RAW or JPEG
6122 33 2017-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nick823
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4911 ft
United States

If you are shooting raw when taking photos and if you don't change it , does it mean the video will also be in Raw.   I have been shooting JPEG, pics are fair, and I heard you can edit them more using Raw.  I don't see a settng under video.

2017-1-28
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

videos have their own setup in the setting menu
2017-1-28
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

The format RAW is only for photos. There is no difference in how much you can edit a jpg, dng which is the name of the file here but .dng contains more information since it's straight forward
2017-1-28
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

A .jpg image is processed in camera and compression of the file strips out a lot of image data to reduce the file size, at the expense of quality. A RAW image, in this case in .dng format, is subject to minimal or no processing and uses a lossless compression format (there may still be some compression), this produces a more detailed image with less artefacts and can be adjusted in post. Adjustments can be undone and the original image remain intact.
2017-1-29
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Video and Photo are different.

For photos I would always say shoot raw as you are able to get a lot more from them in post, however you will need to do a bit more post, Lightroom is very good and easy to use, and later if you couple that with photoshop you'll be covered

If you do not want to or are unable to do much post at this stage, if you have enough storage space it may be worth shooting in RAW and JPEG, that way you would have the RAWs to use  later if you get into editing more.
2017-1-29
Use props
Nick823
lvl.2
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-1-29 00:24
A .jpg image is processed in camera and compression of the file strips out a lot of image data to reduce the file size, at the expense of quality. A RAW image, in this case in .dng format, is subject to minimal or no processing and uses a lossless compression format (there may still be some compression), this produces a more detailed image with less artefacts and can be adjusted in post. Adjustments can be undone and the original image remain intact.

Thanks for the response,  It seems hard to see any adjustments I make with JPEG and most photos or video need edited
2017-1-29
Use props
Nick823
lvl.2
United States

Flybee Posted at 2017-1-28 22:52
The format RAW is only for photos. There is no difference in how much you can edit a jpg, dng which is the name of the file here but .dng contains more information since it's straight forward

You can't shoot video RAW on Mavic
2017-1-29
Use props
Nick823
lvl.2
United States

Flybee Posted at 2017-1-28 22:52

So the video settings have no option to shoot in RAW or JPEG
2017-1-29
Use props
Nick823
lvl.2
United States

JaseUK Posted at 2017-1-29 00:38
Video and Photo are different.

For photos I would always say shoot raw as you are able to get a lot more from them in post, however you will need to do a bit more post, Lightroom is very good and easy to use, and later if you couple that with photoshop you'll be covered

I do have Filmora, it is easy to use.  The RAW and JPEG would only be for photos, love for someone to look at my youtube channel and point out what needs work.
2017-1-29
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Nick823 Posted at 2017-1-29 00:46
So the video settings have no option to shoot in RAW or JPEG

For video the only option you have is .MOV or .MP4 which are basically the same as just containers for the data and no difference in quality really. Some people will say if you are using a Mac go with MOV and windows go for MP4 but the choice is yours.
2017-1-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nick823 Posted at 2017-1-29 00:52
I do have Filmora, it is easy to use.  The RAW and JPEG would only be for photos, love for someone to look at my youtube channel and point out what needs work.

You haven't posted a link to your youtube channel!
2017-1-29
Use props
Nick823
lvl.2
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-1-29 01:36
You haven't posted a link to your youtube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUgj4BomtL5fySKgRhZX-SQ

The featured video is probably the best I have shot.  I noticed the better the light the Mavic does better.  I would like to use video to scan more habitat for Rattlesnakes, but I need a little more clarity.
2017-1-29
Use props
Nick823
lvl.2
United States

JaseUK Posted at 2017-1-29 01:33
For video the only option you have is .MOV or .MP4 which are basically the same as just containers for the data and no difference in quality really. Some people will say if you are using a Mac go with MOV and windows go for MP4 but the choice is yours.

Any help much appreciated.  Here is a link to my channel.

2017-1-29
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

One of the first things I noticed on a couple of your videos is the horizin does not appear to be straight, it looks like it is running downwards which is quite strange, and it looked about the same in both videos.

On another there was a bit of reflection, the sun was strong but it didn't move in a few frames which hinted that you were running it with the plastic dome on (which you shouldn't).

2017-1-29
Use props
Luis Sc
New
Ireland

jpegs are great to share quickly or to be checked on small screens but i always ( always ) shoot raw; the biggest advantage is to come back home and look at the information and learn from experience;

if I go back in time and check my raw footage I can easily tell what I was doing at the time; aperture, shutter speed, ISO...

if it needs to be shared stat I go for RAW+JPEG - share the JPEG but as soon as I get a chance I go back and check what I was doing regarding camera settings
2017-1-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nick823 Posted at 2017-1-29 01:50
Any help much appreciated.  Here is a link to my channel.

I thought you were referring to photo examples. I'm sure there are far better critics than I that can give you sound advice on your video portfolio.
2017-1-29
Use props
Nick823
lvl.2
United States

JaseUK Posted at 2017-1-29 02:07
One of the first things I noticed on a couple of your videos is the horizin does not appear to be straight, it looks like it is running downwards which is quite strange, and it looked about the same in both videos.

On another there was a bit of reflection, the sun was strong but it didn't move in a few frames which hinted that you were running it with the plastic dome on (which you shouldn't).

I was pretty much facing towards the sun, dome wasn't on.  I will have to look at video about horizon, never noticed it.  The gimbal seems a little off center from where it came back from repair.  I know there is an option to adjust the horizon if I can see which way it needs to gol
2017-1-29
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Sweden

Nick823 Posted at 2017-1-29 00:41
You can't shoot video RAW on Mavic

I think you can shot .mov or mp4 without any profiles etc = raw. the format Raw is a photo format.
2017-1-29
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Sweden

Nick823 Posted at 2017-1-29 00:52

To be really correct you only have .dng = unprocessed photo and jpg = processed with the settings you can chose in the DJI Go app
2017-1-29
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Nick823 Posted at 2017-1-29 03:05
I was pretty much facing towards the sun, dome wasn't on.  I will have to look at video about horizon, never noticed it.  The gimbal seems a little off center from where it came back from repair.  I know there is an option to adjust the horizon if I can see which way it needs to gol

OK I only spotted it once but thought that may be a reason.

I come from a photogrpahy background so straight horizons is something I tend to notice straight away, On the recent video you posted I felt that it was sloping but as there war no clear horizon I thought it may be deceptive and I was imagining it. But I also got the same impression on an earlier video where the horizon was more pronounced.

Thought I'd mention it but don't take my word, test it for yourself to make sure..  
2017-1-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Luis Sc Posted at 2017-1-29 02:23
jpegs are great to share quickly or to be checked on small screens but i always ( always ) shoot raw; the biggest advantage is to come back home and look at the information and learn from experience;

if I go back in time and check my raw footage I can easily tell what I was doing at the time; aperture, shutter speed, ISO...

JPG files contain all the data you mentioned and much more in the exif information contained within the image file.
2017-1-29
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

rick39 Posted at 2017-1-29 05:11
JPG files contain all the data you mentioned and much more in the exif information contained within the image file.

DNG probably even more meta data:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Negative
2017-1-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Flybee Posted at 2017-1-29 03:05
I think you can shot .mov or mp4 without any profiles etc = raw. the format Raw is a photo format.

RAW files are regarded as lossless files and contain far more data than compressed files. RAW is not limited to a still image format. Some video cameras  (including still cameras like high end DSLRs) can shoot video in RAW. The problem is one of imaging processor power and high yield data size. An average DSLR stills camera may be able to shoot 3 to 4 RAW images per second, but not for very long. A video camera will be shooting at least 24fps and has to keep this data rate up continuously, admittedly not at the same resolution of a still image, but high enough to produce amazing clarity if shot in a RAW format. Whilst such cameras exist, they don't exist for the Mavic.
2017-1-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The .dng RAW format contains more metadata than a .jpg file. It actually lists .exif data as one of the types of metadata it carries, which is the metadata of choice for all .jpg files, as well as IPTC data. For those that don't know, right click an image and look at it's properties and the exif data should be there. The amount of data available will be down to the age of the camera and the manufacturers design. IPTC data is available for you to add your own information for each file which is then saved for others to view. This is a standard set by publishing houses, news agencies etc.
Even more data can be extracted by using your editor of choice. By example the great free image viewer "Irfanview" will display more exif info than that displayed in a windows properties enquiry. Generally, there is as much information in an exif file that you will ever need.
2017-1-29
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Sweden

rick39 Posted at 2017-1-29 05:26
RAW files are regarded as lossless files and contain far more data than compressed files. RAW is not limited to a still image format. Some video cameras  (including still cameras like high end DSLRs) can shoot video in RAW. The problem is one of imaging processor power and high yield data size. An average DSLR stills camera may be able to shoot 3 to 4 RAW images per second, but not for very long. A video camera will be shooting at least 24fps and has to keep this data rate up continuously, admittedly not at the same resolution of a still image, but high enough to produce amazing clarity if shot in a RAW format. Whilst such cameras exist, they don't exist for the Mavic.

thank you for the clarification Rick
2017-1-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Flybee Posted at 2017-1-29 14:22
thank you for the clarification Rick

Thank you for taking the time to read my reply. I do go on a bit though....
2017-1-29
Use props
tellus1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105551 ft
Australia

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I'll be shooting in RAW from now on!
2017-1-29
Use props
Nick823
lvl.2
United States

Thanks to everyone who replied here.
2017-1-29
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Sweden

rick39 Posted at 2017-1-29 15:18
Thank you for taking the time to read my reply. I do go on a bit though....

It is always good to learn new stuff.
2017-1-30
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

go 100% for RAW (DNG) The JPG does serious crap to the picture quality. It is day and night! JPGs look like a water paiting, while the DNG has all the detail.
2017-1-30
Use props
Nick823
lvl.2
United States

Nees Posted at 2017-1-30 03:45
go 100% for RAW (DNG) The JPG does serious crap to the picture quality. It is day and night! JPGs look like a water paiting, while the DNG has all the detail.

I will give it s try
2017-2-2
Use props
Nick823
lvl.2
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-1-29 05:26

I think some folks are confused about the Mavic doing video in RAW.  There are youtube videos that mention shooting video in Raw when they are talking about the Mavic.  The way the settings are one could get confused I guess.
2017-2-22
Use props
SkyMemories
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139967 ft

Malaysia

Raw.. looks more original~
2017-2-23
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nick823 Posted at 2017-2-22 21:12
I think some folks are confused about the Mavic doing video in RAW.  There are youtube videos that mention shooting video in Raw when they are talking about the Mavic.  The way the settings are one could get confused I guess.

Depending on the context, the use of the word RAW could mean two different things. RAW images or video are captured in a "lossless" format.
The other use of the word RAW could refer to the still image or video remaining as it was shot without any post processing or editing, eg: "Here are the RAW rushes from today's shoot"
2017-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules