  I had another compass error warning. This time it happened a bit sooner in the flight for a shorter duration, but it occurred a few seconds later again. Then it cleared. This time I also had some FPV lag and break up.  Unfortunately while I was paying attention to that I didn't pay attention that I was approaching a hill and the ground was getting closer! By the time I noticed, she had clipped the ground and flipped over. Fortunately the damage was minor. Lost two props and two of the gimbal mounts released. Took her home to mend her wounds and clear her up a bit.

Principally I screwed up though. Shouldn't have been that low and I should have hovered to see if the FPV was going to settle down, or bring her back.  She's patched up now and the battery is charging. Think I need to get back up in the saddle. With props on back order, I don't have a full set of spares, so I'll have to treat her better.
2015-2-19
Use props
SpreadingWings
lvl.2

Australia

I have this issue going on with the latest firmware.. looks like a algorithm bug to me.. 12-15 sec the app shows red, while my HD monitor doesn't say anything. I thought of finding a way to reinstall the firmware.. but looks like DJI is aware and fixing it. I fly in Atti, so not an issue.. but did notice this problem when i was testing the iOS app functions, lag etc.

I fought the compass error to be more sensitive to 1-2 m above water.. with that warning it also looses altitude very quick. Had 3 flights and same behaviour.. it must of the sonar sensors .
2015-2-21
Use props
SpreadingWings
lvl.2

Australia

Can you clarify if the MOD value in your compass is below 1400?
2015-2-21
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
United States

SpreadingWings Posted at 2015-2-21 19:49
Can you clarify if the MOD value in your compass is below 1400?

I just got back from a trip. I don't have the quad with me right now, but from my recollection the compass value was not below 1400.
2015-2-22
Use props
kc1628
lvl.1

United States

I had the same problem that compass error and then I lost control for a little then regained control after the compass error disappeared.  I always recalibrate the compass before each flight...just scary that it would drift away in these compass error cases...hope for quick fixes from dji soon...
2015-2-22
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

kc1628 Posted at 2015-2-23 13:16
I had the same problem that compass error and then I lost control for a little then regained control ...

i think a stronger magnet and new firmware should be installed by DJI
2015-2-23
Use props
mimovie.mac
New

Australia

I am now experiencing this problem consistently. I have just updated the Firmware but still have this issue. Does anyone know the cause?? Or fix for that matter??
2015-3-5
Use props
SkySight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143566828 ft
United States

So Tahoe-Ed, have you heard officially or unofficially if the new firmware you've been  testing may have any form of waypoint or groundstation ability? It sure would help someone trying to fly and shoot video at the the same time.
Thank you
2015-3-5
Use props
jhogge
lvl.2

United States

"
I am now experiencing this problem consistently. I have just updated the Firmware but still have this issue. Does anyone know the cause?? Or fix for that matter??"

Me too, I opened another thread about this issue because I missed this one that existed already.

I am curious to know if I am doing something wrong or just a bug in the firmware??
2015-3-5
Use props
ge0se
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3184721 ft
United States

Experiencing the same issue here as well, doesn't seem to matter what I do it will throw this shortly into flight.
2015-3-5
Use props
jhogge
lvl.2

United States

I seriously doubt this was addressed in the firmware updates. There is no documentation that speaks to it being fixed.

No matter where I fly I get this error within 2-3 minutes of any flight, then it seems to go away for the rest of the flight. Even switching to the next battery it will come back again shortly after takeoff. I hope someone at DJI who can actually report this issue has done so for the rest of us who are experiencing this on each and every flight.

2015-3-5
Use props
cobcrate
lvl.3
Flight distance : 358412 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Just chiming in saying that I get this as well. It's really the only thing keeping me from being adventurous with the Inspire at the moment...which is probably a good thing. Looks like a fix is on the way though judging by beta tester comments. Can't wait. It's the main reason I keep checking the forums everyday ;)
2015-3-5
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
United States

Just a follow up that I continue to experience the compass error problem I initiated this thread with. In other words, no change since the firmware update.  Always consistently at the beginning of the flight, no matter how long I wait for everything to warm up.
2015-3-5
Use props
slabella
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1483192 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bkackman Hello: I too see this same issue "compass error problem " with this Inspire 1 Firmware v1.2.0.17" loaded in last week and this FW is still not good enough for me, but based on the Inspire 1 Release Notes, both dated 2/27/2015, I see that this release only corrects the VIDEO DOWN LINK stiff and not the flight controller.

So it's wait and see what's coming from DJI in late March or April 2015? ??????

Hope all good stuff.

Best regards,
Steve
2015-3-6
Use props
ruddy951
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59324 ft
United States

I unfortunately don't get enough time to fly my inspire 1 as much of some of you and had yet to experience the compass error problem on my six or seven flights. But unfortunately upon my second flight after the firmware update v1.2.0.17  I to witnessed the compass error and luckily landed my bird unharmed. After a second pre flight  check/re-cal  the bird flew flawlessly.
2015-3-6
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
United States

Although getting the compass error is a little discomforting, it always occurs early in the flight and then never occurs again. So I've come to accept it. I'm still honing my skills on quads (second one I've owned).

I've got 8 hours, 70 miles, and over 40 flights on the Inspire, still have the maximum distance set for 1,000 ft, and fly in an unobstructed area to keep it all safe for the bird.  I love flying and really enjoy the inspire. I have 2 new batteries on their way next week, so my outings can last longer than 15 minutes. Fortunately my flight area is just down the road so I can get as many as 4 flights in a day.

I kind of enjoy the fact that firmware and apps continue to get updated (as long as nothing catastrophic happens to the bird), because it keeps feeling new with possibilities.

Fly well, fly free, and fly safe.
2015-3-6
Use props
mbenesz
New

Poland

This is not a issue but seriuos critical problem. Yesterday, after FW update, I've lost control between buildings, and it was really scary, but I've made it. After update I have also problem with stable hovering just after the take off, this is first time I have something like this.

I'm realy affraid to flight right now....
2015-3-9
Use props
tobfo
New

Germany

hi, i also have this compass issue. In the first minutes of nearly every flight.
@DJI: Can you tell me whats the status of this issue and when u can give a solution?

2015-3-10
Use props
twinkle_of_tenn
lvl.2

Australia

Same happened to me today but it was in the mid of flight and compass error message was only for 10 seconds. Compass calibrated before flight and have newest firmware. I really want to know what cause this error. It's very scared because I have experienced fly away(could land and no big damage) with my phantom2 due to compass error.  And yeah it's not stable after take off everytime.
2015-3-11
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

tobfo Posted at 2015-3-11 14:51
hi, i also have this compass issue. In the first minutes of nearly every flight.
@DJI: Can you tell  ...

If you have this kind of warning (Compass data error) during the flight, it means there are some interference around so this message will pop up to remind you the potential danger and the flight mode will change to ATTI mode in case fly away or any incident.
2015-3-11
Use props
tobfo
New

Germany

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-3-11 18:13
If you have this kind of warning (Compass data error) during the flight, it means there are some i ...

But not every flight at many different places. These are no interferences. on open places with nothing that could make these interferences.
Many people reports this problem since firmware .16.....
2015-3-11
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

tobfo Posted at 2015-3-11 18:16
But not every flight at many different places. These are no interferences. on open places with not ...

New firmware make the compass more sensitive to the interference. I know some users have this warning on many different open places. We've recorded those cases, and waiting for the analysis result.
2015-3-11
Use props
mail.wheeland
lvl.2

United States

My I1 came with v16 FW and did not have the compass error event.  After V17 FW I saw the event on every flight sometimes multiple times in a flight.   I always remove all metal from my person when I calibrate the compass but never thought to remove my belt with a small buckle.

Yesterday I did remove my belt and had two full battery flights with no compass events.  Rock solid control.

So it seems that the compass is more sensitive in V17.
2015-3-11
Use props
budnikasr
lvl.2

Canada

This is very disturbing that it is so sensitive. I need my belt to keep my pants on Maybe DJI needs to compare serial numbers between operators complaining about these specific problems and those who are not. Basic troubleshooting. I think if you look at 25 good and 25 bad units, you'll quickly find the root of the problem.

My unit is being returned after a repair and according to DJI US Support, they say they have tested it and it is operating correctly. One thing they focused on was the compass and basically how sensitive it is and what I have to do. They didn't caution me on anything else. Hopefully, they updated my unit with the latest firmware and I don't experience any of the problems.

The other thing is our world in full of interference.

- Cell Towers
- Electrical Power Lines and Towers
- AM Antennas
- WIFI
- Metal Buildings
- Rebar in Concrete
- Millions of vehicles
- Trees

So where are we suppose to fly this unit?????
2015-3-11
Use props
ei4jr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1890640 ft
Ireland

Same error here with the latest update.
Before a flight a Compass calibration made. IMU is also calibrated.
I get it from time to time during a flight a message saying "Compass Error switch to P-Atti Mode" and the camera seems to drift when this happens. After a few seconds P-GPS locks in again. Is this a known bug in the software that DJI are aware of?
The last time this happened I was 6 minutes into the flight and the Inspire was over the sea and no electrical or magnetic interference.
2015-3-11
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

ei4jr@eircom.ne Posted at 2015-3-12 00:13
Same error here with the latest update.
Before a flight a Compass calibration made. IMU is also cali ...

This is a known reproducible bug..same here about few minutes into flight just compass error and atti conversion for a few seconds then back to gps...could be the magnetic fields generated by the rotating motors...???? this new iteration of firmware they have changed the threshold for compass interference...
2015-3-11
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-3-11 18:13
If you have this kind of warning (Compass data error) during the flight, it means there are some i ...

I call BS on the interference thing. I live in the mountains in BC and wifi is few and far between here, cell towers so far away I only get 2 bars on a good day! When I turn the app on and look at the channels for interference I can choose any of em. And guess what.... I'm having the same issues as they are, even after a fresh IMU cal and a compass cal. As a matter of fact.. Two days ago, in beginners mode no less, I hit my distance limit and my elevator control was tripping out on me! If I was over the trees I would have had to land in them because all I had was up and down, no back and forth! Or side to side!! Tell me that's not a problem! DJI had better come up with a solution for the glitchy behaviours we have all been experiencing. I need this camera to be safe and stable. This will be used commercially and as a conscientious pilot I can say without hesitation that this aircraft is not flight ready. I would not certify this craft for public or business use at all. As a pilot of a potential weapon this unstable behaviour is not acceptable.
2015-3-11
Use props
jeremyconk
lvl.3

United States

I just wanted to chime into this post also...... I have the same issue....
There is no way it's caused by interference... I have been in the city, at the beach, and in the desert and have got the same error at the same point in the flight.....
Usually about 2 minutes into the flight the compass error pops up... It lasts for a few seconds.... Usually 10-15 seconds, then goes back to GPS for the remainder of the flight....
Infact it's so predictable, I usually loiter or hover the bird near me, until the error pops up.... Then after it goes back to GPS, I begin the flight...  
There is no cell, wifi, or even powerlines where I fly in the desert.... So DJI, where is the interference coming from??  
I'll tell you..... It's BAD FIRMWARE.......
2015-3-12
Use props
ei4jr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1890640 ft
Ireland

I contacted DJI Help yesterday about this problem that we all seem to be having and they said that there is to be a Firmware Update at the end of March. I believe this update should be sorted a little sooner. They could not tell me what was going to be in the update or if this issue was going to be addressed. I have grounded the Inspires for now due to this issue. Sadly at this time the Inspire 1 is Not Fit For The Purpose.
2015-3-13
Use props
bleavitt2175.ch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4452 ft
United States

ei4jr@eircom.ne Posted at 2015-3-13 17:12
I contacted DJI Help yesterday about this problem that we all seem to be having and they said that t ...

Inspire  1 grounded till this issue is corrected.
2015-3-13
Use props
leniekw.gmail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17141325 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

I can't even get compass calibration at all inside my house. I know it isn't proper to do it inside but all three of the phantoms that live here calibrate well.

I would like to know: on a properly calibrated I1, if you flew only ATTI would you be immune to the Compass data error affecting your flight?  
2015-3-16
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Ok, I wonder if there is some connection to the battery? It's a SMART battery... I say this because on more than one occasion I had un stable hover after take off so I land and shut her off. I then start it up again and after re calibrating I launch... Guess what? Every time I do this I get a flight with no GPS loss? That makes me wonder if the battery is having to initialize with the copter and while doing it perhaps it shuts the GPS down briefly, kinda like when you change different camera format the camera restarts. Just a thought, perhaps some of you may have noticed this too?
2015-3-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules