All the best
Rich
2017-2-1
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Wow , what a jerk , they both have the right to be there , some simple communication would have been in order rather than shooting the aircraft .  What if a low flying Cessna would have flown in the area , wonder if he thought that fair game too.

thanks for sharing

donnie
2017-2-2
Use props
raven4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 86194 ft
United States

That's illegal. report it to the FAA
2017-2-2
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
United States

Although the I2 owner may want to cut this guy some slack, his punishment will set the tone for how people will behave in the future.  Come down hard on the guy and then people may think twice before shooting.  A slap on the wrist and it will be open season on UAVs.  Legalities aside, the guy should definitely pay for replacement.
2017-2-2
Use props
DarrenE
lvl.2
United Kingdom

legalities aside, it's pretty impressive the craft survived so much abuse.

I do hope DJI honour the care refresh for James in this case as, leaving the circumstance involved aside it's a good advert for the resilience and  reliability of their flagship product..
2017-2-2
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-2 04:53
Wow , what a jerk , they both have the right to be there , some simple communication would have been in order rather than shooting the aircraft .  What if a low flying Cessna would have flown in the area , wonder if he thought that fair game too.

thanks for sharing

This is a good point Donnie, but peoples perception of UAV's are they are annoying surveillance toys not aircraft. Hopefully this will come out as the situation unfolds. The general public needs to be educated that a UAV is personal property and not fair game.  Which of coarse leads to all of us that fly, need to fly responsibly within the rules of the land.

All the best
Rich
2017-2-2
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Alastair Posted at 2017-2-2 07:12
Although the I2 owner may want to cut this guy some slack, his punishment will set the tone for how people will behave in the future.  Come down hard on the guy and then people may think twice before shooting.  A slap on the wrist and it will be open season on UAVs.  Legalities aside, the guy should definitely pay for replacement.

I agree with you  in the spirit of fighting back. I think that somehow we would be better served with teaching the general pubic that laws are for everyone. Again, this is not a toy... it is someone's personal property flying in the air and not fair game.

Thanks for commenting
Rich
2017-2-2
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DarrenE Posted at 2017-2-2 09:22
legalities aside, it's pretty impressive the craft survived so much abuse.

I do hope DJI honour the care refresh for James in this case as, leaving the circumstance involved aside it's a good advert for the resilience and  reliability of their flagship product..

Agree, I was amazed it survived and was able to complete the mission. The magnesium body parts are definitely more robust than the plastic ones.

Thanks for your comments
Rich
2017-2-2
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Hi Rich - I think this story make its rounds some time ago on this forum. The flyer probably could have done himself / herself a favour by not flying in a hunting ground.
2017-2-2
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-2-2 18:25
Hi Rich - I think this story make its rounds some time ago on this forum. The flyer probably could have done himself / herself a favour by not flying in a hunting ground.

Hi MTC

I guess I missed the first round sorry.  I am sure there is more to this story, but shooting the UAV was not the answer...

How are you liking the I2? do you have any videos to share yet?
All the best
Rich
2017-2-2
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-2-2 20:53
Hi MTC

I guess I missed the first round sorry.  I am sure there is more to this story, but shooting the UAV was not the answer...

The I2 is a lovely aircraft and nice to fly but to be honest, its less flexible than its smaller siblings in terms of transportation and deployment. I have nice example of this in another post and will PM you shortly.

It's really a pro's tool rather than a hobbyist's. Too busy to fly of late so I2 footage will have to wait.

2017-2-2
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-2-2 22:18
The I2 is a lovely aircraft and nice to fly but to be honest, its less flexible than its smaller siblings in terms of transportation and deployment. I have nice example of this in another post and will PM you shortly.

It's really a pro's tool rather than a hobbyist's. Too busy to fly of late so I2 footage will have to wait.

The Mavic is awesome and easy to take around...  I love the way the Inspire 1 flies and cant wait to get the I2      I am not a pro or a hobbyist    I guess I am a drone techie  

Your PM did not come in and could not read the thread.  Please resend  when you get a chance.
All the best
Rich

2017-2-3
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-2-3 09:59
The Mavic is awesome and easy to take around...  I love the way the Inspire 1 flies and cant wait to get the I2      I am not a pro or a hobbyist    I guess I am a drone techie  

Your PM did not come in and could not read the thread.  Please resend  when you get a chance.

Here you go Rich.... PM failed.

2017-2-3
Use props
mercury451
lvl.1
Flight distance : 108743 ft
United States

I liked the goat
2017-2-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Wow, that really sucks. The I2 owner has better patience than most. From what I recall, DJI Care should cover 'act of god' type of scenarios. He may be fine.
2017-2-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

That's a lot of hawks towards the end, pretty neat. The video is nicely done, thanks for sharing.
2017-2-3
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike
I loved your video and I think I spotted you in some of the shots. The goats on the hill were awesome. The hawks were a nice touch too.

Thanks for sharing, I can see why you didn't want to bring your Inspire 2 on this hike!!   How far out did you fly from the point?

try the PM again later

All the best
Rich
2017-2-3
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-3 19:39
Wow, that really sucks. The I2 owner has better patience than most. From what I recall, DJI Care should cover 'act of god' type of scenarios. He may be fine.

Hi Jamie
If the DJI refresh covered this, it would be amazing!  I think the Inspire 2 really held up very well ....to the gun shot all things considered

All the best
Rich  
2017-2-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-2-3 20:31
Hi Jamie
If the DJI refresh covered this, it would be amazing!  I think the Inspire 2 really help up very well considering

I'll see what I can find.
2017-2-3
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-3 19:41
That's a lot of hawks towards the end, pretty neat. The video is nicely done, thanks for sharing.

Those are 'Kea' or New Zealand mountain parrots. Very intelligent and very destructive. Leave your boots outside at night and bye bye... they get chewed up.

The video is on Skypixel and I hope it gets featured as a Mavic / P4P demo.
2017-2-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-2-3 21:53
Those are 'Kea' or New Zealand mountain parrots. Very intelligent and very destructive. Leave your boots outside at night and bye bye... they get chewed up.

The video is on Skypixel and I hope it gets featured as a Mavic / P4P demo.

Thanks for the clarification. Is any material safe? Surely the thick leather variety of boot must give them a challenge.
2017-2-3
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-3 21:57
Thanks for the clarification. Is any material safe? Surely the thick leather variety of boot must give them a challenge.

Keanshoe.jpeg

Answers your question?
(New DJI moderator for people who aren't nice)
2017-2-4
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-2-4 03:36
Answers your question?

Ha ha ha, those NZ mountain parrots knew how to defend their territory!

By chewing up one's boots, it was actually disabling the hiker in the mountain, unless he got a pair of spare boots, or unless he grew up walking with bare feet!

Magnificent scenes in your footages, MTC. Thanks for sharing.

Henry
2017-2-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Answers your question?

Ha! Well, I stand corrected.

I like how it's looking at the camera like "your boot? Nah, not anymore".
2017-2-4
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2017-2-4 04:19
Ha ha ha, those NZ mountain parrots knew how to defend their territory!

By chewing up one's boots, it was actually disabling the hiker in the mountain, unless he got a pair of spare boots, or unless he grew up walking with bare feet!

Thanks Henry and Jamie...
2017-2-4
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Answers your question?

Now that's funny MTC!  

Thanks for sharing the mountain parrot photo, that sucker looks very serious about eating the boots.

Rich
2017-2-4
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

As a pilot, I would of nailed that hunters shorts to a wall.  
2017-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules