aperture 'steps' on auto setting for video
1780 6 2017-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
punkie
lvl.3
Australia

Is anyone else finding this, or is there a way around it? If I'm shooting video on auto settings or 'shutter priority' then the aperture steps sharply as it adjusts to light conditions rather than adjusting gradually, are there settings that I may have missed which can change that? If not could a firmware update fix be able to fix it. My GH4 does this in one video mode, but in another it changes smoothly, which is much preferable. Nothing for me ruins a nice take of footage like a sudden change of aperture. I know that I can lock the exposure values, but that's not ideal.. apertures should not step like that on a video camera in my experience.
2017-2-1
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

You may need to just shoot in manual mode. I personally have never liked how cameras (DSLRs and others) adjust aperture automatically.
2017-2-2
Use props
punkie
lvl.3
Australia

why bother having auto modes then if they are unusable?
2017-2-2
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

punkie Posted at 2017-2-2 15:49
why bother having auto modes then if they are unusable?

I agree 100%, but for my tastes auto modes on almost ALL cameras are unusable for video mode, so I could do without them. For you though, I hope an update will resolved the issue.
2017-2-2
Use props
Micro Pilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 491988 ft
United Kingdom

Your problem isn't the camera stepping sharply but the light. If you shoot auto as you know the camera will adjust base on its surroundings. If the light changes harshly from where you taking a reading to the next view then it will adjust accordingly. If the light changes smoothly so would your camera. Shoot manual as much as possible to avoid this.
2017-2-2
Use props
punkie
lvl.3
Australia

Micro Pilot Posted at 2017-2-2 21:39
Your problem isn't the camera stepping sharply but the light. If you shoot auto as you know the camera will adjust base on its surroundings. If the light changes harshly from where you taking a reading to the next view then it will adjust accordingly. If the light changes smoothly so would your camera. Shoot manual as much as possible to avoid this.

I have other cameras which move the aperture smoothly during video settings, I don't see too much reason for the aperture to move in steps, unless shooting stills. Shooting manual is fine, but I'm more focused on flying when I'm filming. My preferred mode is in shutter priority, so I can hold 1/50 and have the aperture or ISO adjust to small changes in light smoothly, there is no way to adjust camera settings manually smoothly during a take, not with this equipment. Myself I think this is short sighted of Dji and hope it can be fixed with a firmware update at some point.
2017-2-3
Use props
fans168f2385
New

South Africa

Hi Punkie

I have been having the same problem. Tried to shoot today from a dark area in  between trees and climb out to reveal a sunlit building while in shutter priority. The aperture would go from F5.6 to F11 during this climb and each time the exposure would step. The video looks crap. After phone many friends and posting on Phantom pilots I may have just found the solution by accident. I got back home and tried to run some more tests, I noticed that while in shutter priority the aperture wasnt moving when going into different light conditions. I then noticed that the iso was moving instead. After some investigating I saw that you can switch an auto iso on in the camera settings. I tested again and cant see a jump or step in exposure anymore. I am happy with this but this may not help you if you want the aperture to run rather that the iso

Cheers
2017-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules