Noise rear right prop... need I worry??
1115 14 2017-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

After my 3rd and last flight today with my 3 day old Inspire 2 I checked the drone before packing it away.  I spun the 4 props and the rear right motor/prop made a "bad" sound like a bearing packing up.  This is a red dot prop.  I spun the right front prop too and it also was a little noisy....  The two white dot props are quiet.  I have swaped the two red dot props but the noise remained on the right rear.  Is this OK or need I worry??

2017-1-30
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

This is a common issue - a result of a little gap on one side of the prop mount. Look around the forum for fixes. Easiest one is to put some tape onto the mount.
2017-1-30
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-1-30 16:01
This is a common issue - a result of a little gap on one side of the prop mount. Look around the forum for fixes. Easiest one is to put some tape onto the mount.

Thanks!  Little disappointing to have this on the flagship!  (But fixable for now.)
2017-1-30
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey I2

Yes, this is disappointing for sure! It has been reported and appears the Red props have some tolerance slop in them. Start a ticket with DJI for replacements (version 2). They have put a small foam strip on the contact side of the prop. there are many posts taking about this. I have copied a few for you to read.

All the best
Rich

http://forum.dji.com/thread-81719-1-3.html
http://forum.dji.com/thread-78923-1-1.html
http://forum.dji.com/thread-79158-1-3.html
2017-1-30
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-1-30 21:25
Thanks!  Little disappointing to have this on the flagship!  (But fixable for now.)

This happened for the Inspire 1 too. Its not a biggie. I've been applying some adhesive tape without any bother. You'll enjoy the I2 in the air. Its sooo stable.
2017-1-31
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-1-30 21:43
Hey I2

Yes, this is disappointing for sure! It has been reported and appears the Red props have some tolerance slop in them. Start a ticket with DJI for replacements (version 2). They have put a small foam strip on the contact side of the prop. there are many posts taking about this. I have copied a few for you to read.

Many thanks!  As indicated in the video, it is actually only the rear right prop making the noise...  Having said that, I do not think the issue is the prop, but rather the protruding part on top of the motor as the other "red dot" prop (l/front) has much less "rattle" but the same "rattle" when switched to the r/left.  Again, bloody shame on DJI for this - it is their %^^ expensive flagship!

Unless the "new" props are made stronger / better, I'll put some foam in my current ones myself.  I also used some layers of contact rubber solution to line the inside of the "red dot" props to try and fill up the gap.

Question:  Is the replacement props better / made of another material or just made to better specs??  (I can swear that I somewhere read that the I2 has carbon props??)
2017-1-31
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-1-31 00:27
This happened for the Inspire 1 too. Its not a biggie. I've been applying some adhesive tape without any bother. You'll enjoy the I2 in the air. Its sooo stable.

Yep - it is rather surprisingly stable! I flew it in some windy conditions yesterday and I must say it handled the wind well.  It is also quieter than my P4 P!!  Once up to about 10m or so it is really quiet.
2017-1-31
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-1-31 03:10
Yep - it is rather surprisingly stable! I flew it in some windy conditions yesterday and I must say it handled the wind well.  It is also quieter than my P4 P!!  Once up to about 10m or so it is really quiet.

The quieter flight (it does depend on where you are relative to the craft) is a result of the larger props allowing for slower RPM's for the same lift. This also gives the I2 better flight endurance compared to the !1.
2017-1-31
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-1-31 03:06
Many thanks!  As indicated in the video, it is actually only the rear right prop making the noise...  Having said that, I do not think the issue is the prop, but rather the protruding part on top of the motor as the other "red dot" prop (l/front) has much less "rattle" but the same "rattle" when switched to the r/left.  Again, bloody shame on DJI for this - it is their %^^ expensive flagship!

Unless the "new" props are made stronger / better, I'll put some foam in my current ones myself.  I also used some layers of contact rubber solution to line the inside of the "red dot" props to try and fill up the gap.

The props are made of a different mix of materials relative to the I1. They are noticeably stiffer.
2017-1-31
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-1-30 21:43
Hey I2

and another.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-82210-1-1.html
2017-1-31
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-1-31 07:45
The props are made of a different mix of materials relative to the I1. They are noticeably stiffer.

Much appreciated - thanks!!
2017-1-31
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

Coigreach Posted at 2017-1-31 07:56
and another.

Much appreciated - thanks!!
2017-1-31
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-1-31 07:45

Thanks MTC for the information. I am sure that DJI took the extra power of the new Inspire 2 into consideration when designing the new props.  Looks like their suppliers messed up on the sprcs a little.

Not worried as they will get these things ironed out

your friend
Rich
2017-1-31
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-1-31 03:06

I 2,
Not to worry, as I believe these issues are only regarding the tolerance between the prop and the hub itself not the strength of the prop. The motors are very robust and much stronger than the Inspire 1 V2. So with all of that power the newly design props will handle it. The Inspire 2 came with an extra set of props, set try these and see if you can find some tight fitting Red props.

So, in the short run, you can take the play from the prop and prop hub by adding a small piece of tape or foam, just enough to hold it tight... (don't over do it)

Please note that some of us had this issue with the Inspire 1 V2 when they came out with the new 1345T setup.  It was worked out pretty fast and I can say that it has been a very reliable system.

All the best
Rich  
2017-1-31
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Coigreach Posted at 2017-1-31 07:56
and another.

Yes, I couldn't find this one fast enough for my reply,  thanks for adding it to the mix
Cheers
Rich
2017-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules