Example 3.1.2 App Homepoint Problem
4981 35 2017-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveH_au
lvl.2

Australia

Hi,I just saw an example of the homepoint problem in the 3.1.2 Android App on Youtube and would like to share it.
I do not know how to put the youtube video here so here is the link.

This is not my video but the Pilot had a screen recording on what had happened.

If you look to the bottom right of the screen where it shows how far the RC is away from the aircraft you will see at the start it shows 1677m..!
At 3.32min you can see RTH selected manual. And although "current position" was nearly selected he actually clicked original position which took the AC back to him.
At 8.27min he chose RTH again and cancelled when asked which position then reselected RTH at 8.37min and made the mistake of selecting "Current Position". This is where the problems started..
You can see in the background the app warned max distance reached and it reset the homepoint before he hit slide to return home.  Even if he cancelled at this point in time the new home point was set 1761m away.

You can feel the anguish when his attemps to stop it were futile. Cancelling the RTH did not work as it reported "max distance" and continued to RTH. On his map you can see as it got under the 500m limit line he cancelled RTH but signal was lost and the RTH engaged again.  Even if he managed to cancel within the 500m max distance perimeter and manually tried to fly back, the AC would have prevented him from leaving the max distance limit from the new home point. He had no chance to regain the AC. Only option would have been to force a landing in a clear spot on the other side of the lake.
I take my hat of to his skills as it appears he tried every option he could to stop it from flying away.

This is where the flight logs would not show what actually happened as he manually chose to set the new homepoint and the AC went where it was supposed to go.
The problem existed from the start with the App reporting the incorrect position of the controller. It was what we call an "Accident waiting to Happen"

Regards
Dave

2017-1-28
Use props
fansf274e658
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53465 ft
United States

I wont fly mine until they fix this issue.   
Seen way too many threads about it and sorta DJI playing coy ..
2017-1-28
Use props
Palladous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102185 ft
United States

Nice find! I really felt his pain.  The new HP was set to the initial position of the RC was which was way off.  I tried loading 3.1.2 on a Samsung Tab A which I have not flown with.  When I started Go App, it had the correct HP but the RC was 1100 ft away in the right lane of I95. Even if it managed to autoland, the outcome would not have been good. Starting 2.9.1 puts my RC and HP in the proper location.  So I guess the question we really need answered is why is the RC set so far away from where we are standing?
2017-1-28
Use props
Johnnyrebel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 521010 ft
United Kingdom

Reliving the nightmare . what a sick feeling. Fortunately I recovered mine from 4400ft away on a local moor. I still had video but lost all contact with critical battery auto land at 90ft alt descending. I wandered about for an hour or so and suddenly the rc sprang to life with "critical battery" warning. I followed the WiFi signal and got broken video trans about 80yds away, result!!. I was fortunate, the outcome could have been so much different. The area I normally fly in  is quite busy, 4400ft could easily have put this air craft on a busy  motorway with disastrous results!!.. Right now I'm running the 2.9.1 go app with the 1.8.10 fw, all appears OK but with limited range, I can live with that for now because I'm totally paranoid about it!!. The onus is on us to fly responsibly and safely, but these problems take it completely out of our control which raises quite a few points about responsibility,safety and blame.....nightmare, nightmare.
2017-1-28
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

Perhaps he could turn off Max distance so he could regain manual control?
You can downgrade the app version by obtaining an older APK.  Since the app is now a manual load, Google Play won't nag for an update.
2017-1-28
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

OK, I get it now.  The problem isn't really RTH, but Max Distance.  If you manage to change the home point to the false position, the max distance kicks in and it tries to get back in range.  You can see RTH was not engaged when it started flying away.  So the answer is, disengage Max distance and fly manually to where you are.
2017-1-28
Use props
digdat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

2017-1-28
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Very good you found this video, it really does show visually what's going on here. And your analysis is right on too, good job.
2017-1-28
Use props
gbmarsh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 75692 ft
Canada

DanMan32 Posted at 2017-1-28 07:02
Perhaps he could turn off Max distance so he could regain manual control?
You can downgrade the app version by obtaining an older APK.  Since the app is now a manual load, Google Play won't nag for an update.

CAUTION!! Unless you turn off automatic updates, Google Play will absolutely update any app to the most current version. The above statement is false and the assumption can cause people a lot of grief.
If you are manually downgrading the DJI Go app TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES!
2017-1-28
Use props
fansb48af2d1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 339111 ft
Switzerland

Actually you can simply disable the autoupdate for that single app in the play store, simply select "my apps" -> dji go and then on the right top corner the sandwich menu and untick auto update.

I can confirm the bug, my location in the here maps was off of about 1km and in the right bottom corner just after the home point recording I could see the 1km distance. Luckily I didn't have to RTH

I noticed that ENABLING the "Enable AMAP (For China mainland)" (I live in Europe) seems to fix the location lock on the map (after restart), not sure if this information can help the DJI devs.
2017-1-28
Use props
Jos HH The Neth
New
Flight distance : 215095 ft
Netherlands

Hi I had today Januari 28, 2017 also a problem that the home point set in the DJI app 1,2 km away of the point i fly away (That i know now). Before the drone Phantom Standard  fly away it notified home point recorded. We fly 30 m away and forgot to put the memery card in. I said to my sone bring him home. When the drone was near to use is said use automatic landing.  The app ask at home point or something as the place were you are now. We pointed the last but it start beeping and went to home point. We canceled but the drone didn’t react and fly away. So far away that i couldn't see it. Now my drone is away. We couldn't find it. Tomorrow morning when it is light we go and look again. If i look on the map at de DJI app then it pointed a wrong return to home point.  Also on my sons phone the same problem. If i look at google maps than this program pointed the right place were we take of with the drone. Are there more people with this problem. Hopefully we will find it back.
2017-1-28
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

Here's some recommendations I have if you have 3.1.2 installed and don't have an opportunity to downgrade the app version:
Turn off Max Distance, since this is using the perceived mobile device location relative to the drone and will register being further than your max distance setting.   Apparently if you are already "too far" on takeoff, the AC/App will disregard but apparently some maneuvers including triggering RTH.
Don't change home point after takeoff, as the default is to use the mobile device location.  On takeoff the app will used the AC's position instead.  The only other option would be AC's current location which probably isn't optimal either, though at least it is in range.
Set FailSafe mode to Hover rather than RTH.   This way if it does fly away and you are trying to recover (such as just realizing Max Distance is still set), it may stay put if it goes too far and loses signal.   Then you can try to get closer.
You won't be able to use Follow Me since that relies on the mobile device/RC location.
2017-1-28
Use props
DaveH_au
lvl.2

Australia

DanMan32 Posted at 2017-1-28 16:10
Here's some recommendations I have if you have 3.1.2 installed and don't have an opportunity to downgrade the app version:
Turn off Max Distance, since this is using the perceived mobile device location relative to the drone and will register being further than your max distance setting.   Apparently if you are already "too far" on takeoff, the AC/App will disregard but apparently some maneuvers including triggering RTH.
Don't change home point after takeoff, as the default is to use the mobile device location.  On takeoff the app will used the AC's position instead.  The only other option would be AC's current location which probably isn't optimal either, though at least it is in range.

Hi Dan, These are good suggestions. For a pilot with a bit of experience they are fine. but some of the new pilots tend to panic if something goes "out of normal" and if the mistake of hitting current position is chosen then they cant get back. if it is over land, like you say at least hovering they can try to get to it

I had another idea to try but I have gone back from 3.1.2 and do not wish to put it back on.
I would like someone that has the latest Go installed and showing the incorrect location to set up the power widget on their home screen and do the following. (I am not asking to fly the AC just see if the app changes their position.)

Power up the RC & AC.
Connect the Android to the RC and open DJI Go.
If their location distance shown at the bottom is way off then:
Go to the home screen and toggle the location services icon off then back on again. (be wary some Android devices have a halfway position on this icon - half shaded - do not leave it half on)
Swap back to Go and check their distance and position on the map.

Let us know if their position is then correct.
Regards
Dave
2017-1-30
Use props
DJ Nee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84610 ft
Australia

Although i *think* this doesn't apply to me as i'm using iOS, can i just confirm that if the guy in the video had selected the "original homepoint" button for both RTH's, then everything would have been ok?
2017-1-30
Use props
Murilo Carmello
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1562549 ft
Israel

fansb48af2d1 Posted at 2017-1-28 11:55
Actually you can simply disable the autoupdate for that single app in the play store, simply select "my apps" -> dji go and then on the right top corner the sandwich menu and untick auto update.

I can confirm the bug, my location in the here maps was off of about 1km and in the right bottom corner just after the home point recording I could see the 1km distance. Luckily I didn't have to RTH

"Actually you can simply disable the autoupdate for that single app in the play store, simply select "my apps" -> dji go and then on the right top corner the sandwich menu and untick auto update."

I couldn´t find this, could you explain it in more detail please?
2017-1-30
Use props
Murilo Carmello
lvl.4
Israel

fansb48af2d1 Posted at 2017-1-28 11:55

"Actually you can simply disable the autoupdate for that single app in the play store, simply select "my apps" -> dji go and then on the right top corner the sandwich menu and untick auto update."

2017-1-30
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89564 ft
United Kingdom

I thought I was safe with the 3.1.1 app until I noticed the distance the remote to the drone was 1620 metres andI was right next to it!
2017-1-30
Use props
leonardo.sb
lvl.1

Portugal

Johnnyrebel Posted at 2017-1-28 06:55
Reliving the nightmare . what a sick feeling. Fortunately I recovered mine from 4400ft away on a local moor. I still had video but lost all contact with critical battery auto land at 90ft alt descending. I wandered about for an hour or so and suddenly the rc sprang to life with "critical battery" warning. I followed the WiFi signal and got broken video trans about 80yds away, result!!. I was fortunate, the outcome could have been so much different. The area I normally fly in  is quite busy, 4400ft could easily have put this air craft on a busy  motorway with disastrous results!!.. Right now I'm running the 2.9.1 go app with the 1.8.10 fw, all appears OK but with limited range, I can live with that for now because I'm totally paranoid about it!!. The onus is on us to fly responsibly and safely, but these problems take it completely out of our control which raises quite a few points about responsibility,safety and blame.....nightmare, nightmare.

nice find. you've used the rc and device to ping the wifi signal. it's a nice hint in this cases
2017-1-30
Use props
KCadby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 638474 ft
United States

WOW!!! That video shows a REAL Problem = SCARY and DJI obviously needs to address that issue ASAP!!!

I do want to add here that I am "So Far So Good" flying my P3 Standard with Android 3.1.2 (fingers and toes crossed), so that issue isn't happening to everyone...
My Details:
P3 Std. in USA... I haven't (and won't) do the 1.8.10 Firmware Update because I'm still seeing some people having issues installing and or using it...
Sorry I don't remember what Firmware I have (was in P3 when I got it Dec.2 2017)...
I'm flying with 8" Nvidia Shield K1 now (started flying with S3 Phone)...
61 flights on P3 so far (50 flights with the Shield K1)...
Home Point has always been correct on every flight and nothing "Strange" has happened...so far...
I have always flown with Distance Limit activated but I was planning on (and deff WILL now) un-check the Distance Limit BEFORE my next flight!!

The only complaint I have is I'm not getting as good of Range as I wish = Signal starts getting weak at 1,320Ft and looses signal by max-setting 500 meters (1,640Ft)...
This is in a "high humidity area" = South Florida (you can see in my videos that I fly very close to the Ocean) so I'm not shocked by the lack of Range I'm getting...
2017-1-30
Use props
Az4zel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 339111 ft
Switzerland

Murilo Carmello Posted at 2017-1-30 06:50

So from the play store app on android, open the left side menu selecting the top left corner sandwich menu button (Near the Search field). The left side menu open (with your username on the top) and select the "My apps & games" item. Look for the DJI GO app, and select it. Alternatively you can simply search the DJI go app in the play store, it opens the same view. You should have it installed. Now on the right top corner you'll notice three vertical dots (they may be a bit hidden because of the background image): Screenshot_2017-01-30-20-52-46.jpg
When you open the menu you can untick the option:
Screenshot_2017-01-30-20-59-39.jpg
2017-1-30
Use props
Murilo Carmello
lvl.4
Israel

Az4zel Posted at 2017-1-30 12:01
So from the play store app on android, open the left side menu selecting the top left corner sandwich menu button (Near the Search field). The left side menu open (with your username on the top) and select the "My apps & games" item. Look for the DJI GO app, and select it. Alternatively you can simply search the DJI go app in the play store, it opens the same view. You should have it installed. Now on the right top corner you'll notice three vertical dots (they may be a bit hidden because of the background image):
When you open the menu you can untick the option:

Now I got it, thank you
2017-1-31
Use props
Rabe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 967907 ft
Germany

Hello,

as we have seen in the video about the P3S FlyAway there was an gigantic offset between AC and RC right from the beginning.
Today I had the same problem. I switched on the drone this morning and had an offset of about 1136 m. Yesterday I had no such problems. I had not stopped the go-App over night. This afternoon I started the AC again ind got the same offset. Then I stopped and restartet the go-App and the offset disapeared. But I had to stop it by a system tool to kick it out of the background.
Maybe this is a workaround fo all those, who use the actual Version of the App.

Greetings
Rabe
2017-2-1
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Could you just say return to controller possition/ or the location of the phone or tablet?
2017-2-1
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

How can I make sure my app is the correct version, so it does not update or reset homepoint.
2017-2-1
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

Rabe Posted at 2017-2-1 08:09
Hello,

as we have seen in the video about the P3S FlyAway there was an gigantic offset between AC and RC right from the beginning.

I would just reboot the mobile when done flying.
2017-2-1
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-1 16:03
Could you just say return to controller possition/ or the location of the phone or tablet?

That's exactly the problem.   It is the mobile position that the app is misreporting.   The reported AC position is OK and fortunately it is the AC position that is recorded as the home position on takeoff.
There is no GPS on the remote itself, it's position is determined by the app with the mobile position.   If you had a long enough USB cable, you could move the mobile device far away from the RC and you'd see its position change.
2017-2-2
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-1 16:04
How can I make sure my app is the correct version, so it does not update or reset homepoint.

Anything below version 3.1.2 is OK on this point.   You can find an APK of an older version online.
2017-2-2
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

I just did that yesterday, but thanks for your help.
2017-2-2
Use props
fansb7df61d1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 782388 ft
Mauritania

I had the same problem with my drone
I lost my dron in the middle of the desert {:4_142:}
It fly away 2km. It was a nightmare
I found my drone 6 hours later
I recommend to use Litchi app for the moment for safer fly
2017-2-5
Use props
fans4c281ddf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71778 ft
Russia

There's is new update for DJI go 1.3.4 did they fix the issue?
2017-2-5
Use props
DaveH_au
lvl.2

Australia

fans4c281ddf Posted at 2017-2-5 03:00
There's is new update for DJI go 1.3.4 did they fix the issue?

I think the new release is IOS only.  We will have to wait for an Android update.
Regards
Dave
2017-2-5
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

They sent me a beta vresion of the Android Go app to test.   Doing that in an hour or so.
2017-2-6
Use props
Piloton
lvl.1
Flight distance : 72743 ft
South Africa

Hi Everyone

So glad to have found this thread, I thought I was doing something wrong. On Saturday evening I decided to test the altitude on my drone (p3pro) and take some sunset pictures. Anyway at about 350m I lose connection to the drone and it automatically flips to "return to home". I jump on the car roof hoping to get some better signal as I've only had this drone for a few days and i couldn't risk losing it. As I'm searching the skyline for my done I notice (on the camera) it is moving away from me and landing in some unknown area. My heart sinks as I realize I might never find it again. I jump in the car and start driving while following the Blue dot on the Gps (Little did i know that the blue marker is actually the controller). Here's where it gets weird, the blue dot was actually 1.3kms away from my current position which led me to think it was the drone. After realizing my error i follow my Gps to the last known home point which turns out to be in a sewerage purification plant, after an hour of searching in the dark I find the drone in the middle of an old sewerage pit. Some tetanus shots later I am safely back home flying again and every time I hit the RTH button it gives me "original position" or "current position". DJI hasn't come back to me on this and the local DJI agent doesn't know any better. So how exactly do I fix this as I can't fly without fear that my drone might just disappear.
2017-2-6
Use props
DaveH_au
lvl.2

Australia

Hi, I am glad you got your drone back. Over here in Oz you were what we would say "In deep SH!T.." literally.
I have downgraded to a previous version of the Go App and the problem has not reappeared. Nigel (Solentlife) has tried a number of combinations of firmware and apps and has concluded which combo works best for him.
I personally have the latest Firmware but dropped back to version 3.0.1 Android Go App as i hadn't saved any older version of the apk files.

Before you go down the track of waiting for a new version of the app or trying to downgrade, please try the following:
Turn on your controller, then the AC and wait till the light on the controller goes green (connected) open the app & check the distance reported at the bottom. (between AC and control)
If it is a long way off, go to your tablet/phone settings and turn off the GPS (location services) then turn it back on again. Go back to the Go app and see if the distance is corrected.
If the distance looks OK you should not have a problem. If it is still reporting a large distance, scroll around the map and you will see where the AC may end up if RTH is invoked.

If the above does not work be aware if RTH is encountered and you are asked to select your original position or your current position, Original is where you took off from and the Current is where the blue dot is on the map. Avoid selecting current position if the blue dot is NOT where you are located on the map.
Regards
Dave
2017-2-7
Use props
rohandas
New

India

The problem is solved at my end for now.
2018-9-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

This is an old thread.  As I remember, there was some sort of FW problem that caused the home point to reset itself for no particular reason at a place that didn't make any sense.  So RTH would cause the Phantom to fly away and land somewhere in the distance.  The FW was eventually fixed.  
2018-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules