Woodlands - Mavic Video
1539 21 2017-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gusmtb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35249 ft
United Kingdom

A couple of days shooting in the local woods, very overgrown which made for some tricky flying which all the branches and twigs, not to mention the wind!

Had some trouble getting the mavic to follow me on the field, put this down to the very strong wind there, could hear the propellers fighting it, never the less at least it held a steady shot.

2017-1-29
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Wow, that's pretty awesome!
2017-1-29
Use props
monkeyblue
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29787 ft
United Kingdom

That's pretty awesome, I'm hoping to take the Mavic out on a local MTB ride in the coming weeks and was wondering how it would handle in the woods
2017-1-29
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
United Kingdom

monkeyblue Posted at 2017-1-29 03:07
That's pretty awesome, I'm hoping to take the Mavic out on a local MTB ride in the coming weeks and was wondering how it would handle in the woods

Extra care needed, while walking the woods before I got the Mavic (my first drone), I was seeing this shot and that shot, when using the drone I realised that shot wasn't possible due to how closed in the woods are with overhanging branches, some very thin that the Mavic can't sense!

Very happy with the drone so far.
2017-1-29
Use props
firestar
New

United Kingdom

Wow, this is an amazing video, great colours and fantastic camera/drone control.

Fantastic work.
2017-1-30
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Stunning footage
2017-1-30
Use props
Henry M.Y.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Gusmtb Posted at 2017-1-29 04:01
Extra care needed, while walking the woods before I got the Mavic (my first drone), I was seeing this shot and that shot, when using the drone I realised that shot wasn't possible due to how closed in the woods are with overhanging branches, some very thin that the Mavic can't sense!

Very happy with the drone so far.

Excellent footages!

Did you encounter loss of GPS signals in the wood?

Henry
2017-1-30
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Cool and risky shots so close to the trees!! How did the GPS perform over there?
2017-1-30
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Yes the Mavic kept loosing GPS and going to Atti mode, put it in Tripod Mode and flew carefully, one shocking moment when it decided to enter RTH, I by mistake pressed OK instead of cancel and the Mavic shot up in the air heading for the overhanging branches, I luckily reacted quickly enough and pressed the cancel button just shy of a crash!

Funny how it lost GPS as I had my Garmin GPS on the bike and it never lost a very strong signal.
2017-1-30
Use props
Henry M.Y.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Gusmtb Posted at 2017-1-30 05:59
Yes the Mavic kept loosing GPS and going to Atti mode, put it in Tripod Mode and flew carefully, one shocking moment when it decided to enter RTH, I by mistake pressed OK instead of cancel and the Mavic shot up in the air heading for the overhanging branches, I luckily reacted quickly enough and pressed the cancel button just shy of a crash!

Funny how it lost GPS as I had my Garmin GPS on the bike and it never lost a very strong signal.

Hmm, the foliages were not that thick, and the Mavic lost GPS intermittently and entered ATTI mode? You must have swift reflects in combating such situations - the footages are buttery smooth!

You may consider setting the Mavic to hover instead of RTH when encountering RC signal loss. This should avoid it from shooting itself into the overhanging branches.

Thanks for sharing.

Henry
2017-1-30
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2017-1-30 17:53
Hmm, the foliages were not that thick, and the Mavic lost GPS intermittently and entered ATTI mode? You must have swift reflects in combating such situations - the footages are buttery smooth!

You may consider setting the Mavic to hover instead of RTH when encountering RC signal loss. This should avoid it from shooting itself into the overhanging branches.

Beautifull, one suggestion is to do SLOW MO with running water and waterfall it would add interesting effect. But overall good shooting.

As Henry suggested put it on hover but I would also limit the height to 20 feet when you are in thick foliage areas.
2017-1-30
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

very nice and enjoyable to watch and listen...
2017-1-30
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

Great video! I made a similar one myself and plan to do more because I feel like these tight areas is where the mavic really shines!
2017-1-30
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

very impressive,   some of us  just worry about flying, and then you post pictures like this,,,  maybe some day  I will be able to do that stuff,  Very impressive,  keep it up, and happy droning,
2017-1-30
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks for the comments, my first vid with the Mavic and really happy, obviously as you make something and edit it, afterwards sit there and think how it could have been better, I do plan on more footage and do a non-biking version in 4k too.

@dronist, this is exactly what I thought afterwards and put it into hover for the rest of the shoot, had to remember to switch back to RTH for open air flying though :-)
2017-1-30
Use props
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126234 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Where does that building go? It looks like a WW2 bunker. Great vid!
2017-1-30
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
United Kingdom

The building is an old pumping station, there a few of them burned in the woods.
2017-1-30
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

That is superb, do you mind if I share it on Facebook from your Youtube page?
2017-1-31
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I'd be honoured Dave.  Share it by all means.

2017-1-31
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

All the above, well done on a great first edit. I like the subtle effect at the end with the trees on the horizon of the hill sinking without trace, like some terrible landslip. Must have taken a bit of work masking that lot!

That was an optical illusion. I now realise the trees were in the foreground. Picture as though the trees were behind the hill and you'll see what I mean. Next stop specsavers!
2017-1-31
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

A great video - really enjoy it - thanks for sharing :-)
2017-1-31
Use props
fansb23dff63
lvl.1
United States

lovely!!!!!
2017-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules