Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
From P-GPS Mode to P-ATTI Mode? Question
2854 9 2017-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
delcodrones
lvl.3
Flight distance : 440367 ft

United States

Hello,

Just wondering about this. I was flying the Inspire 1 over a large abandoned building in P-GPS mode at one point the Inspire is approaching a blind spot it's over the building and I can just see it barely, upon turning around and heading back the GO app says ATTI mode. This seems to happen every so often. Does this mean that I have lost GPS or that the unit has switched to ATTI mode?  It goes back to P-GPS Mode. Thanks for any clarification.   

2017-2-1
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Based on your information, the Inspire 1 is losing GPS connection to the satellites. When this happens look at the Go App and see if you drop below 7 connected sats at the time you hear the warning. Not sure why the building is causing the interference but, it can happen from time to time.
If you are connected to and have the GPS updated on the map, before you start your motors and take off,  put your hand on top of the Inspire. You should hear Atti-mode because it covers the GPS module which causes interference using your body.

This is normal and sometimes resetting the IMU and compass will help in certain areas with high interference.
Hope that helps

Rich
2017-2-1
Use props
delcodrones
lvl.3

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-2-1 15:41
Based on your information, the Inspire 1 is losing GPS connection to the satellites. When this happens look at the Go App and see if you drop below 7 connected sats at the time you hear the warning. Not sure why the building is causing the interference but, it can happen from time to time.
If you are connected to and have the GPS updated on the map, before you start your motors and take off,  put your hand on top of the Inspire. You should hear Atti-mode because it covers the GPS module which causes interference using your body.

Hi Rich,  Must be I lost it for a short time, there are about 10 large 40'+ foot steel smokestacks on top of the building don't  know if they caused the issue but was and urban area. When you say reset the IMU and compass are you referring to recalibrating them? Thanks

2017-2-1
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

delcodrones Posted at 2017-2-1 16:49
Hi Rich,  Must be I lost it for a short time, there are about 10 large 40'+ foot steel smokestacks on top of the building don't  know if they caused the issue but was and urban area. When you say reset the IMU and compass are you referring to recalibrating them? Thanks

Yes I'm sorry, Recalibrate the IMU on a level surface (at home in a controlled environment) and the compass. Make sure no metal on your person or in the ground around you when you do the compass.

Yah, you can delete the other reply's...  go to additional options above the save button and hit delete post.

Rich
2017-2-1
Use props
delcodrones
lvl.3

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-2-1 17:05
Yes I'm sorry, Recalibrate the IMU on a level surface (at home in a controlled environment) and the compass. Make sure no metal on your person or in the ground around you when you do the compass.

Very Cool Thanks
2017-2-1
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You are welcome and please report back if you see any changes or additional related information.

Enjoy your Inspire 1

Rich
2017-2-1
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

The I2 will switch to ATTI if the compass has issues caused by interference. I had similar situation and ran a check on the DAT file afterwards. The DAT showed 13 GPS sats but showed an error on the compass. At the time i was close a large warehouse. I dont worry too much as long as it reverts to p- mode after a few seconds.

I did do a recalibration of the compass in a wide open space football pitch since then and have even flown the same route since then with no issues.  I think the sensitivity of the compass needs to be fully considered and calibration done in an area where NO risk of metal or other influences are there.
2017-2-1
Use props
KA Photo
New

United States

I began having this problem while running missions in DroneDeploy and Map Pilot. Testing with the GO app and reviewing the logs I noticed that the error occured during a rapid yaw. Calibrating the compass in a field and no mobile devices within 10 feet and calibrating the IMU on a level surface has completely removed the error. Thanks to all on this forum who helped!
2017-2-2
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

KA Photo Posted at 2017-2-2 10:03
I began having this problem while running missions in DroneDeploy and Map Pilot. Testing with the GO app and reviewing the logs I noticed that the error occured during a rapid yaw. Calibrating the compass in a field and no mobile devices within 10 feet and calibrating the IMU on a level surface has completely removed the error. Thanks to all on this forum who helped!

Great news.. Sometimes flying near metal structures will cause some issues with the compass. You can minimize this with a good clean calibration!

All the best
Rich
2017-2-3
Use props
delcodrones
lvl.3

United States

There is not much "Clean" open area for compass calibration in this place but it did bounce back into P-GPS within a few seconds
abandoned building
Thanks for assistance I will keep you posted
2017-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules