SD Card Error
10646 24 2017-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thatguy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 120509 ft
United States

Using a Lexar 1000x U3 card. Everytime I get an SD card error. Formatted with App, on a Mac, PC in EXFAT.
Stock Sony SD card works.

Why can't I get this Lexar to work? I have been all over the forums. Lots of problems, very little in the way of solutions.
2017-1-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Perhaps it's not an appropriate style card speed to use.
Format the Card in the drone with the app.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-28
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

I concur with Red, try using the Go App to format while the card is in the drone.
If it gives an error even trying to format the card, try wiping the partition table using Windows Disk Manager (or Disk Part, the command prompt version of Disk Manager), as there may be data/formatting in the zero sector of the card that the P3 can't handle.
2017-1-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The P4 pro is more fussy about SD cards than previous models.  There are some cards it just won't take (particularly big ones)
2017-1-28
Use props
thatguy
lvl.2
United States

DanMan32 Posted at 2017-1-28 16:39
I concur with Red, try using the Go App to format while the card is in the drone.
If it gives an error even trying to format the card, try wiping the partition table using Windows Disk Manager (or Disk Part, the command prompt version of Disk Manager), as there may be data/formatting in the zero sector of the card that the P3 can't handle.

Go App fails every time. The partition looks good, the only thing I can think of is doing a non-Quick format which I am running now (taking awhile).
2017-1-28
Use props
thatguy
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-28 17:07
The P4 pro is more fussy about SD cards than previous models.  There are some cards it just won't take (particularly big ones)

Well that stinks. I guess I have a very small paper weight if that is the case?
2017-1-28
Use props
thatguy
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-28 15:43
Perhaps it's not an appropriate style card speed to use.
Format the Card in the drone with the app.

It is 150 mb/s so it is more than fast enough. Format in drone fails every time.
2017-1-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

If It won't work, try another type and another ...  Rinse and Repeat!! ;-)

Just as DJI have developed an appropriately tested device list, an equally useful list shall include allowable micro sd card use.

RedHotPoker

2017-1-28
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

thatguy Posted at 2017-1-28 17:49
It is 150 mb/s so it is more than fast enough. Format in drone fails every time.

Those Lexar cards are not good, you hear of someone having them fail at least once or twice a week. It appears that the sustained write speed is quite poor. The safest card to buy is the Sandisk Extreme Pro series. And always format them in the aircraft, that way the aircraft can create all the files and hidden directories it requires.

2017-1-28
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've tried cards of different speeds and sizes from a few different manufacturer's. Same result. Even the card that came with the P4P is unreadable more often than it is readable. I hope there is a fix for this issue via software updates.
2017-1-29
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

it is possible to have a bad card reader in the aircraft.
2017-1-29
Use props
thatguy
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-28 18:27
If It won't work, try another type and another ...  Rinse and Repeat!! ;-)

Just as DJI have developed an appropriately tested device list, an equally useful list shall include allowable micro sd card use.

Are you saying there is an approved memory card list that I have overlooked? On another note it is really annoying when this is the case. A few camera manufacturers have this problem, but don't do enough outreach to let people know not to waste their money.
2017-1-29
Use props
thatguy
lvl.2
United States

Actually after further research I see that this Lexar card does not work. I also realized I made an error when I didn't distinguish MB/s vs mb/s, So I guess my takeaway after more research is that I should get this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/p ... s_microsd_32gb.html

If that is wrong, let me know!
2017-1-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

thatguy Posted at 2017-1-29 09:05
Are you saying there is an approved memory card list that I have overlooked? On another note it is really annoying when this is the case. A few camera manufacturers have this problem, but don't do enough outreach to let people know not to waste their money.

No, I'm suggesting , an appropriate micro sd card list, be made public. ;-)

We need one... Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

thatguy Posted at 2017-1-29 09:41
Actually after further research I see that this Lexar card does not work. I also realized I made an error when I didn't distinguish MB/s vs mb/s, So I guess my takeaway after more research is that I should get this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1275606-REG/sandisk_sdsqxwg_032g_ancma_extreme_plus_microsd_32gb.html

There are numerous threads on Phantom useable sd cards, did you try the forum search function? ;-)

See here:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-81957-1-1.html

For the Phantom 3
http://forum.dji.com/thread-15819-1-1.html

RedHotPoker

2017-1-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

thatguy Posted at 2017-1-29 09:41
Actually after further research I see that this Lexar card does not work. I also realized I made an error when I didn't distinguish MB/s vs mb/s, So I guess my takeaway after more research is that I should get this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1275606-REG/sandisk_sdsqxwg_032g_ancma_extreme_plus_microsd_32gb.html

Don't waste your time with the Lexar, they are being reported all the time as flaky. Get a Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro.
2017-1-29
Use props
phil0
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I bought the SanDisk Extreme Pro 32gb 95MB/s Doesn't work in my Phantom 4 pro, says unknown error. It won't format in the aircraft either. I've formatted it to ExFat on Mac to see if that works but it doesn't. Memory card works on other devices but not the drone.
2017-2-19
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

phil0 Posted at 2017-2-19 05:43
I bought the SanDisk Extreme Pro 32gb 95MB/s Doesn't work in my Phantom 4 pro, says unknown error. It won't format in the aircraft either. I've formatted it to ExFat on Mac to see if that works but it doesn't. Memory card works on other devices but not the drone.

For 2 weeks I had the same issue with that card as well as with the Ultimate version, then they suddenly both started working. It's possible that when I reverted to the oldest firmware, then updated to the latest again that it somehow "reset" my P4P and got it working, but I am not sure. I still cannot get my 64GB card to read though.
2017-2-19
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

p4pro writes continuously at 100Mbs, or 12MB/s. Lexar usually advertises high read speeds (90+MB/s), but the write speed is usually 10MB/s. I would try a sandisk or kingston or samsung which advertises clearly the write speed (usually above 40MB/s). if that works while the previous doesnt, then the card is not compatible. if that dosen't work either, then it may be a problem with the settings or the drone.
2017-2-19
Use props
phil0
lvl.1
United Kingdom

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-2-19 08:06
For 2 weeks I had the same issue with that card as well as with the Ultimate version, then they suddenly both started working. It's possible that when I reverted to the oldest firmware, then updated to the latest again that it somehow "reset" my P4P and got it working, but I am not sure. I still cannot get my 64GB card to read though.

Thanks thats good to know. Maybe I'll leave it 2 weeks and try it again. I'm sure it's got something to do with the latest firmware update.  
2017-2-20
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

phil0 Posted at 2017-2-20 10:27
Thanks thats good to know. Maybe I'll leave it 2 weeks and try it again. I'm sure it's got something to do with the latest firmware update.

If all else fails, try downgrading (in DJI Go Assistant 2) to the earliest firmware, then upgrading each version in the order they were released. That's all I did to mine before it started working.
2017-2-20
Use props
kelvinmorton
lvl.1
Flight distance : 380436 ft
Australia

I am having similar problems.  I have two new 16Gb cards and keep getting a 'capacity error' message.  The P4P errors out when I try and format the card using the app.  I formatted the card on the PC and also moved a few files back and forth to make sure it works.  When I put the card back in the P4P I still get the error message.  I'm running an SD Card validation utility on the card now and the first thing I notice is that it an only check 14Gb rather than 16Gb due to the partition, so I may blow away that partition and see if it works after that.  This makes me concerned about whether or not the two new Samsung 64Gb cards I have coming in the mail will work!
2017-2-20
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

kelvinmorton Posted at 2017-2-20 19:08
I am having similar problems.  I have two new 16Gb cards and keep getting a 'capacity error' message.  The P4P errors out when I try and format the card using the app.  I formatted the card on the PC and also moved a few files back and forth to make sure it works.  When I put the card back in the P4P I still get the error message.  I'm running an SD Card validation utility on the card now and the first thing I notice is that it an only check 14Gb rather than 16Gb due to the partition, so I may blow away that partition and see if it works after that.  This makes me concerned about whether or not the two new Samsung 64Gb cards I have coming in the mail will work!

The Samsung cards will most probably work OK, but to be certain, buy Sandisk Extreme series cards, they are known to work, and always format them in the aircraft.
2017-2-20
Use props
kelvinmorton
lvl.1
Australia

kelvinmorton Posted at 2017-2-20 19:08

After the validation tool ran I got the following results:
Writing speed: 13.6 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.3 MByte/s

For a 4K camera I'm not sure that 13.6/s writing speed is going to cut it - although I'm not sure that this is the reason for the issue....
2017-2-20
Use props
kelvinmorton
lvl.1
Australia

kelvinmorton Posted at 2017-2-20 19:42
After the validation tool ran I got the following results:
Writing speed: 13.6 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.3 MByte/s

Just passing on an update.  Whilst I 'thought' I'd bought 64Gb Samsung SD cards, they shipped 64Gb Sandisk Ultra cards.  I put both of them into my P4P and they both worked perfectly. I had the P4P format them anyway just to make sure.
2017-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules