Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
H264 Conversion Problems
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GTrusco
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi folks,

I've tried Handbrake and Miro and neither seem to do a lot in terms of converting my repaired (succesfully) videos to MP4, Handbrake crashes halfway and Miro doesnt seem to do anything!

Can I pay someone to download these files for me and do it (if possible, I don't believe they are corrupt files)

Thanks

Garth
2017-1-31
Use props
Daroga
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Garth,
Which Phantom are you flying and using for filming?
The Phantom series will record H264 (MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)) compressed video into either a MP4 container or an MOV container.
What media are you trying to convert and what codec/media format are you trying to convert it to?
2017-2-2
Use props
GTrusco
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Daroga Posted at 2017-2-2 12:39
Hi Garth,
Which Phantom are you flying and using for filming?
The Phantom series will record H264 (MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)) compressed video into either a MP4 container or an MOV container.

Hi there

I'm using P3advanced - various MOV files had corrupted, [probably putting this down to using the Sandisk pro card] - I thus followed forum advice and recovered various videos with DJIFIX.exe and these are now sat as .h264 files.

Thanks
2017-2-7
Use props
Daroga
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GTrusco Posted at 2017-2-7 03:42
Hi there

I'm using P3advanced - various MOV files had corrupted,  - I thus followed forum advice and recovered various videos with DJIFIX.exe and these are now sat as .h264 files.

The original DJIFix, by Finlayson, was recently updated on 8 Dec 2016. His download site along with open source code is avalible by clicking on this link.

As he notes, the resulting .264 file can be played in VLC (VideoLAN is a opensource project that can be downloaded by clicking on this link), but will need to be transcoded back into a MOV or MP4 container if you want broader video player compatability.

The problem with Handbrake and several other programs is that the settings must closely match the original recording. Notice that the later versions of DJI-Fix actually ask your for recording format settings. Find a good video from around the same timeframe; right-click and look at the properties to help identify the format/size.

You may use the convert feature of VideoLAN to transcode the H254 to MP4 or MOV. The procedure is as follows:
  • Open VLC; Select Media menu and then select Convert / Save
  • On the File Tab, click Add. A file browser opens; navigate to selec your damaged MP4/MOV
  • Click at the bottom on the Convert / Save button; a setting dialog will open
  • It defaults to streaming the h264 into a MP4 container. It will also add an empty MP3 audio track, doubling the size of the recovered MP4 file.

Often, the recorded video will simply contain ZEROS which means that the file can't be recovered. DJI-FIX will tell you if your file has no recoverable recordings in it .

As his notes state, you may also use the commandline utility FFMPEG to convert the recovered h264 file. There are plenty of geek tutorials on using the very powerful FFMPEG utility. (copy this inactive link to your browser address bar for one such video -> https://youtu.be/vev95okTo70)

Luis J. has taken the original DJI-Fix utility and re-coded it with a GUI. His package is a little more inclusive but he does not share his code. He calls his utility FIX-DJI and the current version as of this post is 4.1. It can be downloaded by clicking on this link. He also has a tutorial video that you may view by clicking here.

His utility is similar but asks for either a good video to determine the format settings or your may choose them like DJI-FIX. It runs three phases and will actually convert the recovered video to both MP4 and MOV for you.

As with any downloaded software from the internet, be careful where you download it from and always take adequate precautions just as scannng it for virus, etc.

P.S. If you want to share your files via dropbox or other file sharing methodology, I'll be glad to attempt recovery for you. PM me as you wish....

2017-2-7
Use props
Daroga
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GTrusco Posted at 2017-2-7 03:42
Hi there

I'm using P3advanced - various MOV files had corrupted,  - I thus followed forum advice and recovered various videos with DJIFIX.exe and these are now sat as .h264 files.

Your suspicions are confirmed. Your SD card wasn’t fast enough for the 2.7K video at 30fps. As you stated, 2.7k requires at least Class 10 or UHS-1 rated SD cards up to 64GB.

I transcoded your repaired H264 file to MOV & MP4 using both FIX-DJI and FFMPEG. Both are missing little gaps where no data was written because of the SD card. The FIX_DJI videos are a little more forgiving, while the FFMPEG is total brute force and shows every frame within the recovered h264 stream.  The below FFMPEG screenshot shows the little empty gaps during the transcoing session. Each line in the screenshot is a break in the stream. Your recovered videos have been uploaded to dropbox.

Poor_SD_Card.png
2017-2-8
Use props
GTrusco
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Daroga Posted at 2017-2-8 11:46
Your suspicions are confirmed. Your SD card wasn’t fast enough for the 2.7K video at 30fps. As you stated, 2.7k requires at least Class 10 or UHS-1 rated SD cards up to 64GB.

I transcoded your repaired H264 file to MOV & MP4 using both FIX-DJI and FFMPEG. Both are missing little gaps where no data was written because of the SD card. The FIX_DJI videos are a little more forgiving, while the FFMPEG is total brute force and shows every frame within the recovered h264 stream.  The below FFMPEG screenshot shows the little empty gaps during the transcoing session. Each line in the screenshot is a break in the stream. Your recovered videos have been uploaded to dropbox.

Thanks everso much! What do I owe you!?

This is what i have now https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prod ... ;smid=AZSR40NZ6UYCN
2017-2-8
Use props
GTrusco
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Daroga Posted at 2017-2-8 11:46

p.s. the link in the dropbox chat was null, can you re link me please!
2017-2-8
Use props
Daroga
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GTrusco Posted at 2017-2-8 13:10
Thanks everso much! What do I owe you!?

This is what i have now https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012PLTLVK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AZSR40NZ6UYCN

Always an opportunity to learn!!! The 633x is what DJI ships with the aircraft. It should do nicely.
PM'd the Dropbox folder link...
2017-2-8
Use props
Maxwhiteuv
lvl.3

United States

If you have any problems converting  any video including 4K/HD  to MP4 or convert other videos, you can use the professional Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac to help you solve that issue.

2017-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules