Jumpy video
1368 10 2017-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anim8me2
lvl.1

United States

I'm trying to figure out why I am getting this jumpy strobing effect on my video.
This is a slam edit (basically raw video) but I am getting a lot of jumpiness in my video.

Any advice or comments are welcome.
2017-1-29
Use props
Doots
lvl.3
Flight distance : 682598 ft
United States

I had a "jumpy" video problem whenever I tried to record in the 720p/30 MP4 mode. The cached video on the phone was the normal length of  8 minutes of recording but the full recording on the Mavic was only 4 minutes long. I realized that a lot the frames were disappearing. I reset the mavic to factory and updated again and problem went away. Weird.

The Mavic sure seems to have a lot of bugs. The "losing GPS and switching to ATTI mode" bug has me nervous. hasn't happened to me yet but a lot of people have been reporting it and DJI has yet to post a satisfactory response on these forums. I'm hoping it's not an incurable hardware issue.
This is the jumpy video problem I had. This video was the cached video taken straight from the phone. The recording on the mavic was only about 4 minutes long and the missing frames made look as if everything from the Mavic to the cars on the street were moving fast.

2017-1-29
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

@op that footage looks horrible.. Why not film in 2.7k or 4k?
2017-1-29
Use props
Anim8me2
lvl.1

United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-1-29 13:07
@op that footage looks horrible.. Why not film in 2.7k or 4k?

That is 4K exported to 1080p because I just want feedback on the jumpiness.
2017-1-29
Use props
Anim8me2
lvl.1

United States

Doots Posted at 2017-1-29 12:47
I had a "jumpy" video problem whenever I tried to record in the 720p/30 MP4 mode. The cached video on the phone was the normal length of  8 minutes of recording but the full recording on the Mavic was only 4 minutes long. I realized that a lot the frames were disappearing. I reset the mavic to factory and updated again and problem went away. Weird.

The Mavic sure seems to have a lot of bugs. The "losing GPS and switching to ATTI mode" bug has me nervous. hasn't happened to me yet but a lot of people have been reporting it and DJI has yet to post a satisfactory response on these forums. I'm hoping it's not an incurable hardware issue.

That looks like frame skipping you would get from a slow processor.
the jumpiness I am seeing is very regular so I'm not sure what is causing it.
2017-1-29
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
United States

I see the jitter your talking about, but are you sure your editing is right? It looks like it was shot at 720 and encoded to 1080. What are you using in post?

Try uploading it strait 4k to youtube and see if it's the source or post encoding that's causing it.

Oh you mean the smoothness in playback? That could be high shutter speed. If you fly without nd filters you have to be mindful of what you shoot and yaw speeds. With nd filters you can shoot with lower speed, smooths out the footage at 30fps
2017-1-29
Use props
Anim8me2
lvl.1

United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-1-29 13:41
I see the jitter your talking about, but are you sure your editing is right? It looks like it was shot at 720 and encoded to 1080. What are you using in post?

Try uploading it strait 4k to youtube and see if it's the source or post encoding that's causing it.

This is the metadata on the footage

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 4.54.53 PM.png
2017-1-29
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
United States

Yeah don't use cineform. Try mp4 and see if the footage is any different. I don't think you need help anyway- I saw your other post
2017-1-29
Use props
Anim8me2
lvl.1

United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-1-29 14:05
Yeah don't use cineform. Try mp4 and see if the footage is any different. I don't think you need help anyway- I saw your other post

I'm trying to get the best footage I can. I can always use help. Real help.
There seems to be differing schools of thought on what the best settings are.
Currently using Cinelike 24fps NTSC @4k
Custom -1-2-2
2017-1-29
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

What's your shutter speed? I think the rule of thumb is something like should be twice as fast as your FPS, so should be 50/60?
2017-1-29
Use props
Anim8me2
lvl.1

United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-29 19:47
What's your shutter speed? I think the rule of thumb is something like should be twice as fast as your FPS, so should be 50/60?

Yeah, the problem is I don't have my filters yet so controlling light is a bear.
2017-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules