Looking to upgrade from IPhone 6 to a tablet
1555 22 2017-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
newman0912
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3428 ft
United States

Hi.  I've looked at the list of devices to use with the DJI Go app and my P3S.

Right now, I have an I Phone 6S.
According to the list in 'Phantom Help', my phone has an A9 processor.
If I upgrade to an I Pad Mini 2, it lists the processor as an A7, and it says that GPS is optional.
This I Pad Mini 2 would be a great improvement to flying compared to the tiny screen I look at with my I Phone 6.
I just want to make sure that this has everything I need to fly, and that it will be just as good as my I Phone when it comes to a good, video display that doesn't lag.
Can anyone help me wiht some advice?
As I understand it, all I need is an I Pad that has WiFi, I do not need cellular option, but do I need GPS as an option?

I think you know what I"m looking for.

Thanks.

2017-1-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The iPads have cellular capability as an option, but the GPS is included, so a WiFi only iPad has no GPS, while a cellular version does have GPS. While you do not need cellular, you may or may not want the GPS option, if you want to use the Follow Me function or be able to set the Home Location to the current position of the iPad and RC unit. Those functions need a GPS equipped tablet.

BTW, you will get the best performance from an A8 equipped tablet with the M8 motion co-processor, so a Mini 4 or Air 2 will work better than the Mini 2.
2017-1-31
Use props
newman0912
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3428 ft
United States

Thanks Geebax, that's good information.
2017-1-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Have an iPad Air2 Cellular for my dedicated device, and it's awesome. The larger screen makes everything much easier to see and to adjust.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-31
Use props
flyingkilt
New

United States

I've stayed up 'til 2:30 a.m. for the past 3 nights researching which is the best tablet for my new Phantom 3 Standard.  Even though it is really expensive, and costs WAAYY more than the initial cost of the quadcopter itself, I just ordered a 256GB WiFi & Cellular iPad Pro--(9.7 inches ― A9X chip) from Verizon, which will be here in a few days. The iPad Pro is one of the so-called "approved" devices listed on this phantompilots.com forum link: http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... -with-dji-go.48525/  We shall see how it goes. Is anyone else using this as a monitor for their DJI Phantom 3 Standard?
2017-2-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

flyingkilt@yaho Posted at 2017-2-2 20:41
I've stayed up 'til 2:30 a.m. for the past 3 nights researching which is the best tablet for my new Phantom 3 Standard.  Even though it is really expensive, and costs WAAYY more than the initial cost of the quadcopter itself, I just ordered a 256GB WiFi & Cellular iPad Pro--(9.7 inches ― A9X chip) from Verizon, which will be here in a few days. The iPad Pro is one of the so-called "approved" devices listed on this phantompilots.com forum link: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/tablets-and-phones-that-work-well-with-dji-go.48525/  We shall see how it goes. Is anyone else using this as a monitor for their DJI Phantom 3 Standard?

An expensive option, but it will outlive the drone, and still be available for your next drone. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2017-2-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

flyingkilt@yaho Posted at 2017-2-2 20:41
I've stayed up 'til 2:30 a.m. for the past 3 nights researching which is the best tablet for my new Phantom 3 Standard.  Even though it is really expensive, and costs WAAYY more than the initial cost of the quadcopter itself, I just ordered a 256GB WiFi & Cellular iPad Pro--(9.7 inches ― A9X chip) from Verizon, which will be here in a few days. The iPad Pro is one of the so-called "approved" devices listed on this phantompilots.com forum link: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/tablets-and-phones-that-work-well-with-dji-go.48525/  We shall see how it goes. Is anyone else using this as a monitor for their DJI Phantom 3 Standard?

Like RedHotPoker mentioned, this tablet has been working well for customers across various DJI products, but it is expensive. If you want something 'future proof', sort of speak, then that would be a great option.
2017-2-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Geebax pretty much hit the nail on the head.
2017-2-3
Use props
Dav 0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 277585 ft

I'm more than happy with my iPhone 7 plus. Good processing, good screen, and big enough for detail and fiddly icons.  Makes calls too! (Although that's not always a plus)
2017-2-3
Use props
GeorgeR
lvl.2

United States

I hate to buy a new iPad Pro a few months before the new iPad Pro 2 WiFi/Cellular model starts shipping. I have a few options and will likely use my iPhone 7+ while I wait but had a couple questions on additional options I could consider.
Can I use the 12.9" iPad Pro? My wife has a WiFi only model I could borrow for a few months if there is a way to hold it.

How would a Apple iPad Air MD786LL/A 9.7-Inch 32 GB work in the interim?

I assume my iPhone 7+ is the answer but thought I would ask.

Thank you.
2017-2-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

GeorgeR Posted at 2017-2-3 18:57
I hate to buy a new iPad Pro a few months before the new iPad Pro 2 WiFi/Cellular model starts shipping. I have a few options and will likely use my iPhone 7+ while I wait but had a couple questions on additional options I could consider.
Can I use the 12.9" iPad Pro? My wife has a WiFi only model I could borrow for a few months if there is a way to hold it.

If you have interest in the next new iPad, wait for it. Use the iphone or your wife's device in the mean time. There are brackets that will hold even the largest iPad available. So there are always options to get you airborne.

Waiting so long already, on the iPad Air3 128gb Cellular, I finally gave up...

More than Happy that the Air2 Cellular is so worthy...

RedHotPoker
2017-2-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-3 11:16
Like RedHotPoker mentioned, this tablet has been working well for customers across various DJI products, but it is expensive. If you want something 'future proof', sort of speak, then that would be a great option.

Curious what the DJI pros use!! What about you, what I did you choose, for your dedicated device?

Tell all. . .

RedHotPoker
2017-2-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-3 19:45
Curious what the DJI pros use!! What about you, what I did you choose, for your dedicated device?

Tell all. . .

I'm actually more of an Android user. I've got a S6 Edge at the moment, but I'm looking into investing in my first iOS in years with an iPad Pro 9.7inch. It's been difficult to jump onto the iOS bandwagon for the longest time.
2017-2-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-3 22:08
I'm actually more of an Android user. I've got a S6 Edge at the moment, but I'm looking into investing in my first iOS in years with an iPad Pro 9.7inch. It's been difficult to jump onto the iOS bandwagon for the longest time.

OH, I see. So you're on that "other" team. ;-)

Eh, this is cool, but when you switch sides, please put your shirt back on, ok? Hahaha
I think once you become an Apple regular, the differences may be quite noticeable. Atleast that would be the ultimate reason for change. Upgrade to a better system. May I please ask, why you are considering changing up, to an Apple device? What differences would you expect to experience, improvements, any significant changes, overall? Just wondering, since Apple has been my go to device, since the beginning.
But I often think about, what those dissimilarities may entail. Do you want to try the iPad for anything important?

RedHotPoker
2017-2-3
Use props
SITKAMICK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 561411 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-31 20:12
The iPads have cellular capability as an option, but the GPS is included, so a WiFi only iPad has no GPS, while a cellular version does have GPS. While you do not need cellular, you may or may not want the GPS option, if you want to use the Follow Me function or be able to set the Home Location to the current position of the iPad and RC unit. Those functions need a GPS equipped tablet.

BTW, you will get the best performance from an A8 equipped tablet with the M8 motion co-processor, so a Mini 4 or Air 2 will work better than the Mini 2.

I am presently using a mini 3 with cell and it works fine in any of the functions. You can get some decent buys online at ebay.
2017-2-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-3 22:43
OH, I see. So you're on that "other" team. ;-)

Eh, this is cool, but when you switch sides, please put your shirt back on, ok? Hahaha

Well, I couldn't be an Apple scrooge for much longer given my current profession, I figured I'd give the it a proper chance. I tried them out early on, and didn't really like the execution of Apple Maps, Safari etc. Google did it better when they came out and I just stuck with them since. I've 'played' around with them since, but never really felt the need to pull the trigger on dropping that kind of money. I don't expect that the interface itself will blow my mind, since Android and Apple have been emulating each other in one form or another. I am looking forward to experiencing more of the graphics and the creative aspects that Apple is claiming it's more geared for, especially with the Adobe Creative Suite.

2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-4 10:21
Well, I couldn't be an Apple scrooge for much longer given my current profession, I figured I'd give the it a proper chance. I tried them out early on, and didn't really like the execution of Apple Maps, Safari etc. Google did it better when they came out and I just stuck with them since. I've 'played' around with them since, but never really felt the need to pull the trigger on dropping that kind of money. I don't expect that the interface itself will blow my mind, since Android and Apple have been emulating each other in one form or another. I am looking forward to experiencing more of the graphics and the creative aspects that Apple is claiming it's more geared for, especially with the Adobe Creative Suite.

I think you will be more than pleased with your iPad acquisition. The only real difference is shirts and skins, baby... Haha
Since you are in the know, far more than us hobbiests, perhaps this is a good time to ask you a few simple basic questions about the DJI  apps.  Please explain to me, why both versions of the regular Phantom 3 Go app aren't identical twins? How come Android gets to keep battery life? Why didn't the Android version have the flight SIMulator all along? When the new versions of the app get released, why aren't they put out at the same time? There seems to be several differences and timing delays, one over the other, which only  alienates the two teams. Yet we all fly the same drones. That differentiation doesn't always seem fair to me, so I have pondered these variances many times over. How come I need to borrow an Android device to check my battery life. Please bring that option back to our iOS app?
I hate to be a pest, but we should have more similarity, and less devision amongs us. ;-)
We are, after all, only equals. Am I asking too much, for so little?
Inquiring minds need to know. Ha
If you can't answer, then I completely understand your position.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-4 11:22
I think you will be more than pleased with your iPad acquisition. The only real difference is shirts and skins, baby... Haha
Since you are in the know, far more than us hobbiests, perhaps this is a good time to ask you a few simple basic questions about the DJI  apps.  Please explain to me, why both versions of the regular Phantom 3 Go app aren't identical twins? How come Android gets to keep battery life? Why didn't the Android version have the flight SIMulator all along? When the new versions of the app get released, why aren't they put out at the same time? There seems to be several differences and timing delays, one over the other, which only  alienates the two teams. Yet we all fly the same drones. That differentiation doesn't always seem fair to me, so I have pondered these variances many times over. How come I need to borrow an Android device to check my battery life. Please bring that option back to our iOS app?
I hate to be a pest, but we should have more similarity, and less devision amongs us. ;-)

Honestly, I couldn't really tell you why one app seems to have more or slightly different options than the other. There was a point where Android would get features that iOS didn't. I can only really speculate, but I would think it's can be due to the level of difficulty for developing between the two OS. I'm not a programmer, so it all seems hard to me.

In my own experience, I've seen the same discrepancies when I've worked with Adobe programs. Apple seems to have far more functionality and essentially more 'bells and whistles' compared to it's Windows counterpart. Not all hardware/software is every really created equally, unfortunately, so maybe it takes longer to establish a function on one OS than another. That's my take on it, anyway.
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-4 11:51
Honestly, I couldn't really tell you why one app seems to have more or slightly different options than the other. There was a point where Android would get features that iOS didn't. I can only really speculate, but I would think it's can be due to the level of difficulty for developing between the two OS. I'm not a programmer, so it all seems hard to me.

In my own experience, I've seen the same discrepancies when I've worked with Adobe programs. Apple seems to have far more functionality and essentially more 'bells and whistles' compared to it's Windows counterpart. Not all hardware/software is every really created equally, unfortunately, so maybe it takes longer to establish a function on one OS than another. That's my take on it, anyway.

I find it ironic, Microsoft/Windows has been sending out updates and security fixes weekly, where Apple gives us a major update maybe every 4-6 months. Seems like Apple has their sh!t together.

As far as Android, I have no experience, but the differences in our apps seems weird, rather strange.
Aren't the same programmers working together, in unison. Why would there ever be any differences?
As you stated, one doesn't reflect the other. But they should, or perhaps could of.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-4 12:28
I find it ironic, Microsoft/Windows has been sending out updates and security fixes weekly, where Apple gives us a major update maybe every 4-6 months. Seems like Apple has their sh!t together.

As far as Android, I have no experience, but the differences in our apps seems weird, rather strange.

That's because Apple have maybe 8 applications to update, whereas Windows potentially has hundreds. Many professionals have given up on Apple since they stopped making high spec computers for the creatives.
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-4 12:41
That's because Apple have maybe 8 applications to update, whereas Windows potentially has hundreds. Many professionals have given up on Apple since they stopped making high spec computers for the creatives.

Geoff, One thing that I have often admired about Mac computers, it's all in one. The tower is within the monitor. Making for a much neater package. Monitor with webcam, keyboard and mouse. That's it.

I'm surprised they haven't included a printer in there too. Haha

Yes, I get the 100-8 differences. That does make for many more potential security issues.
Darn those guys writing virus programs...  Shame on them. Trojan horse jockeys.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
flyingkilt
New

United States

I finally ordered a 256 GB iPad Pro with WiFi & Cellular from my carrier, Verizon, and it'll be here in 2 days! Hot dang!!!
2017-2-6
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Have been in the Apple camp for quite a long time. I do like using their products for image processing and the Adobe Suite works well with Apple.

Over recent years they have started to decline. I think it was when the iPhone became so popular that they have moved into the popularist market and dropped the high end stuff. It was well under way when they ditched Aperture for the abysmal Photos. I was looking to update my Macbook Pro this year as my current machine in now 5 years old. Looks like I will have to wait a bit longer. They dropped the 17" display soon after I got mine and now they have released that horrible thing that they dare to call a Pro machine which needs a small truck load of cash to buy.

I have even thought of getting a Windoze machine but the thought  makes me queasy. They are worse than Hemorrhoids.
2017-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules