Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Noisy Footage (especially grass)
2745 5 2017-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
res89
lvl.1
United States

Hello all, this is my second topic regarding this issue and the more videos I see posted by other Mavic owners, the more I'm starting to believe my drone has a problem. I am noticing an obvious issue with noise in my videos, it is very visible on the grass and sometimes the roofs of houses, especially as I'm flying the drone forward. I've tried countless video settings, a factory reset, downgrading the firmware, etc.. I have had varying opinions on what the issue could be, many people saying my Mavic is fine and these are just the limitations of the camera or the 60mbps bitrate for 4k. However, I am not convinced and would like to gather a few more opinions before possibly sending my drone to DJI for repair. Below I will post footage in which I find the problem very easily apparent. Any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Pay attenton starting at 0:35, this is when I notice it the most. My video settings were 4k@30, Cinelike (-1, -1, -1) ISO 100, shutter speed was in the neighborhood of 300 (no ND filter), cloudy WB.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x070qeuacgleo7d/DJI_0016.MP4?dl=0

2017-1-27
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I downloaded clip and had a look.  Did not see any noise.  I do see a loss of crispness on the pans and edges of the roof.  I've see this loss of crispness on every digital video camera I have owned.  It becomes less pronounced when using higher frame rates which is why I have used 1080P on my P3P and P4.  Sadly the 1080P on the Mavic is horrible.  Only solution is to move the camera very slow or use ND filters so that  the images smear.
2017-1-27
Use props
fansd9c62cc3
New
United States

I have noticed similar results not quite this bad. I was thinking and trying to purchase a better microSD card thinking it may not be able to handle the bit rate that was my thought
2017-1-27
Use props
res89
lvl.1
United States

fansd9c62cc3 Posted at 2017-1-27 22:19
I have noticed similar results not quite this bad. I was thinking and trying to purchase a better microSD card thinking it may not be able to handle the bit rate that was my thought

I don't believe thats my issue, I am using a Sandisk Extreme MicroSDXC 64gig. Not sure if its affecting you though.

As to the comment above about not seeing any noise, I am surprised as I find it very easy to notice a sort of "Shimmering" or pixelated effect of the grass and rooftops.
2017-1-27
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't believe you have any issue with your drone at all and you might consider playing with the various camera settings.  I too couldn't see any significant noise either.  Do note that areas of picture where there is a high degree of pattern and edges (like grass and roof tiles) are very prone to Moire Patterns  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern
These will always look like interference or noise on higher definition video as HD video will capture the fine patterns that would ordinarily be blurred away at lower resolution recording. Part of the page reference states:
"a pattern on an object being photographed can interfere with the shape of the light sensors to generate unwanted artifacts"
In addition, when playing back, your monitor has to handle these patterns as well, and further Moire Pattern interference can occur; this would also explain why some people see less / more interference than you can see on your monitor.

I think your issue is completely fixable by changing the definition level, the sharpness or the frame rate.  Also try viewing the clip on a friends monitor and see if you see the same issues.

Hope this helps
Ian
2017-1-28
Use props
res89
lvl.1
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-1-28 03:24
I don't believe you have any issue with your drone at all and you might consider playing with the various camera settings.  I too couldn't see any significant noise either.  Do note that areas of picture where there is a high degree of pattern and edges (like grass and roof tiles) are very prone to Moire Patterns  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern
These will always look like interference or noise on higher definition video as HD video will capture the fine patterns that would ordinarily be blurred away at lower resolution recording. Part of the page reference states:
"a pattern on an object being photographed can interfere with the shape of the light sensors to generate unwanted artifacts"

I have viewed it on both my laptop (1080p) and my TV (4k) directly from an external hard drive and see the same issue. It is helpful if I drop my sharpness to -2 but things things tend to become mush. It seems there is no in between and -1 to -2 alter the footage too drastically one way or another.
Edit: It might be fix or be helpful to change the definition level, but I did purchase this drone because I have seen great footage taken in 4k, and owning a 4k display myself I would like all of my video to be in 4k as well.
2017-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules