Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
To Mavic or not to Mavic
1313 9 2017-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yorick Nicholls
lvl.2
Flight distance : 790758 ft
Vanuatu

That is the question...
I run a drone photography biz in Vanuatu, currently with a P3S and a P3P.
I find the latter to be amply sufficient for work however... I'm going to Vietnam for 15 days in April and lugging the P3P around the countryside might be cumbersome. Just found an incredible package online for the Mavic + additional accessories (batteries and all) for a great price.

Would you recommend taking the leap?

Appreciate your input.
2017-1-28
Use props
fansc725fe25
lvl.2

Spain

Yes it's ideal for travelling
2017-1-29
Use props
fans9553217f
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

fansc725fe25 Posted at 2017-1-29 00:46
Yes it's ideal for travelling

I think photographic quality is the issue for the enquirer. I would be interested in that answer also.
2017-1-29
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Make sure you buy some ND filters to adjust the camera to an acceptable IQ level.
Portability is what the Mavic is about.
There are many clips on YT to show the IQ achievable with the Mavic.
2017-1-29
Use props
ExiledBlue
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5928881 ft
Thailand

I at last managed to get hold of a Mavic 2 days ago.

Do yourself a favour, BUY ONE.

It is simply magnificent....Thank you DJI
2017-1-29
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

If you have the skills to produce great footage with a P3 you'll likely do the same with the Mavic.  From looking at a number of comparisons there are some differences in IQ between the two but not that much in the hands of a skilled operator.  And I'd think that you're more likely to launch a Mavic than a P3 when travelling as it can be carried at all times and launched spontaneously in an easier way.  I find the same with my Nikon DSLR vs my Fuji mirrorless.  There are times for both.
2017-1-29
Use props
Arielboer
lvl.1

United States

I can't compare video or photo quality of the Mavic to the Phantom as I only own a Mavic, but I will say the Mavic shoots beautiful video and takes very decent photos. I recently traveled to Mexico with it in carryon, and just rolled the drone itself in a scarf for protection and tossed it along with the controller into my backpack. The portability of it is really astounding, and the main reason I decided to get one. I do think there are still some software bugs to be ironed out (gimbal roll problems, some claims of attitude mode instantly crashing drones), but as long as you are patient preparing for takeoff (waiting for GPS or opticall mode), you shouldn't have problems.

It doesn't shoot night scenes tremendously well though unless it's in a well lit city (got some gorgeous shots of NYC at dusk just after the sun set), but I feel like that's to be expected. But really, whether it's worth it or not comes down in my opinion to whether the added portability is a big enough draw for you.
2017-1-29
Use props
the.little.elep
lvl.1
Canada

Hey - I know this is off topic but how was taking your drone to Vietnam? I am heading to Vietnam and Indonesia in October and want to bring my Mavic with me but have heard conflicting things about the legality of drones in Vietnam and some warning that drones are being confiscated at customs or by police. How was it for you, any issues? Thanks in advance!
2017-5-15
Use props
odesius
lvl.2

Spain

Ive got the P4 advanced and the Mavic 2 zoom, the Mavic better for travelling on a plane etc , the P4 better in wind and long transmitter battery life....horses for courses!
2020-4-3
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

yes get the Mavic, you will be glad you did.
2020-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules