Mavic Battery Temp After Use
2243 20 2017-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdd2a126d
lvl.1

United States

Ive been keeping a close eye on my battery since I received a random battery error on rc which immedietly went away. My main question is about battery temperature after use. I was flying outside today, taking it relatively easy, and i noticed after 20 minutes of flight the battery temp registered in at 54.9°C through dji go 4 app. Is this normal? This seems rather excessive. No warnings or errors on screen last two flights. Ambient temperature in St. Pete FL was about 76 today. Thanks in advance.
2017-2-1
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

I've been wondering the same thing, heck I even called and ask about batt temps and I got a scripted response. When my mavic just stopped working in the DAT it shows a huge spike in batt temp and after that a complete meltdown of the drone, so I would love to see this get investigated
2017-2-1
Use props
fansdd2a126d
lvl.1

United States

Drew77 Posted at 2017-2-1 14:04
I've been wondering the same thing, heck I even called and ask about batt temps and I got a scripted response. When my mavic just stopped working in the DAT it shows a huge spike in batt temp and after that a complete meltdown of the drone, so I would love to see this get investigated

Do you know the temperature that was reached?
2017-2-1
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

I'm not exactly sure from the graph but it spiked very high I'll try to get a picture
IMG_0841.JPG
2017-2-1
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

Sorry not the best picture and I already sent the drone to be looked at but you can see the big spike
2017-2-1
Use props
fansdd2a126d
lvl.1

United States

I really haven't witnessed a spike that great, that wasn't a firmware issue that recorded that like that was it? Was there any physical damage to the AC?
2017-2-1
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

That is with the latest firmware
I have a post below this one Mavic shutdown during flight take a look would love some input
2017-2-1
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

So that's about 130F

I did an indoor test last week at 70F room temps.  After 10 minutes my temps appeared to be stabilizing at about 80F when measured externally (bottom left pic) so that seems high based on my experience.

I know Lipos can get hot (e.g. my Traxxas RC) but I've never experienced that type of heat with my Mavic battery.  One thing I noticed about the Mavic battery unit is that the temps vary significantly across the pack.  I'm not sure where the Mavic reads its temps from.  Did the battery feel like 130F?

Thermal_10 Minutes.JPG
2017-2-1
Use props
fansdd2a126d
lvl.1

United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-2-1 15:04
So that's about 130F

I did an indoor test last week at 70F room temps.  After 10 minutes my temps appeared to be stabilizing at about 80F when measured externally (bottom left pic) so that seems high based on my experience.

Those are some impressive images. The thing is the bottom of the battery, that sits in the mavics recess, was warm to the touch. The top of the battery wasnt any more warm than the ambient temp. Slightly cool to the touch. Thats what has me confused. But the data on the dji go app read 131°F. From what i can tell anything over 125 hurts the overall batteries life. But its not critical to the point where it could cause a casualty within the battery or unit. I was just wondering if any one else regularly measured the temp through the app. Or if this was a safe operating temp. As it was flying the temperature increase was very steady. Which makes me think that it could eventually get over 150°F if i flew it to within 10% battery charge.
2017-2-1
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

I'm sure any excessive heat to electronics will cause damage or hurt the life of the unit, that's why I'm wondering with mine you can see the line going up then a huge spike, I'm wondering if that spoke cause the drone to melt down, waiting for some kinda of response from dji
2017-2-1
Use props
fansdd2a126d
lvl.1

United States

Drew77 Posted at 2017-2-1 15:28
I'm sure any excessive heat to electronics will cause damage or hurt the life of the unit, that's why I'm wondering with mine you can see the line going up then a huge spike, I'm wondering if that spoke cause the drone to melt down, waiting for some kinda of response from dji

I posted to your post. Forgive me if it isnt much help. I have heard of drones that have battery issues/surges go into a failsafe mode and land directly at the location they are. I forget where i read it but its a built in fail safe incase the battery goes critical/could explode.
2017-2-1
Use props
fansdd2a126d
lvl.1

United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-2-1 15:04
So that's about 130F

And if you dont mind me asking, how did you get those images? Is the temperature super imposed or does the unit take the picture in that way?
2017-2-1
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

fansdd2a126d Posted at 2017-2-1 15:43
And if you dont mind me asking, how did you get those images? Is the temperature super imposed or does the unit take the picture in that way?

The images were taken with a Flir One thermal camera.  It plugs into the iPhone Lightning port and has two cameras - one thermal and one optical.  It then overlays the images.

Since a thermal camera is basically measuring the temp at many points all across the image anyway it has a mode that enables you to see an on-screen temperature reading of the center point of the image.  Really useful tool.

From what you describe I wonder if the heat is essentially trapped on the bottom of the battery where it lies across the chassis, and that is what its being read by the bird.  I'll need to try taking out my battery and reading the underside directly after a flight and see what I get.

I'm used to Lipos getting so hot that I can't hold them, but I haven't experienced that type of heat with a Mavic battery yet.
2017-2-1
Use props
fansdd2a126d
lvl.1

United States

I appreciate the input. I have a feeling that maybe the thermo measurement taken by the drone may not be accurate. If I had other batteries I'd throw one in there and see. But I only have one. Since the Chinese New Year jacked up my order of three batteries and a charging hub that I ordered back on January 12th. Thanks again.
2017-2-1
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

You've definitely made me curious about this.  I'll get back to my home state on Friday and will test temps on the underside of the battery after logging the reading through the Go app.

Hope you get new batteries soon!
2017-2-1
Use props
Mafia16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Same thing happend to 1 of my batteries last week i was flying with a outdoor tempeture pf 29 c and battery was 55 c
2017-2-1
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

The battery has internal temperature monitors and if the temperature exceeds what the battery is rated for it will alarm (as you reported) but since it was instantaneous and did not show a rise and fall in temps, I would consider this an anomaly as it is not feasible to think that the temp could spike so rapidly and drop just as quickly. The heat has to go somewhere......I would start by cleaning the contacts on the battery and the Mavic to ensure it has a good connection and then continue to monitor. The GO app should be able to tell you the battery health under the battery settings.
2017-2-1
Use props
fansdd2a126d
lvl.1

United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-2-1 21:41
The battery has internal temperature monitors and if the temperature exceeds what the battery is rated for it will alarm (as you reported) but since it was instantaneous and did not show a rise and fall in temps, I would consider this an anomaly as it is not feasible to think that the temp could spike so rapidly and drop just as quickly. The heat has to go somewhere......I would start by cleaning the contacts on the battery and the Mavic to ensure it has a good connection and then continue to monitor. The GO app should be able to tell you the battery health under the battery settings.

Not sure if youre replying to the op, or the post with the image, but i did put the battery info on the flight screen. From time to time i noticed the status went from green to yellow. Ive looked around but cant seem to figure out what this means. Ill try my best to post an image when i fly again.
2017-2-2
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I consider 145 degrees f. To be an acceptable high  temperature for any lithium polymer battery. Especially when it's hot out.
2017-2-2
Use props
Milky
lvl.1

United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-2-2 07:59
I consider 145 degrees f. To be an acceptable high  temperature for any lithium polymer battery. Especially when it's hot out.

Thanks for the input. Im not super familiar with this type of battery. But all i can find about temps for the unit is ambient temp for flight. One place i was reading said anything over 125 is not good for the batt, but im assuming there are different thresholds for different units. Thanks again
2017-2-2
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Milky Posted at 2017-2-2 08:51
Thanks for the input. Im not super familiar with this type of battery. But all i can find about temps for the unit is ambient temp for flight. One place i was reading said anything over 125 is not good for the batt, but im assuming there are different thresholds for different units. Thanks again

125F sounds really low.  I'm used to playing 'hot potato' with Li-Po batteries in RCs.  The only failures I've ever had relate to over-discharging.
2017-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules