Exposure Compensation
3377 10 2017-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I'be been out trying my Mavic with some ND filters that I purchased.
I wanted to reduce the shutter speed and had everything set to manual (I think), it was quite a bright day so I had the ISO set to 100 etc to get the shutter speed down.  However I kept getting a +2 or exposure compensation that mad the image to bright and I couldn't find a way of changing it (not the usual way anyway)... why would exposure compensation be added in manual mode and especially when it make the image to bright and blown out ?

Any tips welcome

2017-1-28
Use props
Airwolf13
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36995 ft
United States

many factors.  The iso, shutter speed and /F stop are all interconnected with the exposure compensator.  Start the camera at AUTO and see what it reads. Then go to manual settings and duplicate those settings and start playing around with adjusting the f stop to get the picture to where it just looks a stop or so under exposed.  If you want to keep the shutter speed and the iso low, the f stop will need to be adjusted accordingly. Its the fun in experimenting with the settings
2017-1-28
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks, I'm coming from a photography background so I know about ISO, Shutterspped, Fstop etc.  What I don't get is why it is adding exposure compensation automatically when I am in manual mode, especially when it is adding a +2 (or so) which then produces a blown out image.
2017-1-28
Use props
Folkestone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 843199 ft
United Kingdom

Is it possible to adjust the aperture (f/stop) on the Mavic?

I didn't think it was. I though that was fixed at 2.2?
2017-1-28
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

JaseUK Posted at 2017-1-28 05:59
Thanks, I'm coming from a photography background so I know about ISO, Shutterspped, Fstop etc.  What I don't get is why it is adding exposure compensation automatically when I am in manual mode, especially when it is adding a +2 (or so) which then produces a blown out image.

Are you sure it's actually adding exposure comp, as opposed to just showing you that your current settings are metering +2 EV? Like with most cameras in manual mode, there's a meter to give you an indication of your exposure metering.
2017-1-28
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-28 06:08
Are you sure it's actually adding exposure comp, as opposed to just showing you that your current settings are metering +2 EV? Like with most cameras in manual mode, there's a meter to give you an indication of your exposure metering.

Ahh OK well that could be it, and would make sense I assumed it was adding it but you are probably right, just like a camera would show the if its under or over exposed.

I'm going out again now to try it, I'll swap between ND8 and ND16 and see what it does.

Cheers!   now I feel stupid, lol
2017-1-28
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

Folkestone Posted at 2017-1-28 05:58
Is it possible to adjust the aperture (f/stop) on the Mavic?

I didn't think it was. I though that was fixed at 2.2?

Its fixed
2017-1-28
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

aye which is why getting some ND filters is pretty important.

BTW just been out and tested as the +ex was it telling me it was over exposed, but the ND16 and tried from there, then it poured down with rain putting end to play time
2017-1-28
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

JaseUK Posted at 2017-1-28 08:42
aye which is why getting some ND filters is pretty important.

BTW just been out and tested as the +ex was it telling me it was over exposed, but the ND16 and tried from there, then it poured down with rain putting end to play time

I keep it in Auto.  I do the regulating by choosing the correct ND/PL filter.  After a few days, you'll learn that you can just look around & determine which one you'll need.  

Try & adjust as needed:
4k30
-1,-1,-2 in STYLE
D-Cinelike
2017-1-28
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-1-28 10:36
I keep it in Auto.  I do the regulating by choosing the correct ND/PL filter.  After a few days, you'll learn that you can just look around & determine which one you'll need.  

Try & adjust as needed:

Thanks, assume by regulating that you mean getting the shutter speed to what you want it with the ND?

I was shooting 4k24 so was looking at a shutter speed of 50. I think I had it set to D-Cinelike -1,-1,-1

Just need to decide if I upgrade my CC package for Premiere etc, I'm tempted as I've used Premiere before and quite liked it.
2017-1-28
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

JaseUK Posted at 2017-1-28 11:04
Thanks, assume by regulating that you mean getting the shutter speed to what you want it with the ND?

I was shooting 4k24 so was looking at a shutter speed of 50. I think I had it set to D-Cinelike -1,-1,-1

Yes & looks like you've got it figured out.  

Auto works great with the filters (video).  I still go completely manual for stills.

Oh & the newest Premiere will decode all the HEVC H.265 stuff; which is where everything is headed (P4P, I2).  H.264 is very mature & needs to go bye bye.

2017-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules