5173 32 2017-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7fd13045
lvl.2
Flight distance : 227671 ft
United States

Hello Everyone,

just did our first flight with the new Inspire 2 recording in Prores 444XQ and noticed that the files are written in multiple 1.4GB chunks into a directory on teh SSD.
Is that a limitation of file handling and size or is there any setting to write the files as one longer file. Right now a 5 minute file woudl be broken up into over 15 chunks, so it becomes a bit tedious to edit them all together afterwards.

Thanks for any help or information.

Best,

Martin
2017-1-27
Use props
fans7fd13045
lvl.2
United States

Hello,

does anyone with Prores recording onto SSD enabled experience the same issue? All my recordings are split into multiple chunks. Is that the only way to record footage? Why are they split into these chunks? This is really quiet painful for editing.

Thanks for any help.
2017-2-3
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

They are split into 4.2 GB chunks because that is the address limit of the FAT32 filesystem. You can read about this here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/235596/ ... t32-exfat-and-ntfs/

DJI could theoretically have used EXFAT which gets rid of this limitation.  However, I think they chose what they did because these files are huge and are unwieldy to manage if really in one chunk. Also, reduces the chance of a catastrophic file failure.

You can concatenate the files in an editor without issues. The stitch is seamless.
2017-2-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fans7fd13045 Posted at 2017-2-3 01:16
Hello,

does anyone with Prores recording onto SSD enabled experience the same issue? All my recordings are split into multiple chunks. Is that the only way to record footage? Why are they split into these chunks? This is really quiet painful for editing.

Mike pretty much hit the nail on the head.
2017-2-3
Use props
fans7fd13045
lvl.2
United States

hey mike, thanks for your reply. Ok, that kind of makes sense, even though it is the first time i see Prores being truncated like that, since the file size is actually not that big, but hey, nothing i can do about it anyway, so i guess we will have to splice the footage together after shooting.

Thanks for your help :-)
2017-2-4
Use props
jar546
New
Flight distance : 1202730 ft
United States

I placed my ProRes 4444 files in order in FCPX and there is a glitch between files.  They do not appear to be seamless and I need to work on them in post which is a pain in the you know what.
2017-2-4
Use props
PIXELDUDE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 901621 ft
Australia

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-2-3 16:15
They are split into 4.2 GB chunks because that is the address limit of the FAT32 filesystem. You can read about this here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/235596/whats-the-difference-between-fat32-exfat-and-ntfs/

So I recored a video on the SSD in proress and isntead of 1 file I get a bunch of files that you say I can combine in an editor? Is there somewhere that shows how to do this exactly? A video ont he web prehaps?
2017-2-7
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

PIXELDUDE Posted at 2017-2-7 23:48
So I recored a video on the SSD in proress and isntead of 1 file I get a bunch of files that you say I can combine in an editor? Is there somewhere that shows how to do this exactly? A video ont he web prehaps?

take the bunch of files, put them back to back on the editor timeline and you can join them there....
2017-2-8
Use props
DECinHSV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14255190 ft
  • >>>
United States

PIXELDUDE Posted at 2017-2-7 23:48

Ive got that issue as well.  I know when I first started flying it, they were in mp4 as a video . . . NOW only DNGs . . . 1000s of them.  Let me know if you find a solution.  Ive been just taking the video off the SD card
2017-2-8
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

DECinHSV Posted at 2017-2-8 09:46
Ive got that issue as well.  I know when I first started flying it, they were in mp4 as a video . . . NOW only PNGs . . . 1000s of them.  Let me know if you find a solution.  Ive been just taking the video off the SD card

That's Raw format you are recording in and that's how the images come out. Use DaVinci Resolve or Premiere Pro CC to convert to a video stream.
2017-2-8
Use props
tTownTom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1928192 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I'm used with this happening to RED footage as well, however Premiere deals with this issue and reads the "magazine" folders as the clip. Hope they implement the same code into reading I2 magazine folders.. this is annoying as faaaaak
2017-2-26
Use props
DECinHSV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14255190 ft
  • >>>
United States

tTownTom Posted at 2017-2-26 11:55
I'm used with this happening to RED footage as well, however Premiere deals with this issue and reads the "magazine" folders as the clip. Hope they implement the same code into reading I2 magazine folders.. this is annoying as faaaaak

agree . . .
2017-4-16
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Do anyone know whether there is also missing frames when files stitch up together in NLE. This is what happens in Osmo. I presume it will happen in Inspire's new camera as well. In other words, there is no way to have a continuous shot for one take that is bigger than 4G file size. That is disappointing for any Pro to say the least.
2017-4-18
Use props
tTownTom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1928192 ft
  • >>>
Norway

DTK Posted at 2017-4-18 16:17
Do anyone know whether there is also missing frames when files stitch up together in NLE. This is what happens in Osmo. I presume it will happen in Inspire's new camera as well. In other words, there is no way to have a continuous shot for one take that is bigger than 4G file size. That is disappointing for any Pro to say the least.

Hi DTK,
I have not experienced the issues you describe. When I place the I2 clips back to back they stitch up fine, without any loss of frames.
2017-4-27
Use props
CiRec
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200791 ft
Germany

I think I might have "kind of a solution" for this. at least for myself, and maybe for some others.

I am an owner of convergent designs Odyssey 7Q. They provide a tool for exactly the asked purpose: combinig multiple *.mov files into a single one.

Great news is: The tool also works flawless with the files from the Inspire2 SSDs. While I would NOT recommend using the tool directly from the SSDs (well, I would recommend at your own risk ;) ), you can use it fine after they have been copied to your workstation...

The tool is called "Convergent Design ProRes Transfer" and can be downloaded from their website - and at least you are free to use it if you are a registered user and owner of one of their products...
2017-5-15
Use props
CiRec
lvl.3
Germany

CiRec Posted at 2017-5-15 09:39
I think I might have "kind of a solution" for this. at least for myself, and maybe for some others.

I am an owner of convergent designs Odyssey 7Q. They provide a tool for exactly the asked purpose: combinig multiple *.mov files into a single one.

hrm... whats wrong with the edit function?

please read their terms and conditions before using it ;)

https://www.convergent-design.co ... -transfer-tool.html
2017-5-15
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Australia

From report here and report on P4 Pro, the loss frame issue has been resolved for the newer aircraft/camera.

DJI, will your solution be backward compatible and be implemented to all platforms, including X3, X5 and X5R camera platforms? We are awaiting for your reply. This is very important to all users of your camera system.
2017-5-15
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-3 19:45
Mike pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Why does the DJI product page list exFAT32 as an option?
DJI CINESSD.PNG
2017-5-16
Use props
CiRec
lvl.3
Germany

belive me, the convergent design tool solves this problem completely. it does nothing to your files but copying them and meanwhile combinig all files in every single folder to a single one, precisely named, while logging the whole copy procedure.
2017-5-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Cobra44Magnum Posted at 2017-5-16 03:52
Why does the DJI product page list exFAT32 as an option?
[view_image]

You would use FAT32 or exFAT32 depending on the system you use for post production. Not all systems can use exFAT32, but it's far more multiplatform friendly with the larger data cap in comparison to NTFS, which is primarily a Windows format.
2017-5-16
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-16 09:02
You would use FAT32 or exFAT32 depending on the system you use for post production. Not all systems can use exFAT32, but it's far more multiplatform friendly with the larger data cap in comparison to NTFS, which is primarily a Windows format.

Okay, then how do I format the CineSSD in exFAT32? The only option is to format it - no options, just format. I would like to format my CineSSD using exFAT32. The product page, and graphic above, indicates that exFAT32 is an option for the CineSSD.
2017-5-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Cobra44Magnum Posted at 2017-5-17 04:18
Okay, then how do I format the CineSSD in exFAT32? The only option is to format it - no options, just format. I would like to format my CineSSD using exFAT32. The product page, and graphic above, indicates that exFAT32 is an option for the CineSSD.

Is that just from the app, or have you tried formatting it via your computer as well?
2017-5-17
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Australia

Okay, then how do I format the CineSSD in exFAT32?

It seems this question completely misses the point. No matter what format you are using for your SSD, your video recording will still be split into 4G files. This is hardwired into the firmware. Your only solution is to use any video editor to stitch them up. This is not difficult and time consuming at all. Software like premier, lightworks, etc.
2017-5-17
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-17 12:58
Is that just from the app, or have you tried formatting it via your computer as well?

I have only tried from the Go App. On my computer it appears to be read-only. I thought the only thing you could do from a computer was copy files from the SSD. I read that you cannot delete or format from a computer.
2017-5-17
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-5-17 14:00
Okay, then how do I format the CineSSD in exFAT32?

It seems this question completely misses the point. No matter what format you are using for your SSD, your video recording will still be split into 4G files. This is hardwired into the firmware. Your only solution is to use any video editor to stitch them up. This is not difficult and time consuming at all. Software like premier, lightworks, etc.

The question isn't to make or miss a point. The question is how to utilize an advertised format. The reason that the files are only 4GB in size is because the FAT32 format only supports 4GB files. The exFAT32 format supports files larger than 4GB.

Where did you read/see/hear that "this is hardwired into the firmware"? Please provide a reference.
2017-5-17
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Australia

I have reformated my SD card in exFat, it does not do a thing. It still splits files into 4G size. But you are better off to get DJI to confirm. It is their product. Hope they will give you an answer.
2017-5-17
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-5-17 19:54
I have reformated my SD card in exFat, it does not do a thing. It still splits files into 4G size. But you are better off to get DJI to confirm. It is their product. Hope they will give you an answer.

This post was about the CineSSD device, not the SD card. I can format the SD card to various formats using my computer. The CineSSD however has to be read through DJI's proprietary reader and appears read-only to the computer. I would like to know how to format the CineSDD to exFAT32.
2017-5-18
Use props
GerhardR
New

Austria

That's also my question: How to format the CineSSDs to ExFAT? Just a simple answer from DJI is all I need!
2017-5-21
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
United States

GerhardR Posted at 2017-5-21 04:40
That's also my question: How to format the CineSSDs to ExFAT? Just a simple answer from DJI is all I need!

Best of luck to you on that, sir. I have seen this asked in at least 3 different posts and have not yet seen an answer. My theory is that DJI's marketing got a little over zealous and listed a format that is not actually available on the CineSSD. Just my working theory for whatever that's worth.
2017-5-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

GerhardR Posted at 2017-5-21 04:40

At the moment formatting to exFat32 isn't available, but will be coming soon. It would most likely be made an option via the Go app, but that's speculation.
2017-5-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Cobra44Magnum Posted at 2017-5-22 04:12
Best of luck to you on that, sir. I have seen this asked in at least 3 different posts and have not yet seen an answer. My theory is that DJI's marketing got a little over zealous and listed a format that is not actually available on the CineSSD. Just my working theory for whatever that's worth.

It's listed as "coming soon" via the Store's description page: exfat32 description on 480 GB SSD.JPG

exfat32 description on 480 GB SSD.JPG
2017-5-24
Use props
fans2898bbf2
New

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-24 08:36
It's listed as "coming soon" via the Store's description page:

is there a resolution? my ssd's are recording thousands of 4mg files when recording cinema dng on X7 What gives?
2018-6-25
Use props
fans2898bbf2
New

United States

is there a resolution? my ssd's are recording thousands of 4mg files when recording cinema dng on X7 What gives?
2018-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules