Battery Maintenance
748 5 2017-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Laperouse
lvl.1

Australia

My P3 Advanced has an option to specify the number of days to discharge. I understand that the DJI batteries last longer if kept discharged when stored.

Q1. Suppose I specify three days. When exactly does it start to discharge? Immediately? On the last day? Is it smart enough to know: I take four hours to discharge so I will start four hours before the end of day three?

Q2. In the absence of any information, I assume this does not apply to the remote controller which should be stored fully charged. Is that correct?

2017-1-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Once auto discharge begins, it may take several days to finish. It doesn't discharge in four hours.

The RC can be left fully charged.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-31
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Three days is a good setting, that's what I use. It starts to discharge on day three, and takes a few days to get it done. For me, the RC is store where ever I left it at when lasted used, that's somewhere between 25% and 100%, never zero.
2017-1-31
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Be sure not to check your battery to see if it's auto discharging because if you do, the three-day period of waiting resets and starts again from the beginning.  

Ex)  On Monday it's at 100% and you aren't able to fly but you know it will begin discharging in three days.

On Thursday you check it by pressing the battery button and you see it's at 100%,

On Sunday you check it by pressing the battery button and you see it's at 100%,

On Tuesday you check it by pressing the battery button and you see it's at 100%,

... and so on.  

Q2:  There's no maintenance plan for the controller battery.  Sure, you could make one up if you wanted to, and it might help a little, but nobody ever bothers.  And there's no reason to store it fully charged since you can get dozens of flights from one charge.  I just leave mine alone until it gets down to one green lamp and then I charge it up.  

Hope this helps.

2017-1-31
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

I leave mine at 7 days and have never had a problem with a battery and I have 7 P4s and 5 P3s (bats that is)

I once had a Lypo from Yuneec on the H that I left fully charged (they are not 'smart' and won't discharge themselves) and it was fully charged for about 3 months because honestly, I forgot I had the battery and it works just fine and is not bloated or anything.

I am not recommending this! Lol.  But I think sometimes we can get a little carried away with the battery maintenance IMHO.  3, 5, 7 days is all fine.  Things to be most concerned with is never bring a battery more than 50% charged on a plane for obvious reasons and never let a battery stay for more than a week or so at full and NEVER on empty.  Completely empty is how you will shorten the life of the battery the quickest.

I don't want to sound like it's unimportant because it most certainly is.
2017-1-31
Use props
Laperouse
lvl.1

Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-1-31 12:24
Be sure not to check your battery to see if it's auto discharging because if you do, the three-day period of waiting resets and starts again from the beginning.  

Ex)  On Monday it's at 100% and you aren't able to fly but you know it will begin discharging in three days.

Great help thanks !
2017-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules