Passed the 107 exam. Some thoughts.
2905 25 2017-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scottinATL
lvl.2
United States

I passed 107 and did pretty well. Here are some thoughts.

The FAA study guide is good for a one time read through. But after that it's pretty useless. Download it and keep it for reference. But don't make it your primary study aide.

Learn to read sectional charts and maps. There are lots of questions about airspace and reading maps to identify airspace and other iconography that's part of the maps. You are going to need to know that. A good idea for learning that information is to look on YouTube. I watched one like 20 minute video and learned a ton that I was able to apply to my studies.

I recommend getting a smart phone or tablet based study guide with practice questions. Having an app that would give me practice tests, grading and explanations for each question was the single biggest help. The app I used is the FAA Drone Pilot UAS Test Prep by Dauntless Software. It's $40 and worth every penny IMHO.

Finally, set a realistic timetable for taking the test. I studied hard for about a month and a half before taking it and then I did really well on it and didn't think it was that hard. Learn the information and take the time to do it. You may be able to cram it all in a week and learned just enough to pass. But you may not actually understand any of it. it's fun to learn about aviation so do it right.

Good Luck!
2017-1-27
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

If you had a valid Private Pilot's Licence for full sized aircraft would you still need to write the 107 test?
2017-1-27
Use props
Mag955i
New

United States

I'm a little confused about the process for non-prior pilots. Do we need to become part 61 certified before taking part 107? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
2017-1-28
Use props
scottinATL
lvl.2
United States

If you are a current pilot, the process is:
1.  You need to have a current flight review.
2.  You need to complete a shortened online course. But you do not have to take the initial written test.
2017-1-28
Use props
scottinATL
lvl.2
United States

If you were NOT a pilot, just a regular old person like me, you DO have to take the written test. It's 63 multiple choice questions. You must score 70% or above to pass. Once you pass, you have to officially submit your test ID number to IACRA (part of FAA) to receive your official certificate.
2017-1-28
Use props
SkySailorMan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2170768 ft
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-1-27 22:17
If you had a valid Private Pilot's Licence for full sized aircraft would you still need to write the 107 test?

If you possess a Private Pilot License under 14 CFR part 61, you are not required to take the Part 107 Knowledge Test as long as you have had a Flight Review within the last twenty-four months. No Flight Review within last two years?...then you need to either undergo a FR or take the test like anyone else. Persons with PPLs who have had Flight Reviews within the last twenty-four months are required to complete an FAA online course in order to earn the Part 107 Remote Pilot certificate. Reference: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_ ... s/becoming_a_pilot/
2017-1-28
Use props
SkySailorMan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2170768 ft
United States

If you possess a Private Pilot License under 14 CFR part 61, you are not required to take the Part 107 Knowledge Test as long as you have had a Flight Review within the last twenty-four months. No Flight Review within last two years?...then you need to either undergo a FR or take the test like anyone else. Persons with PPLs who have had Flight Reviews within the last twenty-four months are required to complete an FAA online course in order to earn the Part 107 Remote Pilot certificate. Reference: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_ ... s/becoming_a_pilot/
2017-1-28
Use props
Masdog
lvl.2
United States

You would need to take an online training course that gives you the knowledge on sUAS but wont have to take the exam. Check bottom half of page.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_ ... s/becoming_a_pilot/
2017-1-28
Use props
Mbeachs
lvl.3
United States

First, Congrats on passing the test.   What advantages do I have by flying under part 107?  Disadvantages?
2017-1-28
Use props
scottinATL
lvl.2
United States

Thanks Mbeach. In the US, essentially any for-hire flights with a UAV under 55 lbs is subject to Part 107. So if you plan to do any for hire flying for any kind of compensation, you'll need to pass the test and get your certification. If you are just flying for recreation, it's not as big a deal. Having said that, some of the material regarding airspace and best practices will make you a better pilot no matter what your intentions.
2017-1-28
Use props
msisrael
lvl.4
United States

There are some decent tips in this story on passing the 107 test:

Video Story Part 107 Test Tips
2017-2-19
Use props
fansaa3da6c4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 347507 ft
United States

Mbeachs Posted at 2017-1-28 10:15
First, Congrats on passing the test.   What advantages do I have by flying under part 107?  Disadvantages?

Advantage you can make money flying your drone commercially.  Otherwise if you do you could get fined by the FAA.  Disadvantage need to maintain logs of the drone and each drone must be registered on its on for the FAA.
2017-2-20
Use props
Wes1977
lvl.2
Flight distance : 363862 ft
United States

I emailed this to the FAA:
I'm not a previous pilot or anything, but if I take and pass the part 107 exam that is $150, in 2 years do I get to do the online free course and test or do I have to do the same exam at $150?

I got back after a week:
Thank you for your inquiry. The details of the recurrent exam are still being developed. Please continue checking back with the FAA to receive the latest news and update.
2017-2-21
Use props
fansaa3da6c4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 347507 ft
United States

Autel is giving a rebate $150 if you get you part 107.   Would DJI ever do that?
2017-2-21
Use props
fansd60f2c56
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

I passed my UAS 107 recently and you don't have to spend a lot of money to do so. Here's my preparation experience. I used a Google app call UAS107. Used it for 70% (30% YouTube sectional chart videos) of my prep for the exam; and the app only cost me $4. Passed on my 1st try with an 85%. My total cost to pass the exam:

$4 for UAS107 app
$150 for the test exam fee
———————————–
$154.00
Here is the link to the app for anyone interested: https://play.google.com/store/ap ... otix.labs&hl=en
2017-2-21
Use props
busalo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1649301 ft
United States

I'm a full scale pilot certified under FAR 61 and passed my 107 exam recently.  To make this issue clear, if your were previously certified under part 61 and have had a flight review in the past 24 months you qualify to take the abbreviated short course and can at that point take the written test online at no charge.  It is all on the FAA.Gov site under REMOTE PILOT  or SUAS.  

Once you pass the test you get a certificate.  This however is not your pilot certificate.  It just shows that you passed the test.  You need to take the certificate to the local FAA FSDO or to a flight instructor that has access to the FAA computer system that processed pilot certificates.  Once that is accomplished your official plastic FAA Certificate will show up in the mail.  Mine took about 60 days.

I took the course and passed the exam in about an hour.  I found it really easy.  The harder part was doing the paperwork with a local FAA examiner. Lots of usernames and passwords.  Typical government web site.  That part took both of us an hour.

So to recap.  If you are already a pilot, go to FAA.gov and take their short course and exam right there at no charge.   If you are not certified, you will have to take the long route for 107 but don't feel bad about that.  A lot of the information you will learn is junk but there are IMPORTANT regarding airspace that you really need to know.   Hope this helps somebody.
2017-2-26
Use props
DJISenord
lvl.1

United States

Just passed my part 107 exam thanks to some of the tips from this forum.   Installed the Googleplay app UAS107 a few weeks ago;  I was a little skeptical at first, but the app is legit.  Used it for most of my study, and  passed on my 1st try with a 90%.   I believe a link to the app is above, but I have also included it below for anyone who may be interested in taking the exam.  The best part, the app was only $4 dollars, way cheaper than some of those online course which can cost hundreds of dollars.  Here's my tip for any one wanting to take the exam.  Don't waste your time with convoluted classes, get something that will get straight to the point.   The UAS107 app does that and you can also find some really good YouTube videos that are also straight forward.  

Good luck and here's the link to the app: https://play.google.com/store/ap ... 07.openrobotix.labs
2017-3-15
Use props
seanjkil
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4892 ft

United States

DJISenord Posted at 2017-3-15 05:09
Just passed my part 107 exam thanks to some of the tips from this forum.   Installed the Googleplay app UAS107 a few weeks ago;  I was a little skeptical at first, but the app is legit.  Used it for most of my study, and  passed on my 1st try with a 90%.   I believe a link to the app is above, but I have also included it below for anyone who may be interested in taking the exam.  The best part, the app was only $4 dollars, way cheaper than some of those online course which can cost hundreds of dollars.  Here's my tip for any one wanting to take the exam.  Don't waste your time with convoluted classes, get something that will get straight to the point.   The UAS107 app does that and you can also find some really good YouTube videos that are also straight forward.  

Good luck and here's the link to the app: https://play.google.com/store/ap ... 07.openrobotix.labs

Between you and DJI Tom, your posts seem a bit spammy.  Anyone with some history here try the $4 app they are pushing?
2017-3-15
Use props
dbsanders
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450338 ft
United States

Mbeachs Posted at 2017-1-28 10:15

One of my favorite advantages:  When flying under part 107 rules, you don't necessarily need to obtain prior permission from ATC when flying within 5 miles, like under recreational rules. With part 107, the class of airspace determines when you must contact ATC, when flying in B,C,D or E. This doesn't help near airports where the class B/C/D/E extends all the way to the surface, but smaller airports with E beginning at 700' would allow you to fly in the class G below. Common sense though, if you're flying near an airport, probably a good idea to call. Contact is just not required by part 107 rules when flying in class G airspace, regardless of distance to the airport.
2017-3-15
Use props
Masdog
lvl.2
United States

dbsanders Posted at 2017-3-15 09:10
One of my favorite advantages:  When flying under part 107 rules, you don't necessarily need to obtain prior permission from ATC when flying within 5 miles, like under recreational rules. With part 107, the class of airspace determines when you must contact ATC, when flying in B,C,D or E. This doesn't help near airports where the class B/C/D/E extends all the way to the surface, but smaller airports with E beginning at 700' would allow you to fly in the class G below. Common sense though, if you're flying near an airport, probably a good idea to call. Contact is just not required by part 107 rules when flying in class G airspace, regardless of distance to the airport.

I think most airports in class g airspace usually don't have a control tower so there really isn't anyone to contact besides the closest tower to that location. But that's why its in uncontrolled g  airspace. But that is for everyone. Not just if your operating under part 107. In fact not operating under part 107 has more of an advantage in certain ways if higher altitude is an advantage to you. No real advantage in having a part 107 besides accepting money for work using your sUAS legally and gaining the knowledge needed to pass the part 107.
2017-3-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Masdog Posted at 2017-3-15 12:03
I think most airports in class g airspace usually don't have a control tower so there really isn't anyone to contact besides the closest tower to that location. But that's why its in uncontrolled g  airspace. But that is for everyone. Not just if your operating under part 107. In fact not operating under part 107 has more of an advantage in certain ways if higher altitude is an advantage to you. No real advantage in having a part 107 besides accepting money for work using your sUAS legally and gaining the knowledge needed to pass the part 107.

I think most airports in class g airspace usually don't have a control tower so there really isn't anyone to contact

You're right that many don't, but the FAA wants recreational fliers to notify both the control tower (if one exists) and the operator of any airport or heliport within five miles -- and there are a lot more places that have an operator. But as dbsanders said, 107 pilots aren't required to provide notification to fly in Class G airspace.
2017-3-15
Use props
Masdog
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-15 12:19
I think most airports in class g airspace usually don't have a control tower so there really isn't anyone to contact

You're right that many don't, but the FAA wants recreational fliers to notify both the control tower (if one exists) and the operator of any airport or heliport within file miles -- and there are a lot more places that have an operator. But as dbsanders said, 107 pilots aren't required to provide notification to fly in Class G airspace.

Neither does a recreational pilot. From what I was told by the FAA last week.
2017-3-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Masdog Posted at 2017-3-15 12:56
Neither does a recreational pilot. From what I was told by the FAA last week.

I believe you were misinformed:

6. Do I have to notify all airports within five miles of where I want to fly recreationally?
Yes, you must contact any airports (including heliports and sea-based airports) and air traffic control towers within five miles of your proposed area of operations

Flying for Fun (recreational or hobby)
2017-3-15
Use props
Wes1977
lvl.2
Flight distance : 363862 ft
United States

I passed my exam.  I hated that test.  There only goal is to confuse the f... out of you.  They will have you refer to the sectional charts and write a paragraph for a question, when the question could have just said: What is the minimal visibility to fly your drone?  Its 3SM by the way.   I had to read most questions multiple times.
2017-3-15
Use props
Masdog
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-15 13:07

6. Do I have to notify all airports within five miles of where I want to fly recreationally?

OK and part 107 has to do the same thing unless its uncontrolled class G and like I said before coming from an FAA agent recreational pilots do not have to contact anyone either to fly in uncontrolled class g airspace either.   

Additionally, the FAA's B4UFLY app, which is designed to help recreational UAS flyers know where it's safe to fly, shows users if they are in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, or E airspaces) in a given or planned location. If the app's status indicator is yellow ("Use Caution – Check Restrictions"), a user is in uncontrolled (Class G) airspace.
2017-3-15
Use props
Masdog
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-15 13:07

But I do hear what your saying....... There is a lot of grey area where I think they are working on trying to clear up for everyones sake or they are leaving the rules kinda loose for recreational pilots so something may happen then they can slam the door or makes rules more strict on pilots without part 107's. Kinda backwards that its recommended rec. pilots stay below 400AGL but can go higher but part 107 certified is required to stay below 400AGL
2017-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules