Focus issue. IMU calibration fixes...reverts
1437 7 2017-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KBernSCLI
New

United States

Yesterday I flew my new mavic for the first time.  Flew like a champ, but my pics and video were all out of focus but for a small circle on the left bottom of the image (tried tap to focus everywhere, auto camera settings) .  The lens appears to be off center in the camera housing a little bit to the left (when looking from the front).   I calibrated the gimbal, and it still had the issue.

I found a youtube video that described the same issue, and that the fix is an IMU calibration and resetting of camera settings.  I did all of this and sure enough...it worked.  I got some great pics and video, all super crisp.

However,  I put the mavic up again this am for a few minutes and had the same focus issue.   Took a few pics and a video, same pinhole area of focus in bottom left....  I repeated IMU calibration and the camera focuses properly again...

I shouldn't have to do this before each flight.....Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for any help.
IMG_1486.jpg
IMG_1515.jpg
2017-2-1
Use props
KBernSCLI
New

United States

After IMU calibration
Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 4.46.18 PM.jpg
2017-2-1
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

Wow. I never would've thought the IMU would have anything to do with the camera's focus. Definitely looks like the lens isn't properly aligned with the sensor, giving you that thin line of a focal plane. When you fixed the issue the second time, was it just the IMU calibration that you did, or did you also reset the camera settings?

It could also just be a coincidence that it gets fixed when you do the IMU calibration. Maybe turning the Mavic over just kind of moved the lens back into place temporarily.
2017-2-1
Use props
KBernSCLI
New

United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-1 08:04
Wow. I never would've thought the IMU would have anything to do with the camera's focus. Definitely looks like the lens isn't properly aligned with the sensor, giving you that thin line of a focal plane. When you fixed the issue the second time, was it just the IMU calibration that you did, or did you also reset the camera settings?

It could also just be a coincidence that it gets fixed when you do the IMU calibration. Maybe turning the Mavic over just kind of moved the lens back into place temporarily.

Today, after I flew with the same problem,   I first tried resetting camera settings with no fix, then gimbal calibration, no fix.  then IMU and it was able to focus.  

2017-2-1
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

KBernSCLI Posted at 2017-2-1 08:47
Today, after I flew with the same problem,   I first tried resetting camera settings with no fix, then gimbal calibration, no fix.  then IMU and it was able to focus.

Strangers things have happened when you least expect it...  

Good for you... I always say before mailing it back to DJI after exhausting all scenerios try calibrating IMU, COMPASS, GIMBAL...
2017-2-1
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

Holy crap! An IMU calibration fixed that? I'd love to hear from DJI what the correlation is between the IMU and this issue.Seems bazaar.
2017-2-1
Use props
KBernSCLI
New

United States

Jdwyier Posted at 2017-2-1 17:16
Holy crap! An IMU calibration fixed that? I'd love to hear from DJI what the correlation is between the IMU and this issue.Seems bazaar.

Maybe jason Lane has a good point.  All the turning around during IMU (and gimbal movement) realigns the lens....

I was able to fix it twice doing this and it reverted back.  Will power up and check again today to see if it's still focused. Definitely not a tap to focus issue....  

If it's off again today, I'll have to send back.   Will update.

IMG_1539.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
2017-2-2
Use props
fans3e674888
New
Flight distance : 24738 ft
Sweden

I'm having the exact same issue.. Any updates on this?
2018-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules