Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why did my Mavic not respond
12Next >
2448 45 2017-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

hi , I took my mavic for its second flight today. Everything was green and ready to go. I had 15 satellites linked with a strong signal. The mavic is in beginner mode . I started the motors and left it running for a couple of seconds to make sure all the engines sounded the same , as soon as I took off ( very slowly ) to a height of 1m it started drifting to the left quite quickly. I tried to bring it down but instead it rose to approx 3m and started flying directly away from me. I tried to turn it around and stop the forward motion , but nothing worked. The only thing that stopped it was a tree branch! Two propellers down , but at least I recovered the mavic !  Now I'm really nervous to take it out again, can anyone give me any suggestions?
2017-2-1
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Download your flight data to healthydrone.com

You can also check your flight log from the app.

From where did you take off? How windy? Full battery? What type, IOS or Android?

Give us more details...
2017-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 8627812 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can watch your flight back in the app, it will show you the stick movements and if you had any warnings. Good luck..
2017-2-1
Use props
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi , the wind was under 10mph , the battery was full on both the mavic and the controller. I was flying ( or trying to ) in a public park near where I live , I made sure there was no one around. The only thing I hadn't done was calibrate the compass , but the app said it was calibrated !
2017-2-2
Use props
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Screen shot of the app
IMG_3811.PNG
2017-2-2
Use props
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

There was a warning about class d airspace but I had checked the Nats app and it was clear to fly
2017-2-2
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

Play back your flight log in DJI Go, and preferably screen record it and post it here so others can take a look at it. For more in-depth analysis, download the flight logs (.dat files) from your Mavic using DJI Assistant 2.
2017-2-2
Use props
M4BMW
First Officer
United States

Home Point recorded?
2017-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

twh1968 Posted at 2017-2-2 01:52
Hi , the wind was under 10mph , the battery was full on both the mavic and the controller. I was flying ( or trying to ) in a public park near where I live , I made sure there was no one around. The only thing I hadn't done was calibrate the compass , but the app said it was calibrated !

It maybe you had not enough sats and your Ac went into Atti which will immediately cause it to drift on the wind, these details are on your flight log on the dji go 4 app
2017-2-2
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Was there something in front or along side the mavic? Sometimes I take off on my porch and the railings trigger the VPS, it makes it hard to control when the sensors detect something near it.
2017-2-2
Use props
M4BMW
First Officer
United States

Mabey disable the GEO setting would help.
2017-2-2
Use props
UtopianCrew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5213 ft
United States

Possibly the home point was incorrectly set or the controller is very off (calibrate it) also, if you calibrate the imu, i'm pretty sure you have to take the props off
2017-2-2
Use props
ocelot27
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1163894 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did it ask you to calibrate the compass? Did you calibrate the compass correctly for your location?
2017-2-2
Use props
ocelot27
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1163894 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did it ask you to calibrate the compass? Did you calibrate the compass correctly for your location?
2017-2-2
Use props
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

It didn't ask to calibrate the compass. I had 15 satellites locked in with a strong signal and the home point was set accurately . All the info I can seem to get from the flight log is the time and date... 2017-02-01 10:06:19 and the message . The aircraft is in a warning zone (class d ). Fly with caution here. I can't seem to get any other info than that. With the previous ( successful flight )  the only info that's available is the flight time and date then any messages such as camera settings adjusted to active track . Any ideas , because I am now terrified to fly it again
2017-2-2
Use props
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

And there was nothing in front or to the sides. There was a couple of trees in front but over 20ms away and to the left and right.  This is what stopped the mavic as it drifted to the left
2017-2-2
Use props
M4BMW
First Officer
United States

twh1968 Posted at 2017-2-2 07:22
It didn't ask to calibrate the compass. I had 15 satellites locked in with a strong signal and the home point was set accurately . All the info I can seem to get from the flight log is the time and date... 2017-02-01 10:06:19 and the message . The aircraft is in a warning zone (class d ). Fly with caution here. I can't seem to get any other info than that. With the previous ( successful flight )  the only info that's available is the flight time and date then any messages such as camera settings adjusted to active track . Any ideas , because I am now terrified to fly it again

Disable GEO feature.
2017-2-2
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Australia

twh1968 Posted at 2017-2-2 07:22

Are you actually playing back the flight logs in the app? It goes through the whole flight, showing the flight path on the map, altitude, speed, controller inputs (you need to click to show them).
2017-2-2
Use props
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi Jason,
Really sorry but I don't know how to play the flight back . I don't see any option on the screen to play the flight back , can you help ?
2017-2-2
Use props
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Here's a screen shot of all the info I can get from my flight log
IMG_3813.PNG
2017-2-2
Use props
Trent Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1098924 ft
United Kingdom

Flight records are in the Go 4 app. Top right when you open the app, the 3 dashes... flight records.

Also, so many people seem to mention all the time about calibrating compass... YOU DONT NEED TO!!! I've flown 72 flights in a variety of locations within a 20-30 mile radius with my Mavic now and have calibrated the compass once, when I was prompted and that's it
2017-2-2
Use props
Richard Mavic p
lvl.3
Flight distance : 44797 ft
United States

twh1968 Posted at 2017-2-2 11:45
Here's a screen shot of all the info I can get from my flight log

Go out of the camera view. go to the main menu of DJI Go,  right up corner, see 3 lines? hit  that then the 1 st option!
2017-2-2
Use props
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks for that , found the details now! It doesn't really show anything other than the mavic appears to be facing the wrong way ! And you can see where I've applied full left stick down and it's just accelerated away from me ! I'm trying to work out how to share the flight plan
2017-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

twh1968 Posted at 2017-2-2 12:49
Thanks for that , found the details now! It doesn't really show anything other than the mavic appears to be facing the wrong way ! And you can see where I've applied full left stick down and it's just accelerated away from me ! I'm trying to work out how to share the flight plan

High twh just follow instructions on this link might help.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=260008
2017-2-2
Use props
Ela711
New

United States

I just got a new Mavic and my SS S5 would not link up.. I thought it was suppose to be linked via WIFI but not so. Wifi is for wife flying with you cell.. okay I spend hours trying to make the connect  back and forth into setting on my S5 to now avail, so i call DJI told them the problem.. answer.. send it back to us... last time I did that it took 3month before I saw my dji back and inside I resisted. My assistant has the same phone so out of dispare I said Can I borrow your phone. Dump in G4 and  it load right up.. this is the same exact phone I have but it looks like there was a USB driver missing on my phone. Resolution.. gave her $5 and we swapped phone. Wife is for wife and Rc is for Rc and when you connect the double micro usb then talk to each other  with no wifi.. DJI should make that clear... so if  you can't link it up its because you are missing the usb driver.. and must say on the drop down on your cell .. "connect as installer"..Go Fly : )
2017-2-3
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Australia

Ela711 Posted at 2017-2-3 12:48
I just got a new Mavic and my SS S5 would not link up.. I thought it was suppose to be linked via WIFI but not so. Wifi is for wife flying with you cell.. okay I spend hours trying to make the connect  back and forth into setting on my S5 to now avail, so i call DJI told them the problem.. answer.. send it back to us... last time I did that it took 3month before I saw my dji back and inside I resisted. My assistant has the same phone so out of dispare I said Can I borrow your phone. Dump in G4 and  it load right up.. this is the same exact phone I have but it looks like there was a USB driver missing on my phone. Resolution.. gave her $5 and we swapped phone. Wife is for wife and Rc is for Rc and when you connect the double micro usb then talk to each other  with no wifi.. DJI should make that clear... so if  you can't link it up its because you are missing the usb driver.. and must say on the drop down on your cell .. "connect as installer"..Go Fly : )

Did you accidentally reply to the wrong thread? This doesn't seem to be related to this topic...
2017-2-3
Use props
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Can anyone tell me how ( or if it's worthwhile !! ) to report my problem to DJI ? I am no further forward to discovering the cause of my "fly away" and am terrified to try flying again in case it does it again.
2017-2-4
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Flight distance : 2096562 ft
Germany

Trent Mavic Posted at 2017-2-2 12:07
Flight records are in the Go 4 app. Top right when you open the app, the 3 dashes... flight records.

I would like to second this, Unpacked mine in Sweden some days ago not one calibration, in Germany at the moment, no calibration done still, no problems at all. So I guess this thing people say that when you  move/travel some miles/kilometers you need to calibrate is also not needed.
2017-2-4
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Flight distance : 2096562 ft
Germany

twh1968 Posted at 2017-2-4 12:43
Can anyone tell me how ( or if it's worthwhile !! ) to report my problem to DJI ? I am no further forward to discovering the cause of my "fly away" and am terrified to try flying again in case it does it again.

I think you can get more information then you did if you use the healtydrones.com siteThe atteached screen shoots show some of the information that is available there.

Skärmavbild 2017-02-04 kl. 22.08.23.png
Skärmavbild 2017-02-04 kl. 22.20.57.png
Skärmavbild 2017-02-04 kl. 22.21.18.png
2017-2-4
Use props
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks very much for the link . I have done that but i'm none the wiser , according to the info everything was fine ! All I know is i had absolutely no control despite flying with full GPS control ( I think not !!)  
2017-2-4
Use props
Dronoob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

twh1968 Posted at 2017-2-4 14:20
Thanks very much for the link . I have done that but i'm none the wiser , according to the info everything was fine ! All I know is i had absolutely no control despite flying with full GPS control ( I think not !!)

If you want better answers, we really need a video of the flight replay. As already said, you find instructions how to create a replay video at Guide: how to report a flight problem.. I have been watching such replays myself and sometimes not seen the important things until someone else pointed them out. So,let us have a look at your flight to find out what happened and if you should fly the Mavic again or get in touch with customer service.
If you are on android, there are apps like "az screen recorder - no root" that allow you to record what you are seeing on the display and you can even use your headset or the built-in microphone to record your voice comments at the same time.
2017-2-5
Use props
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I'm using iOS , but I'll try and put it up tonight. Thanks for all the help
2017-2-5
Use props
Chriscycling
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Don't rely on the App to tell you when to do compass calibrations. My new P4 out of the box was all ready to fly - no warnings on IMU, Compass or Remote calibration. 1st flight was all over the place & I was lucky not to crash. Recalibrated IMU, compass and remote. 2nd flight was a different AC - super steady with no issues. After that I just redid the compass calibration whenever I moved a reasonable distance from my last flight point - App never asked me to recalibrate. Done exactly the same with the Mavic and no issues (so far).
2017-2-5
Use props
Dronoob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

Chriscycling Posted at 2017-2-5 04:20
Don't rely on the App to tell you when to do compass calibrations. My new P4 out of the box was all ready to fly - no warnings on IMU, Compass or Remote calibration. 1st flight was all over the place & I was lucky not to crash. Recalibrated IMU, compass and remote. 2nd flight was a different AC - super steady with no issues. After that I just redid the compass calibration whenever I moved a reasonable distance from my last flight point - App never asked me to recalibrate. Done exactly the same with the Mavic and no issues (so far).

The manual of the Mavic says on page 50: "Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO 4 app or the status indicator prompt you to do so." That sounds a bit differnet from what you are suggesting.
2017-2-5
Use props
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi , ive finally managed to download the flight log and hopefully it will work on here. The only obvious thing i can see is the arrow , which i think marks the direction the Mavic is facing , is facing the wrong way ! The Mavic was facing to the left of the screen , not the top right !!
2017-2-5
Use props
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hope it worked this time
2017-02-04 (2).png
2017-2-5
Use props
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

That wasnt the file i wanted to download. The video flight plan is too large , does anyone have any ideas how to download it?
2017-2-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

twh1968 Posted at 2017-2-5 12:40
That wasnt the file i wanted to download. The video flight plan is too large , does anyone have any ideas how to download it?

You just need to download the link. And post it here
2017-2-5
Use props
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Yeah thanks , I've found out that im using a trial piece of software that wont let me sent it on. I've tried to record it on my phone ans copy it that way but im not holding out any hope. I'm going to put the rest of the healthy drone screenshots on
2017-02-04 (2).png
2017-02-04 (1).png
2017-2-5
Use props
twh1968
lvl.2

United Kingdom

At last , managed to download the video to YouTube. Here's the link   
2017-2-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced